When a stranger tries to pet...

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all! Question.....how does your EBD react when a stranger swoops in and tries to pet her/his head? Joey HATES it......she is fine once she gets to know you on HER terms. Once she knows you she knows you FOREVER, including delivery people, mail people, etc.

I'm wondering if this is how it is for all EBD......Joey will be 2 years old May 31st, she NEVER nips or bites but if a stranger tries to touch her she will back up and bark.

Thoughts? Personal experience?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine is the opposite. When on walks he pulls on the leash because the people walking by aren't petting him. Once he has gotten a greeting and pats he will ignore you.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Zoey is sometimes apprehensive and skittish, but once she feels assured she'll roll over on her back. Lala is everyone's best friend and will approach anyone without reserve. Pippy could care less about people or other dogs. She's just lives in her own little world and if someone wants to pet her they certainly can but she is constantly on the move and difficult to corral. Strikes likes everyone and always likes a good scratching from anyone. Kash has a Canine IQ in the negatives and would not care one way or the other. If someone did pet him, within 10 seconds, he wouldn't recall what it felt like or who did it or when it was done or that it was ever done.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I think they all have their own insecurities. Tyson is also the opposite of Joey, he gets so excited when any person, stranger or not wants to pet him. His tail starts going a hundred miles an hour, lol well, his little nub. How are you around strangers? Any chance Joey is picking up on your senses which is why she reacts that way?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I think they all have their own insecurities. Tyson is also the opposite of Joey, he gets so excited when any person, stranger or not wants to pet him. His tail starts going a hundred miles an hour, lol well, his little nub. How are you around strangers? Any chance Joey is picking up on your senses which is why she reacts that way?

Since you've asked the question Jessica it made me think. Here is why I posted the question. I should NOT say all strangers, on walks Joey just wants to say hello and kiss EVERYONE, but on her front porch, which is gated, a flower delivery person came up, had a hoodie on with the hood up and immediately reached over the fence to pet Joey, she HATED that, backed up and barked.

The other more recent situation, this past weekend, I was at a relative's house for the weekend, Joey and I stayed there with her because her husband (my cousin) passed away suddenly. Anyway someone that Joey knows very well came to the house with his wife, Joey had never met the wife and she tried to pet Joey's head and Joey did not like that, Joey was fine after she got to know her.

I don't think she is picking it up from me, I'm just not sure. Since it is not all the time, not consistent, I just can't put my finger on it so was hoping for some guidance :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Thanks for the insight, Zoey and Joey might be a little alike, Joey will always end up loving everyone, BUT if she does not know you she will reserve her opinion for a moment :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Since you've asked the question Jessica it made me think. Here is why I posted the question. I should NOT say all strangers, on walks Joey just wants to say hello and kiss EVERYONE, but on her front porch, which is gated, a flower delivery person came up, had a hoodie on with the hood up and immediately reached over the fence to pet Joey, she HATED that, backed up and barked.

The other more recent situation, this past weekend, I was at a relative's house for the weekend, Joey and I stayed there with her because her husband (my cousin) passed away suddenly. Anyway someone that Joey knows very well came to the house with his wife, Joey had never met the wife and she tried to pet Joey's head and Joey did not like that, Joey was fine after she got to know her.

I don't think she is picking it up from me, I'm just not sure. Since it is not all the time, not consistent, I just can't put my finger on it so was hoping for some guidance :)

It sounds like she's protective over you and your house. Which in a way is pretty normal. Like you said, as long as she's not nipping or lunging at anyone. She is probably in protective mode, until she sees that you are "ok" with that person. I've been in similar situations when Tyson was younger. When we were out on walks, he would remain pretty reserved if a stranger approached (I think he was being protective, and at the same time waiting for my reaction) if I completely ignored the person and they walked by, he would ignore and just watch them as they passed. If I said perhaps "hello" to the person his tail wagged a bit. And of course if they stopped & started talking to me, and I spoke back - he would basically invite himself into their personal space asking for pets, LOL

So I think with Joey, its partial being protective over mama & "her" house and partial waiting to see how you respond. Personally I appreciated his responses because I felt protected by him. (still do) We had one rare incident where I was out with him well past midnight and there was a guy with a hoodie on across the street from us. I got scared, and he read into it. He stood firm, and with his chest out, the guy started to cross the street towards us (I was in pure panic mode) and Tyson immediately started growling. The guy stopped two steps off the curb from the other side and said "oh, is he mean?" I just responded "yes, very protective" and he kept walking. I'll have you know that Tyson would not move, he turned his entire body all the way around to make sure the guy was still walking away. Guy had to have been down about 5-6 houses before Tyson finally let up, and continued the walk. I was so astonished, but so proud of my boy for protecting his mama. He's never been an aggressive type, so it floored me.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Thanks Jessica, it makes more sense to me now. I too was taken aback by Joey's posture when the guy approached the porch and stuck his hand over the fence, Joey merely backed up and started really barking but as I approached and spoke to the delivery person she got better, BUT still was not quite sure. I myself would NEVER approach a dog that I didn't know and immediately go for their head....but that's me. Thanks again, Joey's reactions are making more sense now. She also may have been picking up on the energy of the gathering this past weekend too......I think they are really sensitive to those things.....

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Thanks Jessica, it makes more sense to me now. I too was taken aback by Joey's posture when the guy approached the porch and stuck his hand over the fence, Joey merely backed up and started really barking but as I approached and spoke to the delivery person she got better, BUT still was not quite sure. I myself would NEVER approach a dog that I didn't know and immediately go for their head....but that's me. Thanks again, Joey's reactions are making more sense now. She also may have been picking up on the energy of the gathering this past weekend too......I think they are really sensitive to those things.....

I think she's perfect! While I love that Tyson is so friendly and outgoing, I can appreciate the fact that he also picks up on my instincts and respond accordingly. He will also bark at a knock or the doorbell. Tell Joey to keep being a perfect little girl, she is precious and we need more pics of her please & thank you. :havemyheart:

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I think she's perfect! While I love that Tyson is so friendly and outgoing, I can appreciate the fact that he also picks up on my instincts and respond accordingly. He will also bark at a knock or the doorbell. Tell Joey to keep being a perfect little girl, she is precious and we need more pics of her please & thank you. :havemyheart:

Oh thank you Jess!! I feel much better now.....Here are a few photos from our weekend trip, Joey sleep sitting in the car and Joey making herself right at home at my cousin's house.

IMG_5277.jpgIMG_5281.jpgIMG_5285.jpg

OMG please pardon her nails, NEVER that long but with funeral and out of town trips we missed her appointment...until yesterday....all trimmed now :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh thank you Jess!! I feel much better now.....Here are a few photos from our weekend trip, Joey sleep sitting in the car and Joey making herself right at home at my cousin's house.

View attachment 103887View attachment 103888View attachment 103889

OMG please pardon her nails, NEVER that long but with funeral and out of town trips we missed her appointment...until yesterday....all trimmed now :)

You just made my Valentines!!!!! Thank you for the adorable pics, I just LOVE her. :drawheart:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is a social butterfly. She loves all the attention she can get when we are out and about. However, at home if something is not right she will let us know but nothing gets her hackles to stand up more than the silly squirrel in the back yard that will come up to the patio door just to antagonize her.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] What is with squirrels?? I believe it's how they entertain themselves :) Thanks for the input!

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
My Henry loves anyone and everyone. I always joke that if I was getting mugged or something and Henry was with me he would just be wiggling his butt trying to get pets the entire time

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey loves everyone. I mean everyone. Friends, Foes, murderers, child molesters, everyone. For some reason he will wiggle his butt off for men more than women. I suppose he associates all men similar to me as the "good guys". There is only one individual who he dislike very much, my nephew. It is because he always teases him.

When he meets someone trying to pet him, he will walk slowly to them with head and ears down in a submissive position.

Don't be knocking on my door however as Harvey will let out his baritone bark telling the would be intruder that the household is protected. Different story when he makes it inside as he will probably lick him/her to death and have the intruder have his/her way with my stuff. It's all good.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.