MaddyRose

Feb 7, 2017
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Butch
Hi guys,

I have a 2yr old male British bulldog not neutered

I have a few things I would love to discuss with fellow bulldog owners!

1. Whenever I take him out the back to use the toliet I take him off his leash and then when it's time to come back up he starts to get quite aggressive, growling and when I finally get the lash on his collar he insists on taking the leash in is mouth and not allowing me to have hold of the leash obviously I try to be the dominant one and tell him no and take the leash out of his mouth but man is he bloody strong and sometimes I let him just carry on is there anything I can do training to help this?

2. Playing this is honestly starting to not be fun anymore his playing is starting to be kinda aggressive he always bites like not to the point of pain but he definitely marks the skin and on some occasions has broke the skin he kinda like jumps on you and attacks? Is this normally puppy behaviour? Will he eventually grow out of this? How can I tell him that biting isn't playing?

3. He is especially aggressive and dominating to my 13yr old sister and brothers whom live out of home. How can I remind him that's his not the alpha?

4. Last one I swear, my bulldog absolutely hates loving cuddling towards him he is okay with it if he is the one to come up to you and lick you and nudge and sit with myself, but when i try to do it towards him he completely ignores me and blatantly walks off? I'm the exactly the same towards people, as is most of my family could he be sending this from us or does he just hate affection? Haha kinda a silly one but it still matters to me, I just want to make sure he loves me.

Sorry for all questions at once is my first time using these things and talking to people who have British bulldogs so I have all these questions and I just wanted to get them all down haha.

Thanks

By the way my dogs name is Butch lol!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Sounds like you have a "teenager" on your hands... Lol Butch is displaying puppy behaviors, and YES bulldogs are goofballs by nature but he is trying to take over the entire house. Has he ever had any formal training or puppy kindergarten classes? He needs to understand that the humans are in charge of the house...

There is a program called Nothing in Life is Free, that talks in detail about taking charge of your dog and his behavior... or you get a dog trainer involved. I like using a trainer because they come to your home and see firsthand how things are going. Everybody needs to be on the same page for training to work effectively...

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...commended-reading-training-behavior-help.html
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Sounds like you have a "teenager" on your hands... Lol Butch is displaying puppy behaviors, and YES bulldogs are goofballs by nature but he is trying to take over the entire house. Has he ever had any formal training or puppy kindergarten classes? He needs to understand that the humans are in charge of the house...

There is a program called Nothing in Life is Free, that talks in detail about taking charge of your dog and his behavior... or you get a dog trainer involved. I like using a trainer because they come to your home and see firsthand how things are going. Everybody needs to be on the same page for training to work effectively...

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...commended-reading-training-behavior-help.html
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html
[MENTION=16831]MaddyRose[/MENTION] ... Tracey has given you fantastic information. Your boy is pushing the limits and knows you are an easy target! back to training basis and use 'nothing in life is free' Butch is 'owning' you and he needs to know you are the boss not him.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi guys,

I have a 2yr old male British bulldog not neutered

I have a few things I would love to discuss with fellow bulldog owners!

1. Whenever I take him out the back to use the toliet I take him off his leash and then when it's time to come back up he starts to get quite aggressive, growling and when I finally get the lash on his collar he insists on taking the leash in is mouth and not allowing me to have hold of the leash obviously I try to be the dominant one and tell him no and take the leash out of his mouth but man is he bloody strong and sometimes I let him just carry on is there anything I can do training to help this?

2. Playing this is honestly starting to not be fun anymore his playing is starting to be kinda aggressive he always bites like not to the point of pain but he definitely marks the skin and on some occasions has broke the skin he kinda like jumps on you and attacks? Is this normally puppy behaviour? Will he eventually grow out of this? How can I tell him that biting isn't playing?

3. He is especially aggressive and dominating to my 13yr old sister and brothers whom live out of home. How can I remind him that's his not the alpha?

4. Last one I swear, my bulldog absolutely hates loving cuddling towards him he is okay with it if he is the one to come up to you and lick you and nudge and sit with myself, but when i try to do it towards him he completely ignores me and blatantly walks off? I'm the exactly the same towards people, as is most of my family could he be sending this from us or does he just hate affection? Haha kinda a silly one but it still matters to me, I just want to make sure he loves me.

Sorry for all questions at once is my first time using these things and talking to people who have British bulldogs so I have all these questions and I just wanted to get them all down haha.

Thanks

By the way my dogs name is Butch lol!

Hi there I had several of your issues with George we can't play with him for the reasons you outlined and also he's not much into affection. I'm fairly convinced the affection issue is lack of human interaction as a very young puppy (litter stage). We have entirely given up trying to play with him as he seems to hate it. He likes a lot of calm and quiet. You are not alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
Any "teenager" dog can be challenging because they are meant to be exploring their boundaries & need discipline (positive reinforcement) like people do, but I've found after having my bulldog that a tough thing with him is that compared to other breeds I've had, he isn't as interested in pleasing me as much as himself! For example, on the other side of the spectrum, my border collie pups/teens would act out but also still respond more to wanting to please me so I could train them with rewards of my affection/or withdrawing affection, and showing that I'm pleased or displeased with them...and they learn quickly this way. With my english bulldog and french bulldog on the other side of the spectrum, I have to have to use treats (food) more often for training as their reward - they are more about "what's in it for me?" So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to know what can get your dog's attention and make him want to do something - what does he care about? Hopefully he likes food and you can use it as a training tool to get through to him so he can learn more quickly. Like the others say, the nothing in life is free method is great because it turns everyday situations into training opportunities to teach them manners (because they like to be bossy-pants) - example if they want up on the couch with you, it's something they want, so make them do something like sit and stay before you allow them up- make them work for it. Also to your questions - basically some bulldogs want to be bossy and control situations and you may have to modify your behavior to not let them - for example, walk him to go to the bathroom on a leash so he's not able to be bossy or aggressive when trying to get him back on. Or, try having some food with you to reward him when you put the leash on. When it comes to biting - never let his teeth touch human skin, and when it does even if it doesn't hurt give a firm "no!", or a loud "ouch!" and stop playing and withdrawal your playtime (reward)- a lot of bulldogs are "mouthy" and need to be doing something with it so give them a nylabone or something to chew on that they CAN direct that desire towards and tell him he's good when he chews on the right thing. And most dogs need to learn that their teeth hurt human skin so saying "ouch" and pulling away is a way to show them it hurts and that behavior ends the fun times but it will take repetition for him to catch on. When someone comes over, keep him on the leash so he's under your control (not jumping/biting) or keep him in his crate - don't give him the opportunity to hurt anyone. Most bulldogs also need exercise & the LOVE routines, contrary to what a lot of people think, especially when they're a teenager so make sure to walk him every morning or afternoon around the block so he gets some of that energy released and you get an opportunity to train him to be next to you. Also, stay calm and firm with correcting him and try not to get frustrated- it just takes repetition and consistency & teenager dogs do make most people want to pull their hair out sometimes so that's normal. Also, I'm not sure everyone on here likes The Dog Whisperer techniques personally, I think watching some of his shows on youtube can teach you more about training yourself to be a good owner that some challenging dogs need. Basically, I think a lot of people don't realize how much work bulldogs can be- I know I didn't when I first got one! On affection - different dogs like more or less affection, like people, and I know my bulldog Tater only wants affection on his time- I lovingly call him "my little brat" because I want to snuggle with him sometimes and he pulls away or moves, whereas my french bulldog I can cuddle with whenever I want -but dogs don't understand affection the same way we do so it doesn't mean he doesn't love you - he's just more independent. I notice when it's cold in my house Tater magically wants to cuddle with me more but I'm pretty sure its so I can be his heating pad- hah! Also, try paying attention to learn his eyes/ears /body expressions & what they mean so you know how he's feeling/ reacting. Good luck & don't let Butch become Mr. Bossy Butch ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.