Puppy Harness

Tilden

Jan 22, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
We are getting our baby in 2 weeks. Needing know what we need for Roxy who will be 8 weeks old. Start with a harness ( if so with one) or just a collar and when to with to harness. Don't want her to roam free while out and about like at petsmart.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always used a harness. Don't like the idea of pulling on a pup(or any dog's neck).

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We are getting our baby in 2 weeks. Needing know what we need for Roxy who will be 8 weeks old. Start with a harness ( if so with one) or just a collar and when to with to harness. Don't want her to roam free while out and about like at petsmart.

So exciting for you!!!!! Can't wait to see photos!! I had both for Joey when she was a pup but quickly switched to harness until she walked nicely on the leash. PLEASE do not take Roxy to Petsmart until she has had FULL ROUND of shots, ask the vet. Someone here advised me of this when I first brought Joey home and it was not until she was much older that she went inside Petco with me. This is because even though Roxy will have her shots there might be dogs in there that are sick and that are not up on their shots. Talk to your vet or maybe someone here will chime in as to when, in age or shot protocol, that it will be safe for your baby to be out and about.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Lynn, thoughts on Petco trip?

Photos please :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] [MENTION=16784]Tilden[/MENTION] I,personally would not take any pup to Petco, or any other place where dogs have been, until the pup has had all it's shots. I believe that would be asking for trouble. Not everyone who takes their dog in a public place keeps up with shots.

OP
T

Tilden

Jan 22, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Thank you, have a vet visit for 48 hours after we get home i will make sure i ask then when she can go out and about. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

OP
T

Tilden

Jan 22, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Any Recommendation for Harness I know what I'm going with she's older. I just did not know about been eight weeks old which one to go with.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Any Recommendation for Harness I know what I'm going with she's older. I just did not know about been eight weeks old which one to go with.
So, I trained on a collar/leash. Bass was a very easy trainee…I used a leash that made a clicking sound and trained him to stop/start w/the clicks…I got him his harness when he was at a size that was close to what is full adult size was going to be (around 2 or 2.5 years, I believe) <Don't remember exact time…I did this to ensure fit so I wouldn't have to keep upgrading harnesses. If you have a "puller" it is best to switch to a harness (instead of collar leash) no matter what the age/size - so that there will be no pulling on the neck/airway.

Most Reactions