AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Hi All! so we have had our puppy since Thanksgiving and housebreaking has not been going that great. He does understand that he needs to go to the door to go potty, however he is still peeing and pooping in the house. This guy pees a lot! He will go out and then 15 mins later need to go again. Also, I really think he prefers to poop in the house. Example, this morning he went to the door to go out. I watched him and he went right to poop. He did a little bit and came back into the house. 30 minutes later, we find he him pooping again in the living room. Overnight recently has also gotten bad. We had a couple weeks where he was clean overnight and recently the last two weeks, every night he is pooping in his kennel and he lays in it. It is a lot of poop too. I am wondering if he is too distracted when he goes out or just lazy? I am really thinking about getting a diaper for him to wear as we are at our wits end.

If anyone has any training tips, or recommendations for a correct size diaper, I would really appreciate it. We just want to get him trained so we can all relax and enjoy him :)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hi there...Ellie is pretty young then right? When you say "I watched him" what do you mean? Are you taking him out on a leash?

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
You really need to go out with him each time and praise like crazy right on the spot, that way he understand what he supposed to do and where he's supposed to do it.:)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=13584]NicosMom[/MENTION] You took the words right out of my mouth! Nicely said :)

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi there, this is actually Beaux. Ellie is our older female. I need to update my profile. No, he is not on a leash, we let him in the backyard and sometimes I go out with him, or watch him from the backdoor to ensure that he goes and doesn't just play the whole time. If Ellie goes out with him, he will follow her around.

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
he does get praise and treats if he goes outside. He has come a long way going to the backdoor and standing there letting us know he has to go. Its the fact that he doesn't finish all the way when hes out there. He almost forgets he has to do both.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
As [MENTION=13584]NicosMom[/MENTION] says should be on a leash. If I were in your position I would start back at square one to RE-TRAIN the puppy. The BEST way to prevent bad habits is to never let them begin. In this case it sounds like the bad habit is the fact he is going in the house.

I read here at this forum that the bond built between pup and owner starts with the leash. The pup will eventually equate the leash and you TAKING him outside to complete his business. The pup needs some type of ritual to make a lasting impression, ie the leash, you, outside, potty, LOTS OF PRAISE, and treat.....back inside. How does your older female do in the house?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=11079]AmandaPeterson[/MENTION] Wonderful with your older female! OK so maybe you did not need to figure out housebreaking with her, but obviously with Beaux you'll need a strong routine
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] posted a great link, check it out. I think the advice that I received was the best, constant supervision, prevent accidents before they happen and take your pup out yourself, on a leash. Keep reading, start back at square one like you just brought him home. It really works, hang in there :)

Members online

No members online now.