another pee question

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi all! So, Dozer is very attached to me (aww :) ). When I go out somewhere and my brother in law and/or husband are home, Dozer won't go out to pee for them. They'll open the door, but he won't go. Even if they go out ahead of him. Then he'll have an accident. I know he is probably too attached to me. He does great otherwise, but he'll have accidents when I'm not home. I don't think he's doing it on purpose. I think he just cant hold it anymore. Any suggestions?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They will have to take him out on a leash,and wait until he pees!Then give him a small treat. [MENTION=15395]megdav[/MENTION]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree, they will have to work on "training" him as well. Meaning reward, praise, etc. Even if they have to pick him up to take him out.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks! We'll try the leash. My brother in law just told me that Dozer did go out for him 3 times but didn't pee. Then when they were inside, a little later, Dozer peed. :( But I suppose if he takes him out on a leash and waits, he'll eventually go. I hope.

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
I agree, I'd leash him to get him outside. It might take some time (well they are out there), but once he's done it a few times, and been rewarded - Dozer will catch on real quick!!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks! We'll try the leash. My brother in law just told me that Dozer did go out for him 3 times but didn't pee. Then when they were inside, a little later, Dozer peed. :( But I suppose if he takes him out on a leash and waits, he'll eventually go. I hope.
Yes, he will eventually go..taking him in before he goes is putting it in his head that he has the "say so" and will reinforce him thinking he doesn't have to "go" for them. Another bully owner just recently told me that her bully will only go for walks just with her…I kinda find this adorable and hysterical (but understand the frustration).

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I agree with the previous posts and think it might be important to make him see the difference between going out into the garden (which is what I suppose you mean by opening the door) and going for a proper walk. Some dogs might pee in the garden but would never poop unless out for a walk outside of their territory.

Most Reactions