Help Needed! Bed wetting.

Dave1989

Jan 14, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hi guys.
New to the forum. I was wondering if anyone could help with the bedwetting issue. As soon as he gets given any kind bedding whether it is a pillow or sheet during the night he will urinate on it without fail. Its not a little bit but full on saturated. He is on a routine which fits in with mine. Im up late so he goes outside before bed and im up at 6 in the morning to let him out. We have tried limiting his fluid intake. Its to much to handle some times as he literally lies in his own urine. It doesnt phase him. For the past 4 months he has slept with no bedding of any kind on the kitchen floor and there has been no issues. Im not sure if he is marking his possesions if he has a bed? I really hoped he would grow out of it but he hasn't. I feel really bad that he can't have a bed. As far as behaviour in general goes for George he is golden. No issues apart from the bed a wetting. George never goes on the floor during the day when I am at work or at night. He gets plenty of attention from the whole family. No draughts as far as I can tell. He is on a sensitive pro plan food and is regularly checked by the vets. He is 11 months old now.

Any ideas or tips would be great. Ideally I would love for him to end up in a bed but I can't be met with cleaning up a puddle and bathing the dog every morning before work.

Thankyou for your time

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Boy does this seem to be a common occurrence for these guys... My boy Hank did it as well but thankfully< quit it! There are some real good helpers here so just hold on and I'm sure you'll get some good stuff. There are great beds called "Kuranda" bed. I have one of those and also the "cool a roo" I think it's called (much cheaper and he loves them both the same!) Anyway, best of luck.. My boys 11 months too :)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I took bedding away and reintroduced months later. He just couldn't handle it when he was younger.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... some just can not have any bedding-- no real explanation, they just will pee on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Dave,

--Good Day,

First...:welcome4:

Jewel and Bentley say hello George and David.

David...it sounds like you solved your own problem...leave George in the kitchen with no bedding. I would not limit his water during the day and allow George 24 hour access to water. Question: How old is George?

This is not sounding like a UTI but a behavioral issue more than anything else. But then again, if frequency and urgency occur, then a trip to the Vet is in order.

That is my 2 Pence work.

Again Welcome to EBN and remember you are never alone here. Just start a thread and one of us will chime in.

Cheers,

--rj

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I took bedding away and reintroduced months later. He just couldn't handle it when he was younger.

:goodpost: That's what I would do for my bullies... and sometimes it just clicks to STOP peeing!!!

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Our Reggie is 21 weeks now and is exactly the same.
We got him 2 beds so we could rotate them for washing, and the minute a new one went in, he'd pee on it, we think to mark his territory. And the same if a freshly washed blanket went on top, except he wouldn't sleep on it - he'd spend an uncomfortable night trying to avoid the wet patch!

He's too young to allow sleeping outside of his crate, so we tried taking all bedding away but then he would dig atthe plastic tray at the bottom - soooooo loud!!
We recently had to get him a new bed as he had grown out of those 2, and it seems he likes this one a lot more. The first time he got in it he sniffed for ages and then peed, since then (nearly 2 weeks ago) he has not peed on it at all, so we are wondering if he just didn't like the old beds!!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Are you against crate training? You didn't mention a crate and if you want to go back to trying a bed instead of kitchen floor, you could try introducing the bed inside the crate…there is controversy on this method, but it has worked for some.
When the bed is in the crate and crate is used only for sleeping/private safe space, it has reversed bed-wetting on blankets/beds…I have no idea why. If he still pees in the crate, on the bed then not the method for you, but it's worth a shot if you're sad about him sleeping on the floor.
Otherwise, like Kim suggested wait until he's older and try to reintroduce.

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I'm having this same problem with our bully. We just got a cot bed last week and she is still peeing on it!

Our big problem is we have a greyhound as well and he needs a bed. He's too bony to sleep on the floor. So our bulldog pees on his bed half the time. It used to be here and there but lately it is every night. No accidents during the day while we're at work for 8 hours or when we're home in the evening. Always at night.

We've begun taking her out for a walk right before bedtime at 11 pm so we're sure she has had a pee (lots of praise when she pees)- we've been doing this for only two nights and had no accident the first night, but there was one last night.

Now we're thinking we're going to separate the dogs at night. Greyhound can sleep in the living room with a bed and bulldog has to sleep in the kitchen/dining room without a bed. I just feel awful taking away her bed, she loves her little bed!

Is this a good route to take? Any other suggestions?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.