what to do when they want to pull/jerk your arms out of there sockets

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I think I have one of the easiest sweet dogs to train, and feel fortunate that he wants to please. But........... when he sees something he wants while out walking, he will get back on his haunches and then lunge for it.. And goes deaf! I know (or I think) clicker training is not used the way I thinking of, but I just think If I could find something (some noise?) to break his trance, he would give up his desire to pull and come for the treat... He just doesn't hear me when in that mode. Any suggestions??

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
You have to divert him before he gets into this mode. If you see one of his triggers coming, put him in a sit and stay, reward him and make him remain sitting aned tell him, to stay in a calm voice until the trigger is gone. this may take some time but he will eventually get it that he is not to repond by lungeing and pulling.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
You have to divert him before he gets into this mode. If you see one of his triggers coming, put him in a sit and stay, reward him and make him remain sitting aned tell him, to stay in a calm voice until the trigger is gone. this may take some time but he will eventually get it that he is not to repond by lungeing and pulling.

Im most certain this is what our trainer taught us...We NEED to practice it, Ellie has not been a good girl with cars going up and down our road while we go out for potty breaks

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks! and I do definitely know his triggers, and I even know where to go to practice... And I know what treats he likes and everything :) Just needed to know what to do with it ... ya know, put it all together :) Thanks so much!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:goodpost:

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Same!!
Reggie just goes nuts trying to say hello to people, play with pigeons etc :D And its like I'm just not there.
Our trainer said whenever he starts pulling, we need to stop moving until he is calm and responsive. If he just won't stop then turn around & try to go the other way even if it means picking him up.
So basically he NEVER gets to where he wants to go by pulling.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.