Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

Default Bad Reggie

Hi all,

We've only been on here for a few days, and I've been scouring the site looking for other bullys that show the same behaviour as our Reggie. I think its easier if I just start a new thread, as he has quite a few issues.

Info about Reggie -
    Age - 19 weeks
    Weight - Just over 14kg
    Age we got him - 8 weeks
    Food - Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy (bison & venison)
    Currently teething his adult teeth

1. Biting, growling and what seems like aggression
    This is the worst of his behaviour issues. It comes from nowhere.
    He will be playing happily by himself, or chewing his antler or horn, and then all of a sudden will run at one of us & bite whatever he can reach. This is not just mouthing, its full on teeth as hard as he can. He has drawn blood on both me & Kev more times than I can count.

2. Resource guarding
    He's fine with his food, and will accept either of us approaching his bowl while eating. Its toys that are Reggies problem, BIG time.
    Its getting to the point where we can hardly play with him, he's just so vicious if we have hold of one of his toys.
    He always lunges at the toy, or if he cant get at it, he bites whoever is holding it. Occassionally we can jump up & very sternly say 'SIT' and he will restrain himself (its almost like you can see it in his face, that he wanted to bite but held back), then he has to give us paw before having the toy back. But most of the time its just bites.

He always gets time out's for these behavoiurs, immediately. He stays in there until he is calm and then has to sit and give us paw before he is allowed out again. 9 times out of 10 he immediately pee's on his bed when put into time out.

3. Nervousness/anxiety
    Since being scared by a firework not long after we got him, he is a nightmare to walk outside. He will leave the house okay, mostly, but as soon as he hears a loud noise he gets terrified and bolts for the house. Sometimes I only get out for 10 seconds before having to go back.
    At night its even worse and he won't walk at all if only one of us goes out with him.
    If its both me & Kev on the walk he's like a different puppy. He walks like a superstar during the day, and at night is much more willing to overcome his fears, although he is still nervous of traffic and petrified by double decker buses.

He also hates the car. Whether in the front or back he hates it. Mostly he just lays on my lap and suckles my arm for the whole journey, so my coat is soaking through to the clothes beneath it. Occassionally he freaks out so badly he really growls and bites whatever part of me he can get, even snapping at my face.

4. Excitement
    He just will not stop trying to get to people to say hello! We use the Julius K9 powerharness to try and hold him back but he pulls on it sooooo much he is basically laying flat but with front paws off the ground. We NEVER let him get anywhere when he does this, but after 11 weeks he is still showing no sign of improvement. When he does greet someone he always tries to jump.
    Other people are probably our worst enemy when it comes to this because by the time we can say "please wait before saying hello, we are training him" they have already come over to enthusiastically greet the cute puppy.
    Even when restrained his excitement level just doesn't abate, and he will start barking at the person he wants to say hello to.

5. Testicles
    This may or may not be anything to do with the behaviour problems, but he has none!
    When he arrived with us he had 1 testicle descended, although the breeder said he had both when her vet examined him. We have never seen that one, and 2 weeks ago (17 weeks old) the other one disappeared, not to be seen again!

We have tried positive reinforcement, and started NILIF although he hasn't been well (diarreah sp?) diagnosed as an irritated colon. So NILIF has been hard to follow as I have to make sure he drinks whenever he needs it.
    We are now unsure what our options are regarding training, but kev is at the point where he is thinking of rehoming Reggie. It would not be a decision we took lightly, and would be the saddest day of my life, but kev has to think of his son who comes to stay with us and Reggie has, and does go for him too.
    Sorry for the super long post but we need help, I feel like we are failing him somehow.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bad Reggie

Forgot to add some info -

He humps. A LOT! He has since we got him at 8 weeks old. He's a pretty aggressive lover too, and there is a lot of biting and really harsh growling. Kev's knees & thighs get bit, I'm short and he can actually reach up to bite my *** now.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I would have a good bulldog experienced vet do a full examination of Reggie and make sure he is not in any pain - just to rule it out.

Also, at 19 weeks he is in great place to fix all of this... I would hire a behaviorist/trainer to come into your home and work with all of you to get him in place. Resource guarding is very hard to break and you need to get that one under control before it can not be fixed. if it is toy he has issue with, take the toy, allow him to see it when you remove it, but he should not be able to reach it, if he jumps, keep him on leash so you can easily grab and control him.

If either of you are nervous or anxious about him or his behavior, he is feeding off of that which will add to his issue -- you have to be confident and firm, which is sometimes the harder part in all of the training.

PLEASE keep us posted and more members will chime in to help with their advice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for replying

He has been examined by 3 vets and 2 nurses. They all say health wise he is fine, although none has thought a blood test is in order. The only problem he has is his irritated colon, and a slight eye problem which they think is just from him running into things.

He is currently in pain teething his adult teeth, which seems much worse than the baby ones.

We have had a trainer come to our house. Reggie was the perfect puppy so he couldn't really advise us on problems he couldn't see.
    Reggie did start barking at his hat on the chair, which the trainer said was a fear response. So he threw his hat on the floor and told us to ignore Reggie and let him figure it out by himself, which he did. He barked for a minute or 2, and then sniffed it and got over it really quick.

He has also completed puppy classes, with a rosette for best 'leave it' in class.

He also eats everything he shouldn't. We are constantly checking poo for stones etc. So far we have found 6 stones of varying sizes, a wooden shelf hinge, and he threw up a large bottle cap. We are SO vigilant when walking him, but somehow some of them sneak through and if he knows I'm going to try and get something out of his mouth he swallows it really quick.
    Last edited by Reggies Parents; 01-03-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: More info

5. Likes Jersey liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reggies Parents View Post
    Thanks for replying

He has been examined by 3 vets and 2 nurses. They all say health wise he is fine, although none has thought a blood test is in order. The only problem he has is his irritated colon, and a slight eye problem which they think is just from him running into things.

He is currently in pain teething his adult teeth, which seems much worse than the baby ones.

We have had a trainer come to our house. Reggie was the perfect puppy so he couldn't really advise us on problems he couldn't see.
    Reggie did start barking at his hat on the chair, which the trainer said was a fear response. So he threw his hat on the floor and told us to ignore Reggie and let him figure it out by himself, which he did. He barked for a minute or 2, and then sniffed it and got over it really quick.

He has also completed puppy classes, with a rosette for best 'leave it' in class.

He also eats everything he shouldn't. We are constantly checking poo for stones etc. So far we have found 6 stones of varying sizes, a wooden shelf hinge, and he threw up a large bottle cap. We are SO vigilant when walking him, but somehow some of them sneak through and if he knows I'm going to try and get something out of his mouth he swallows it really quick.

Ok, then based on all you tell me here... Reggie might not be the issue... he sees a weakness somewhere in you and Kev. If he was perfect with the trainer and in classes, then it leads me to think he is sensing a lack of leadership and therefore acting out. Are you and Kev on the exact same page with training... always doing the same commands, rules and limitations? Are you confident when working with him? He senses some hesitation or nervousness and is feeding off it. Maybe have the trainer come back out and tell you what you can strength in your working with Reggie. Demonstrate exactly what he is doing when the trainer is not there... video if you can, especially the toy guarding, that is the one I would be most worried about.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Ok, then based on all you tell me here... Reggie might not be the issue... he sees a weakness somewhere in you and Kev. If he was perfect with the trainer and in classes, then it leads me to think he is sensing a lack of leadership and therefore acting out. Are you and Kev on the exact same page with training... always doing the same commands, rules and limitations? Are you confident when working with him? He senses some hesitation or nervousness and is feeding off it. Maybe have the trainer come back out and tell you what you can strength in your working with Reggie. Demonstrate exactly what he is doing when the trainer is not there... video if you can, especially the toy guarding, that is the one I would be most worried about.
    ↑↑↑↑↑THIS!↑↑↑↑↑

The trainer should have spent MOST of their time training you...not simply demonstrating their ability to control your pup.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    ↑↑↑↑↑THIS!↑↑↑↑↑

The trainer should have spent MOST of their time training you...not simply demonstrating their ability to control your pup.
    He did spend time teaching us things after observing how Reggie interacted with certain things. Some of what he said has been helpful but his advice for certain situations where you just cannot ignore the bad behaviour was to use a shaker (stones in a bottle). We didn't think that wasa good idea for a puppy that is very fear reactive to noises. Has anyone else used a shaker or similar?

9. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    .... video if you can, especially the toy guarding, that is the one I would be most worried about.
    We actually had some progress with this last night.
    I kept him shut outside the baby gate while I went around and bagged up all his toys. Then they stayed up on the sofa behind us - so we are now the keepers of the toys, and he must work to get one.
    I actually managed to play fetch with him (almost) happily. I had plenty of treats and kept the clicker in my hand cos when he see's that little orange thing he knows there is food to be had if he listens.
    He only had to go into time out 3 times for snatching/biting, which is a small miracle

I think part of the problem is that he is 1 of a litter of 2. Mum was separated early as she is known for sitting on her pups, and he and his sister were kept separate as the breeder said they were always fighting. So he's never really learned bite inhibition or manners. Its been our job to teach him those things from 8 weeks onward, when he should have been having them instilled much earlier.
    Last edited by Reggies Parents; 01-04-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: More info

11. Likes asherose, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it's very important for pups to learn manners from Mom. Separated too early can create a monster.

Try to establish a default behavior, a single default behavior. Something you can go to/back to at any time. A good/simple one is having him sit...either next to you of in front of you. Practice this default EVERY day...repeat, repeat, repeat. Once this behavior is followed on command EVERY time it's requested then start introducing other commands.

For example, no matter what our Pippy is doing, no matter how fired up she is or how tired she is, she does her default behavior on command. Hers is "TOUCH IT"! "Pippy, touch it". She will come and touch her nose to an outstretched hand and stand in front of me. She NEVER ignores this command. Your boy can learn something like this and build upon it.
    Default behavior.

The rattle can is a distraction that brings the dog's focus back to you...it's not meant to frighten. If it's scaring your pup then try something else...something that grabs attention without scaring.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

The rattle can is a distraction that brings the dog's focus back to you...it's not meant to frighten. If it's scaring your pup then try something else...something that grabs attention without scaring.
    Thanks for the info, for some reason I didn't see it as a distraction technique. We haven't used it as we were worried about scaring him, but I will definitely try different noises to distract and bring focus back. The trouble is he doesn't like noises at all - he is soooo barky!! The trainer at puppy class remarked on it several times "bulldogs aren't supposed to be barkers!".
    Will try and find noises that distract but don't scare.

We weren't aware how early he was separated from mum until the day we picked him up. The trouble with our breeder is that she is more used to breeding German Shepherds, I think English Bulldogs are a relatively new thing for her - 2 litters maybe.

Thanks for the idea of a default behaviour too. Sit would be a good one, I'd say we have this 90% of the time. The only times he doesn't are when he's over excited, and a couple of times he has just looked at me with pure defiance and walked away to chew on my table!

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reggies Parents View Post
    Thanks for the info, for some reason I didn't see it as a distraction technique.
    We've never used the rattle can as a training tool. That's not to say that it does not have a useful purpose. Once the distraction(from bad behavior) is made, it's important to redirect the trainee to favorable behavior and once favorable behavior is demonstrated, immediately reward. I cannot imagine a rattle can used for any other purpose. Consistent and regular training is VERY important. You can do this...common sense and a little guidance can achieve great things.
    A favorite snack is a great motivator...use tiny pieces.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Em
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reggie
    Likes (Received)

A favorite snack is a great motivator...use tiny pieces.
    Oh yeah, he is very food motivated!! Like most bullies lol He is a complete cheese wh*re, and ham is the only reason he'll have a bath!

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads