R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
When I say crate, its not that small. We were advised to use a crate just big enough for him to turn around in, but that felt mean and would have been ridiculously expensive as he grew! So we opted for a playpen style, with an open top so he shouldn't feel too enclosed. And i think he feels like its his safe haven where he can go if he doesn't want us to bother him. He is mainly just in there to sleep. Unfortunatly we can't leave him out when we aren't there. We do have baby gates and doors to confine him to one room, but in both the living room and kitchen there are just too many things he likes to chew on when we aren't looking - from the tv cabinet, coffee table, water bottles (full fizzy ones!), to cupboard handles. Sometimes he likes softer things like the sofa, and playing tug-of-war with the curtains is a favourite pasttime!

I haven't posted any pictures yet as I keep getting an 'invalid file type' error when using my tablet, but I'll make sure I get my laptop out later and post some pics here in this thread.

Thanks for the help everyone :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When I say crate, its not that small. We were advised to use a crate just big enough for him to turn around in, but that felt mean and would have been ridiculously expensive as he grew! So we opted for a playpen style, with an open top so he shouldn't feel too enclosed. And i think he feels like its his safe haven where he can go if he doesn't want us to bother him. He is mainly just in there to sleep. Unfortunatly we can't leave him out when we aren't there. We do have baby gates and doors to confine him to one room, but in both the living room and kitchen there are just too many things he likes to chew on when we aren't looking - from the tv cabinet, coffee table, water bottles (full fizzy ones!), to cupboard handles. Sometimes he likes softer things like the sofa, and playing tug-of-war with the curtains is a favourite pasttime!

I haven't posted any pictures yet as I keep getting an 'invalid file type' error when using my tablet, but I'll make sure I get my laptop out later and post some pics here in this thread.

Thanks for the help everyone :D

The pen area is a great idea... even add the crate to it and he will sleep in there and go to the open area as needed.

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
The pen area is a great idea... even add the crate to it and he will sleep in there and go to the open area as needed.

Thats kind of what he does. The door to the pen is open all day, so he can come and go as he pleases. The only time its closed is over night and if we are out. At first he was out all the time unless we put him in there, now he jumps in & out when he wants a different chew and he even took himself off to bed the other night!

We have gone back to basics with his training the last couple of days based on all your advice. Working on forming a solid sit, and we've started "touch it", which he has picked up brilliantly after 1 or 2 tries.
We were following the general puppy advice to keep training sessions to 10 mins, once or twice a day but so far Reggie seems happier with more - he has such an active little brain and is very clever, so more intensive training might be just what he needed.
I'm also looking into agility classes because apparently it works wonders for hyper pups but the classes I've contacted so far won't take pups under 6 months. I'll keep looking for starter/easy puppy courses with fingers crossed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thats kind of what he does. The door to the pen is open all day, so he can come and go as he pleases. The only time its closed is over night and if we are out. At first he was out all the time unless we put him in there, now he jumps in & out when he wants a different chew and he even took himself off to bed the other night!

We have gone back to basics with his training the last couple of days based on all your advice. Working on forming a solid sit, and we've started "touch it", which he has picked up brilliantly after 1 or 2 tries.
We were following the general puppy advice to keep training sessions to 10 mins, once or twice a day but so far Reggie seems happier with more - he has such an active little brain and is very clever, so more intensive training might be just what he needed.
I'm also looking into agility classes because apparently it works wonders for hyper pups but the classes I've contacted so far won't take pups under 6 months. I'll keep looking for starter/easy puppy courses with fingers crossed!

FREAKIN AWESOME.... stay diligent and he will be a wonderful little guy! Our Banks was a 9 yr training session.. it was a tough first 2 yrs, but after that she was beyond wonderful and I really miss her challenge and beechy personality :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sounds great with a playpen! And puppies will be curious and want to sniff out things around the home. We puppy-proofed our home - no delicate things within reach, cables hidden behind furniture, no curtains hanging down to the floor and all rugs rolled up until Castor was pottytrained and had lost interest in things he wasn't supposed to touch. Having a pup is like having a baby who is starting to move around and walk - you need to be one step ahead all the time!

Looking forward to pictures!

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
FREAKIN AWESOME.... stay diligent and he will be a wonderful little guy! Our Banks was a 9 yr training session.. it was a tough first 2 yrs, but after that she was beyond wonderful and I really miss her challenge and beechy personality :)

Yeah, he is a challenge but we wouldn't change him for anything. Well, maybe I'd make his teeth a little less sharp :D

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Looking forward to pictures!

I'll get them up later I promise!!
Just noticed your Castor is on Instagram, I've just followed him from our shop account (I don't have a personal one). There's a picture of Reggie at 8 weeks old on our page. Thinking of making Reggie one :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'll get them up later I promise!!
Just noticed your Castor is on Instagram, I've just followed him from our shop account (I don't have a personal one). There's a picture of Reggie at 8 weeks old on our page. Thinking of making Reggie one :)

Found it - he's such a beauty! Thanks for following Castor!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.