Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper Helicoptermom's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    Sugar just finished puppy class and of course was a model pupil. At home, she can not restrain herself when family and friends enter the house. She doesn't just go for ankles and shoes but leaps up to the waist and locks down on shirttails, sweaters, coats. Needless to say these articles have been ripped. She is really long and has a tremendous vertical leap, so she will leap for elbows. I have been using a spray bottle and squirting her if she didn't respond to a loud no, stop it and that seems to help a little but she is smart enough to see if a spray bottle isn't around, then it is a free for all. Plus, I don't want to have to carry a bottle around all the time....and sometimes she starts attacking the bottle. She never acts like this in public. Am I going to have to crate her, leash her, etc,to break her of this aggressive habit? Once she gets going, she just can't stop herself.

  2. #2
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Ftse 100's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Location
    Qld Australia
    Posts
    6,744
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1908

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    FTSE used to do this and it was so irritating ripped so many of my clothes luckily no one else's I started putting him in his pen if someone came he did stop but I really can't remember what age he was.

  3. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,069
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3792

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    First. The behaviour Munson is displaying is totally unacceptable. After this and every time it happens, put Munson in the crate for twenty minutes. The worst thing in the world for a canine is being excluded from the pack. I agree with @Ftse100 above.

  4. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  5. #4
    Pooper scooper Helicoptermom's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    We are starting to crate her for 20 minutes when she acts like this, but we are afraid to let her greet people who enter the house. Today, she leaped and grabbed the upper sleeve of a friend's shirt and left a mark on her arm. Suggestions?..

  6. #5
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,894
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6116

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    Quote Originally Posted by Helicoptermom View Post
    We are starting to crate her for 20 minutes when she acts like this, but we are afraid to let her greet people who enter the house. Today, she leaped and grabbed the upper sleeve of a friend's shirt and left a mark on her arm. Suggestions?..
    When you crate her, when you open the door, does she goes straight to the guess n jump? If so, when you open the crate door put a leash on her. As soon as she jumps, yank her back down and straight back in the crate. Make sure you raise your voice with a firm NO JUMP. Do not repeat. Just one firm no jump and back in the crate. Just make sure you dont turn the crate as the punish.

  7. #6
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    3,110
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    2582

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    Theres a spray bottle thing called "PET CORRECTOR" that someone had suggested here before for I believe a similar behavior that yu speak of. . My Hank doesn't do what yours is doing, but he was jumping up and knocking over my grandson (8yr old) and it was the same in one sense that he just couldn't control his excitement. I got that and you don't spray AT the dog, and in fact I held it behind me and its just a 'shhhh' sound that they really don't like. And what I like is, I used it twice, and that was it!!! now I will say it's been 3 months since that happened, and I'm seeing him in that same 'mode' so will bring it out again if necessary. Look it up.. It just may be what your looking for and it's not to be over used...but sure worked quick for him. It's not a shocker or anything, just a noise that's unpleasant to them...

  8. Likes Manydogs, sisters3, Mom of Tucker liked this post
  9. #7
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,894
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6116

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    Theres a spray bottle thing called "PET CORRECTOR" that someone had suggested here before for I believe a similar behavior that yu speak of. . My Hank doesn't do what yours is doing, but he was jumping up and knocking over my grandson (8yr old) and it was the same in one sense that he just couldn't control his excitement. I got that and you don't spray AT the dog, and in fact I held it behind me and its just a 'shhhh' sound that they really don't like. And what I like is, I used it twice, and that was it!!! now I will say it's been 3 months since that happened, and I'm seeing him in that same 'mode' so will bring it out again if necessary. Look it up.. It just may be what your looking for and it's not to be over used...but sure worked quick for him. It's not a shocker or anything, just a noise that's unpleasant to them...
    Wasn't there a post that the dog chewed that bottle? I thought I saw a pic of it.

  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  11. #8
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    3,110
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    2582

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    I do remember something about that but don't 'think' it was this one. This is aluminum and I ordered on amazon but they have it in many pet shops as well. I'm never real big on 'quick fix' type things, but really was impressed and no harm was done

  12. #9
    Pooper scooper Helicoptermom's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    When you crate her, when you open the door, does she goes straight to the guess n jump? If so, when you open the crate door put a leash on her. As soon as she jumps, yank her back down and straight back in the crate. Make sure you raise your voice with a firm NO JUMP. Do not repeat. Just one firm no jump and back in the crate. Just make sure you dont turn the crate as the punish.
    Ok, yes she does go straight for newcomer and starts jumping and biting. We are definitely going to have to keep her on a leash when people come into the house. And do as you advise about putting her in the crate. It also doesn't help that Munson, our other bulldog, goes racing to the door but he doesn't jump or bite. Sugar seems to interact initially with human guests the same way she interacts with Munson on a daily basis; in fact, if she and Munson are wrestling near us, she will start the jumping and biting on us. It is really frustrating, but we are going to have to be consistent. Thanks so much for your input.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #10
    Pooper scooper Helicoptermom's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    I am definitely going to look it up and order it. Thanks

  15. #11
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,894
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6116

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    Quote Originally Posted by Helicoptermom View Post
    Ok, yes she does go straight for newcomer and starts jumping and biting. We are definitely going to have to keep her on a leash when people come into the house. And do as you advise about putting her in the crate. It also doesn't help that Munson, our other bulldog, goes racing to the door but he doesn't jump or bite. Sugar seems to interact initially with human guests the same way she interacts with Munson on a daily basis; in fact, if she and Munson are wrestling near us, she will start the jumping and biting on us. It is really frustrating, but we are going to have to be consistent. Thanks so much for your input.
    If she's a "model pupil" outside the house but at home it's free for all, was it be possible the household let sugar do what she wanted when she came home for a while? Like all puppies, no matter what breed, they are all cute and funny. Like most owners the puppy gets away with everything cause it's cute and it's funny. Exactly like children. Give them that inch they'll take the foot. Im not saying that's what happened in your household either. But most of the time, that's what happens if they are models outside but not home.

  16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  17. #12
    Pooper scooper Helicoptermom's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Re: 7 month old still biting......HARD!

    Looking back, I think we used the same training methods on her that had worked on Munson, but because they have different temperaments, they haven't worked. Munson, like most, got better with age. Sugar has gotten worse because she needed more consistent training. Little things that we overlooked with Munson like snatching a towel away from us, we did with her. Munson stopped doing it, but Sugar seems to think of long jackets, loose belts, scarves as towels dangling over her head so she goes after them for keeps. Now, we are putting the brakes on that towel behavior. She is just more aggressive than Munson so different tactics need to be employed. Thanks for the input.

  18. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •