7 month old still biting......HARD!

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Sugar just finished puppy class and of course was a model pupil. At home, she can not restrain herself when family and friends enter the house. She doesn't just go for ankles and shoes but leaps up to the waist and locks down on shirttails, sweaters, coats. Needless to say these articles have been ripped. She is really long and has a tremendous vertical leap, so she will leap for elbows. I have been using a spray bottle and squirting her if she didn't respond to a loud no, stop it and that seems to help a little but she is smart enough to see if a spray bottle isn't around, then it is a free for all. Plus, I don't want to have to carry a bottle around all the time....and sometimes she starts attacking the bottle. She never acts like this in public. Am I going to have to crate her, leash her, etc,to break her of this aggressive habit? Once she gets going, she just can't stop herself.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE used to do this and it was so irritating ripped so many of my clothes luckily no one else's I started putting him in his pen if someone came he did stop but I really can't remember what age he was.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
First. The behaviour Munson is displaying is totally unacceptable. After this and every time it happens, put Munson in the crate for twenty minutes. The worst thing in the world for a canine is being excluded from the pack. I agree with @Ftse100 above.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
We are starting to crate her for 20 minutes when she acts like this, but we are afraid to let her greet people who enter the house. Today, she leaped and grabbed the upper sleeve of a friend's shirt and left a mark on her arm. Suggestions?..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We are starting to crate her for 20 minutes when she acts like this, but we are afraid to let her greet people who enter the house. Today, she leaped and grabbed the upper sleeve of a friend's shirt and left a mark on her arm. Suggestions?..

When you crate her, when you open the door, does she goes straight to the guess n jump? If so, when you open the crate door put a leash on her. As soon as she jumps, yank her back down and straight back in the crate. Make sure you raise your voice with a firm NO JUMP. Do not repeat. Just one firm no jump and back in the crate. Just make sure you dont turn the crate as the punish.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Theres a spray bottle thing called "PET CORRECTOR" that someone had suggested here before for I believe a similar behavior that yu speak of. . My Hank doesn't do what yours is doing, but he was jumping up and knocking over my grandson (8yr old) and it was the same in one sense that he just couldn't control his excitement. I got that and you don't spray AT the dog, and in fact I held it behind me and its just a 'shhhh' sound that they really don't like. And what I like is, I used it twice, and that was it!!! now I will say it's been 3 months since that happened, and I'm seeing him in that same 'mode' so will bring it out again if necessary. Look it up.. It just may be what your looking for and it's not to be over used...but sure worked quick for him. It's not a shocker or anything, just a noise that's unpleasant to them...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Theres a spray bottle thing called "PET CORRECTOR" that someone had suggested here before for I believe a similar behavior that yu speak of. . My Hank doesn't do what yours is doing, but he was jumping up and knocking over my grandson (8yr old) and it was the same in one sense that he just couldn't control his excitement. I got that and you don't spray AT the dog, and in fact I held it behind me and its just a 'shhhh' sound that they really don't like. And what I like is, I used it twice, and that was it!!! now I will say it's been 3 months since that happened, and I'm seeing him in that same 'mode' so will bring it out again if necessary. Look it up.. It just may be what your looking for and it's not to be over used...but sure worked quick for him. It's not a shocker or anything, just a noise that's unpleasant to them...

Wasn't there a post that the dog chewed that bottle? I thought I saw a pic of it.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I do remember something about that but don't 'think' it was this one. This is aluminum and I ordered on amazon but they have it in many pet shops as well. I'm never real big on 'quick fix' type things, but really was impressed and no harm was done ;)

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
When you crate her, when you open the door, does she goes straight to the guess n jump? If so, when you open the crate door put a leash on her. As soon as she jumps, yank her back down and straight back in the crate. Make sure you raise your voice with a firm NO JUMP. Do not repeat. Just one firm no jump and back in the crate. Just make sure you dont turn the crate as the punish.

Ok, yes she does go straight for newcomer and starts jumping and biting. We are definitely going to have to keep her on a leash when people come into the house. And do as you advise about putting her in the crate. It also doesn't help that Munson, our other bulldog, goes racing to the door but he doesn't jump or bite. Sugar seems to interact initially with human guests the same way she interacts with Munson on a daily basis; in fact, if she and Munson are wrestling near us, she will start the jumping and biting on us. It is really frustrating, but we are going to have to be consistent. Thanks so much for your input.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
I am definitely going to look it up and order it. Thanks

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, yes she does go straight for newcomer and starts jumping and biting. We are definitely going to have to keep her on a leash when people come into the house. And do as you advise about putting her in the crate. It also doesn't help that Munson, our other bulldog, goes racing to the door but he doesn't jump or bite. Sugar seems to interact initially with human guests the same way she interacts with Munson on a daily basis; in fact, if she and Munson are wrestling near us, she will start the jumping and biting on us. It is really frustrating, but we are going to have to be consistent. Thanks so much for your input.

If she's a "model pupil" outside the house but at home it's free for all, was it be possible the household let sugar do what she wanted when she came home for a while? Like all puppies, no matter what breed, they are all cute and funny. Like most owners the puppy gets away with everything cause it's cute and it's funny. Exactly like children. Give them that inch they'll take the foot. Im not saying that's what happened in your household either. But most of the time, that's what happens if they are models outside but not home.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Looking back, I think we used the same training methods on her that had worked on Munson, but because they have different temperaments, they haven't worked. Munson, like most, got better with age. Sugar has gotten worse because she needed more consistent training. Little things that we overlooked with Munson like snatching a towel away from us, we did with her. Munson stopped doing it, but Sugar seems to think of long jackets, loose belts, scarves as towels dangling over her head so she goes after them for keeps. Now, we are putting the brakes on that towel behavior. She is just more aggressive than Munson so different tactics need to be employed. Thanks for the input.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What will work best is a leash ... if it is expected company, leash her and tether her to something (railing or door) where she can not get to the person and the person is to ignore her till she calms down. You also need to continue the spray bottle, but do NOT raise your voice or scream... just a firm NO every time she jumps. Do not make a big fuss over it, that will add to her excitement. If the company is unexpected, make the wait till you get her on leash and tell them to not acknowledge her. As soon as she is calm, allow them to pet of say hi, but leave her on lead. Then as you see her behavior improve, leash her, but do not tether, this way you can grab the leash and settle her dwon.

it will take time, but we did this with our girl, Banks and it worked well

Also, asll humans have to be on the same page with the training... inconsistency will have the pup know where the weakness is. Try using 'nothing in life is free' with her.. it really works wonders.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Thanks so much for all the detailed instructions. We are certainly going to do this.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.