ctass

Dec 29, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hello all! This is my first time posting. I recently got a beautiful bulldog pup named Bailey! She is just over 3 months old and my first bulldog. I am not super familiar with the breed and it has been a few years since I have owned a puppy so I was hoping for some feedback from veteran bulldog owners. Bailey is a total sweetheart but turns into kind of a nut job when there is food around. If I am in the kitchen making food she goes crazy, she starts jumping on me and barking at me. Most of the time I feed her before I make food so she isn't hungry. I try not to acknowledge her while she is acting this way because I don't want her to think it's acceptable behavior. I've never had another dog go that crazy near food so I wasn't sure if it is an eb puppy trait. I am also trying to crate train her over night which has proven to be a struggle. I make sure I take her out before bedtime and she usually needs to go out once more during the night but when it's time to go back in the cage she cries and barks. I don't want to give in but on the other hand I don't want everyone in my house to wake up. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Bullies love food Try putting Bailey in another room I cannot comment on the crate because I have a hard time listening to crating the bullies stories..they are too fragile and friendly, lovable to crate just a personal belief there are a lot of people that use crates and have success
. I just started brosco in a very small space in the house for over night and he trained very well gradually give him bigger space as he got older now he rules the intire first floor,.... the food issue is tough because they love to eat!! Do you have the drool as well? Good luck

OP
C

ctass

Dec 29, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I don't want to crate her permanent, I just want her to be comfortable in a crate. How old was brosco when he started to "chill" out more? Bailey is a bundle of energy haha, she plays hard for about an hour and a half and the crashes hard! So far there's no drool, I wasn't sure if that will change though?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome to EBN!!! Try putting one one your old shirt or something that you dont need anymore so she has your scent in the crap with her. Some bullies are full of energy like yours, mine and others...and some wont walk 2 feet. Be happy you have an energized puppy. When it comes to food, time to teach her right from wrong. When you cook bring her outside the kitchen and start with "stay" and praise her. Even if she's on the other side of the kitchen and sees you it's ok. It takes time and energy but worth it. I dot believe in any pet in a kitchen when you're cooking. I almost burned myself with a pot of boiled water n Nyala when I got her. She's my first small dog. She was right behind me and I didn't see her as she's brindle and my kitchen floor is dark too. I just had time to throw the pot in the sink and raised my voice "get out". All happened fast and I must of scared her as to this day when I feed her, she takes off on her bed till I call her. Soooooo if you're cooking, try bringing her out if the kitchen and praise her. Dont forget, she's only 3 months old but enough to understand what "no" means.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Broscso was never crated, we gave him a little space in the utility room, took him out every 2 hours, then very 4 hours (or had a sitter come in when we worked, found a great retired person that just wanted to help out) as he got older and bigger his space was utility room and kitchen and so on, turned the guest room into his room, so he is in entire area . His energy spert lasted longer when he was a puppy, now it's just for a few minutes, even his walks around the lot are shorter, he will lay down and wait for me to do the 3/4 mile. The drool comes anytime we are in kitchen cooking, he will just sit there and salvate while staring at us, bacon and eggs are the worst, when he was a puppy we just ignored his yapping for a treat when cooking or put him in another room, now that he is older he just sits around and drools if someone is cooking in kitchen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

As Helene mentioned... place an old t-shirt in the crate with Bailey it gives her your scent and she will find comfort and go back to sleep. Also, try covering the crate to block and light or other distractions... praise her and give a treat when she goes in the crate, but do as you are and ignore the bark/whining... any attention is what she is looking for so try your best to ignore.

Kitchen... a others have stated, many people prefer pets not be in the room when cooking, my sister has trained her GSD's to do so - they go right to the living room once she commands them too and they do not return till she calls them in. However, I am the opposite... I have a rug in the kitchen and the pups know they can lay there while I am cooking.. if they move off, I just point and they go back over. This eay they are with me, but not in the area of where I am cooking

OP
C

ctass

Dec 29, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
wow that sounds fantastic! I would love to get to the point where she just stays in one spot while I am making food. She just starts barking and jumping, I wasn't sure if this was something she will grow out of or something that needs to be trained out of her.

OP
C

ctass

Dec 29, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Did he ever drool as a pup? So far I haven't seen her drool at all, she just goes crazy when food is near. My moms dog is the silent beggar who just stares at you when you're eating, how different the two are lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
wow that sounds fantastic! I would love to get to the point where she just stays in one spot while I am making food. She just starts barking and jumping, I wasn't sure if this was something she will grow out of or something that needs to be trained out of her.

Possible she out grows it, but doubtful. I had to train my guys to do all this.... I used 'nothing in life is free' and it works very easily. High value treat for doing as commanded

OP
C

ctass

Dec 29, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I have us both signed up for 6 weeks of training classes starting next week, I'm hoping that because she is so young it won't be as difficult to train her since there haven't been many bad habits established.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty only drools when I am preparing his food. I didn't get him as a puppy so don't know what he was like then. There is nothing wrong with crating but it is by far the best way to start young. If you have an older dog and try, they may not like it at all.

idaelina

Dec 22, 2016
Tampa Bay, FL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia Clementine
I've read a popular way to crate train pups is to feed them in their crates so they learn it's a safe place. I also have a 3 mos old. When we brought her home, Georgia cried on and off most of the night, but she has been getting better. She only cries for a few minutes, now. We also feed her in our bedroom next to the crate and close the door. I've started feeding her while I make dinner, as a distraction. Hope that helps. I'm new too!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
wow that sounds fantastic! I would love to get to the point where she just stays in one spot while I am making food. She just starts barking and jumping wasn't sure if this was something she will grow out of or something that needs to be trained out of her.

Pups arelike if you're raising children. You give them an inch they take a foot. Like leaving a 2yr old running in a kitchen while you're cooking or boiling stuff. So it's up to YOU to start training on the spot. Just remember one thing.....You're the boss!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online