Buying Littermates

Caponesmommy

Jul 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
After a long grieving period for our first English Bulldog, Capone, whom I have to say was an amazing and wonderful addition to our lives, my husband and I are picking up our new baby this Sunday. We have discussed getting two pups this time--realizing their are challenges involved. We both really like the idea of two, but we have read about and are concerned about littermate syndrome. Does anyone here have any experience raising two English Bulldogs from the same litter, and if so, could we please get your input regarding the puppies bonding too much with each other and not at all with the owners? If we do get two it will be one boy and one girl, both will be fixed asap. Thanks! :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Why WELCOME to EBN..... " littermate syndrome " ive seen numerous siblings raised together in other breeds. No difference with bullies. The only difference is YOU need to have them socialize more with other dogs and humans so they know its not just them 2 on the planet as we say. They will rely on one another and can disconnect with you. Train them separately, or crate them separately. Basically do things separately so they dont get that "conjoint" issue. It will be more challenging for sure as it's 2. But yes same litter is a different challenge as you have those extra steps to do. Only one thing if you don't want to go through all of this, is buy 2 from different litters. If you work and not home often that will be the "conjoint" issue the 2 can thrive on. A lot to think about.

Attached is a great link I had that might help you out and see things clearer.

Littermate Syndrome: Are 2 Puppies Better Than 1? No.

I added another one

Don?t Take Two Littermates | The Bark

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
I just got littermates and they are fine they bond great with me and the wife they could careless if the other is busy doing something else

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
They actually like there own space away from each other. But we also take them to the store separately sometimes to the bathroom by themselves and take naps in different areas I'm no expert but have raised several dogs in my lifetime as [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] said it takes training and remember you are the boss not them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most of my adult life I have had several dogs at a time. Several times,I got two from the same litter. When they were small, they slept in one crate together at night,when I left the home,they were in a "play pen" together. When they out grew the crate, then I put them in seperate crates facing each other. Then when they were trustworthy enough,they didn't need a crate. Actually I loved getting littermates because they entertained each other,and I saw no difference in behavior,as the other dogs once they grew up. I have had quite a few dogs('til death do us part) but I have never even heard of "littermate syndrome. I guess it would be true if they weren't socialized. No matter what the subject, I guess there are always negatives. @Caponesmommy

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with advice and comments above, and have had the same experience as Lynn. I have never heard of litter syndrome either, and my experience has been a positive one. We brought Bulldozer and Blossom home together, and potty trained them together on the same schedule, we had them in a double crate at first, but then switched them to separate crates right away, because Blossom wouldn't leave Dozer alone, he just wanted to sleep, and she wanted to play all the time, and would jump on him, lay and sleep on him, and she would chew on his ears playfully all the time. Dozer couldn't sleep, so we separated them and it was fine. They were so funny because they would sleep in the exact same position all the time and they still do this. They also like to lick each other through the crate. They do prefer to play with just each other when we are around other dogs, but we did socialize them with other dogs, people and kids from day one, so they do love and get along with all, and they are both bonded to us. They have different personalities, Blossom has much more energy and stamina than Dozer, but I think this has a lot to do with his many allergies. Blossom loves to walk all the time, and is much more active than her brother, Dozer prefers to just sleep. Lol, but they both love to cuddle or snuggle, Dozer just likes to do it all the time, and Blossom will cuddle when she feels like it, and when she's ready to sleep. Having two dogs is definitely a little more work, but not that hard, we keep them on the same schedule, and they are great company for each other, and having two bullies is definitely more fun. I don't know if it makes difference to have the opposite sex, I have heard that two males can be aggressive to each other, and two females can be jealous of each other, but I have no experience with this. I know of any people who have two males or two females and they are fine. Congratulations, and enjoy your babies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 437
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 663
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 401

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
"because Blossom wouldn't leave Dozer alone, he just wanted to sleep, and she wanted to play all the time, and would jump on him, lay and sleep on him, and she would chew on his ears playfully all the time. Dozer couldn't sleep.."
This sounds like me and Hubby -
poor guy, he needs his own crate
:rofl:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Most of my adult life I have had several dogs at a time. Several times,I got two from the same litter. When they were small, they slept in one crate together at night,when I left the home,they were in a "play pen" together. When they out grew the crate, then I put them in seperate crates facing each other. Then when they were trustworthy enough,they didn't need a crate. Actually I loved getting littermates because they entertained each other,and I saw no difference in behavior,as the other dogs once they grew up. I have had quite a few dogs('til death do us part) but I have never even heard of "littermate syndrome. I guess it would be true if they weren't socialized. No matter what the subject, I guess there are always negatives. @Caponesmommy

It's not really being negative, its just a bit different which you have keep an out more since they are from the same litter. That is all. Like [MENTION=16572]NIZZLE[/MENTION] was saying you might have to put them out separately, to the store separately or vet. It's more in the early stages so they know what socialing is separately. Of course you can get a pair without issues what so ever like you can get a pair that takes over your life. It's very hard to explain littermate syndrome. It's just one of those things you need to see it or more live it.

OP
C

Caponesmommy

Jul 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
Why WELCOME to EBN..... " littermate syndrome " ive seen numerous siblings raised together in other breeds. No difference with bullies. The only difference is YOU need to have them socialize more with other dogs and humans so they know its not just them 2 on the planet as we say. They will rely on one another and can disconnect with you. Train them separately, or crate them separately. Basically do things separately so they dont get that "conjoint" issue. It will be more challenging for sure as it's 2. But yes same litter is a different challenge as you have those extra steps to do. Only one thing if you don't want to go through all of this, is buy 2 from different litters. If you work and not home often that will be the "conjoint" issue the 2 can thrive on. A lot to think about.

Attached is a great link I had that might help you out and see things clearer.

Littermate Syndrome: Are 2 Puppies Better Than 1? No.

I added another one

Don?t Take Two Littermates | The Bark

Thank you everybody! I REALLY appreciate all the input....we have decided to only get one puppy this Sunday from a new breeder, and then another in May from Capone's breeder---hopefully they will get along!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everybody! I REALLY appreciate all the input....we have decided to only get one puppy this Sunday from a new breeder, and then another in May from Capone's breeder---hopefully they will get along!

Im sure they will! Post some photos! We like seeing the new members furball. They are all so cute....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Congratulations!!! Don't forget pictures!!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
"because Blossom wouldn't leave Dozer alone, he just wanted to sleep, and she wanted to play all the time, and would jump on him, lay and sleep on him, and she would chew on his ears playfully all the time. Dozer couldn't sleep.."
This sounds like me and Hubby -
poor guy, he needs his own crate
:rofl:

haha cute :)

OP
C

Caponesmommy

Jul 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
Oliver.jpgOliver2.jpg

Well, thanks to all of you for your advice on buying littermates--it was tough, but we managed to only bring one back with us on the plane :D This is Oliver on his first night home, he is 9 weeks old in the pic and very quickly getting bigger! We are going to get him a brother from another litter but not for a few months. We definitely have our hands full for now anyway :w00t:

OP
C

Caponesmommy

Jul 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
I love the post about Nitschke and Banks, and it could not be more true!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 103027View attachment 103028

Well, thanks to all of you for your advice on buying littermates--it was tough, but we managed to only bring one back with us on the plane :D This is Oliver on his first night home, he is 9 weeks old in the pic and very quickly getting bigger! We are going to get him a brother from another litter but not for a few months. We definitely have our hands full for now anyway :w00t:

BEAUTIFUL baby.. congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.