Female puppy snaps at one year old male

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
I need everyone's advice about stopping Sugar's aggression toward Munson. Sugar is 6 months old and wakes up feeling cuddley and friendly, then it goes downhill. Munson is a one year old who is laid back and sweet. If Munson starts playing with a toy, Sugar begins by going for the toy, then snapping and biting his jowls. Then a lot of air biting occurs and more nipping at legs and jowls. No blood has been spilt but as the day goes on, Sugar greets Munson by snapping at him or locking onto his jowl. No issues while feeding them side by side from their bowls. They nap wrapped up in each other on the couch and walk nicely together. I want to correct Sugar's behavior toward Munson because I am afraid it will get worse. Any and all suggestions an/or questions appreciated.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Sounds like puppy play to Me , not aggression they to us play rough . Take it from Me with those 6 month old shark teeth would if wanted too pierce very easy into a jowl .
If it was aggression I think you would see it at all times that you mention. Puppies want to play eat and sleep almost in that order , you mention Munson is a laid back kinda Bully , it could be that Sugar is more dominate then Munson even at 6 months she will see that and she is trying to dominate him now or at least start the process, if so I do not think you can correct that it is the personality of the dog, it is like marrying a guy and trying to change who he is .
May I suggest you buy a rope toy like this 029.JPG and let them play with it even teach them to play with it , it gives them fun but at a distance , you can get them all lengths and sizes and diameter . This is a big one diameter size and length but our guys never stop playing with it Odin at 110 lb drags Rosie( now 45 lbs) all over the place and they have a ball with it , Rosie (Bulldog) in the pic is maybe 5 months old at the time of the pic , Odin ( Cane Corso ) is app 1 1/2 years . That rope save Odins ears lottsa chewing on .017.jpg018.jpg010.jpg020.JPG This is a 9 week old Rosie initiating play with our Siberian Husky Willow 7 years old , Willow does not have jowls but a great big bushy tail and Rosie loves it . I think I can count one one hand and 4 Bulldogs later when during play they have drawn blood on any part of the body and if it has happened it is those shark teeth puppies have that caused it .
I might be wrong you might have a dominate puppy on your hands not bad to Me they will figure it out truly , puppies have to learn there place in a group of dogs even two dog families , as did Rosie
Hope it helps

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs play rough. As long as they are playing,it is fine. If I see anger beginning,I tell them "play nice, don't be mean!" I can tell when it' s play,and when someone starts to get angry!If the pup hurts Munson, surely he will discipline her!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl, Banks was a tormentor of our sweet laid back Nitschke. There is a big difference between play (what you are describing) and aggression and you will know the difference when aggression happens.

What for her to tighten up (shoulder go down and ears are back), low growls with a very direct deep stare... then it will be a sudden jump and attack. All you describe above is play to me, so when you see it getting out of hand for your liking, give a firm 'NO' or 'EASY' -- only use those terms when you want something to stop so she knows the command.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Same here for Nyala. When my son comes over with his 2 pitbulls, Nyala goes for the jowls, grunts (not growl) non stop. She still does it. Just raise the voice with a firm "no" like mentioned.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online