Help Needed! General Feed / Potty Routine - - (??)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Previously (years gone back) there was a thread or guidance on a routine -- :help:

Something like 'Take out 1st thing in the morning' -- Feed -- Wait 15 minutes -Take back out until they do their business or if they want to play vice their business, back inside and wait ???? then back out... again.

For the life of me I can't remember the formula -- but I need that formula again !

Missi the last few days -- we put her out as soon as she gets up (1&2 successfully) -- then feed her -- after 10-15 minutes we put her back out, and she peed. We put her in her play area, the wife heads for the shower, and I get into my wheelchair -- 5? maybe 10? minutes go past -- and there is Pee and Pooh in her play area. :cry:

*MY Mistake, trying to pick up the pooh, and she is dancing around and gets into the MAIN Pile!*:mirror:

Once we found that routine, it worked wonders for Hershey - - - anyone?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Previously (years gone back) there was a thread or guidance on a routine -- :help:

Something like 'Take out 1st thing in the morning' -- Feed -- Wait 15 minutes -Take back out until they do their business or if they want to play vice their business, back inside and wait ???? then back out... again.

For the life of me I can't remember the formula -- but I need that formula again !

Missi the last few days -- we put her out as soon as she gets up (1&2 successfully) -- then feed her -- after 10-15 minutes we put her back out, and she peed. We put her in her play area, the wife heads for the shower, and I get into my wheelchair -- 5? maybe 10? minutes go past -- and there is Pee and Pooh in her play area. :cry:

*MY Mistake, trying to pick up the pooh, and she is dancing around and gets into the MAIN Pile!*:mirror:

Once we found that routine, it worked wonders for Hershey - - - anyone?

Hi Rick, I did post he routine I used on here once, but can't find it now. This is the routine I used when I was training my two guys. I also use the rule of puppies being able to hold for 1 hour for every month of age.

6:00 or 6:30 am. Out for Potty
6:30. Feed Breakfast 1 cup of Kibble, then wait 10 or 15 mins and out for potty again.

I took them out every 1 or 2 hours for the first month, then increased it by an hour for each month of age until they were 5 months old, at which time they were fully trained and could hold for 6 to 8 hours. I also took them out before and after they played, because they can have accidents when they get excited. I increased their potty breaks by 1 hour for each month of age until they were 5 months old.

I fed them again at noon, and again at 6:00 pm. When they were 6 months old, I reduced their feelings to twice a day.

I set set my alarm clock on my cell phone for 2:00 am for a potty break, since it's too long for a puppy to hold their bladder all night, their last potty break was at 11:00 pm, and they went out at 2:00 am, and back out at 6:30 am.
Once they were fully trained at 5 months, I stopped taking them out at 2:00 am.

The he routine my guys are on now is:

6:00 am Out for a walk or potty break

6:30 am Breakfast

10:00 am Out for potty break

3:00 pm Out for potty break

6:00 pm Dinner

7:00 pm Out for a potty break

11:00 pm Out for last walk

my guys can hold 8 or more hours, but I'm home during the day so I take them out every 4 to 5 hours because I can, and it's better for their bladder, but when I do have to go out for an appointment or for the day, they can hold longer.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Rick, this was my original post on the schedule I used. I looked for it and found it.

Hi, the rule of thumb for training a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, so it takes about 5 to 6 months fully train a puppy. By the age of 5 months, they should be able to hold for about 5 or 6 hours.
The best way to train a puppy is to use a strict schedule until they are fully trained.

This is is the schedule I used when I was training my two guys:

[replacer_img] Re: Potty training help?

Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedulethat worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast of 1 cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch of 1 cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner of 1 cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What I did with our guys was - 20-30 mins after eating or playing... basically went out at the 20 minute mark and stayed till they did their business, which might take 10 mins.

Worked awesome for nitschke, Banks and Lambeau..... Cheli, eh, not so much :stinkeye:

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Christine ! -- what is driving us bonkers (Today) she was out at 6am -- Ate -- Out at 630. Dottie heads to shower, and I roll out of the bedroom about 645-700 and a PILE of POO was waiting for me :( then I goofed, instead of getting her out of her play area, I went to clean up one pile, and she decided to Disco in the bigger pile :( what a mess LOL

I think we need to adjust her feeding until after I roll out of the bedroom....

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Christine ! -- what is driving us bonkers (Today) she was out at 6am -- Ate -- Out at 630. Dottie heads to shower, and I roll out of the bedroom about 645-700 and a PILE of POO was waiting for me :( then I goofed, instead of getting her out of her play area, I went to clean up one pile, and she decided to Disco in the bigger pile :( what a mess LOL

I think we need to adjust her feeding until after I roll out of the bedroom....

Yeah, give yourself about a month to get a good routine in place -- lots of change for all of you. it will come, don't worry. Try, if you can, to keep her outside till she goes and then do the praise song or wheelchair dance, whichever works for ya ;)

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lol Wheelchair Dance will turn into a crushed Puppy... she decides she likes to Slalom -- between my big wheel, and my front casters.... can't wait until she puts about 10 more pounds on... she wont be able to do that then :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lol Wheelchair Dance will turn into a crushed Puppy... she decides she likes to Slalom -- between my big wheel, and my front casters.... can't wait until she puts about 10 more pounds on... she wont be able to do that then :)

LOL.... that calls for video!! Before anf after the ability to fit .... :laugh:

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL.... that calls for video!! Before anf after the ability to fit .... :laugh:

Ya really trying to make it difficult.. I need both hands on the wheels :p a 3rd to get her out from under me, and now a 4th to video it for you :no: LOL

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ya really trying to make it difficult.. I need both hands on the wheels :p a 3rd to get her out from under me, and now a 4th to video it for you :no: LOL

:ponder: :hmm: maybe you need a GoPro for Christmas.... Oh Dottie!?

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
humm I do have one... maybe get a wheelchair mount? or a head mount.. but all you would see is a shaking picture of me looking down, left, right, between etc consistently trying to see where that little devil is !

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
humm I do have one... maybe get a wheelchair mount? or a head mount.. but all you would see is a shaking picture of me looking down, left, right, between etc consistently trying to see where that little devil is !

:rofl: she keeps you on the tips of your wheels, huh! I say mount it on the arm of your chair and just point it in her direction

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lol who has Arms on their wheelchairs? only folk being pushed around. They get in the way of self propelling :) :) :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lol who has Arms on their wheelchairs? only folk being pushed around. They get in the way of self propelling :) :) :)

:blink: I'm a little off... I no clue there were no arms on your chair.... DUH!

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:giggle:
:blink: I'm a little off... I no clue there were no arms on your chair.... DUH!

:p:excited::ROFL: You can order them with or without arm rests... but us 'Younger' folk! (LOL 51 'younger') either dont order them or remove them. (They slide right into a mount) They get in the way mostly....

See ya learned something today! :drawheart::lubu::wiggle::boogie::dance5::nightfever::dance3::guycelebrate::jumpdance::happy2::dance4::dancing:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.