General Question New English bulldog puppy owner has some questions!!

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hi everyone.
My names Joe and my wife and I recently brought Lucy 3 months old home.
She was purchased from a breeder here in Ontario.
So far we love her! We have been waiting to get one for ages!
Now our fur baby is home.
We just have some questions.
We are currently feeding her royal canin bulldog puppy (i know not the best choice) breeder had her on it.
We are looking to change to fromms. Which is the best way to help her transition?
Also second question
We have her on a harness and she doesnt mind it on and doesnt mind the leash. She walks fine for about 2 mins then completely stops and wont move. She pretty much goes out to potty and then back in.
Any help or tips on what we can do do help her walk a bit more around the block?
Thanks guys
Will be posting photos shortly!!

David Mann

Jun 17, 2015
NSW, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franky
A martingale collar or a choker chain woks much better for me as you can lead the dog rather than pull it, if that makes sense ?
Second, as hard as it is to look at the sad face of your pup, YOU are going for a walk and the dog is coming regardless of if it wants to or not, be more decisive :)

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hey yes i have thought about those collars as well just dont want to be pulling on her neck. And also when we are walking i dont want to be dragging her around either lol

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi Joe, Joe's wife and Lucy…Welcome :welcome:
so glad you found EBN (you'll be glad you did):yes:

3 months old?!! Oh my, can't wait to see pics of her!!!:heart:

Feeding questions are one of the main topics you can find answers to on this forum, are you familiar with the advanced search up at the top right? Type in a key word to help guide you through the threads. Also, there are forum sections entitled " English Bulldog Dog Food and Nutrition"; "Raw Feeding"; Home Cooking and Recipes" and more topics under "General Bulldog Talk".

I suggest starting there to narrow your options. Are you leaning toward feeding RAW or a puppy Kibble?

Food selection can really be quite a process. Grain Free is usually recommended. Look carefully at ingredients. Allergies may be of concern at some point (can develop at any time).

Transitioning from Kibble to another Kibble is best done slowly over the course of at least a week (or two) mixing the two kibbles gradually. Pumpkin is suggested during the transition too, ask your local Pet Feed Store for a can or two or pick up at market. Watch closely each bowel movement for loose/runny stools. (take notes, as funny as that sounds, you'll be glad you did).

Walking/harness wise; Her stopping and not moving may be to weather related conditions…from experience, our Boy detests the rain and cold…he goes out, does his business and is right back in...I wouldn't worry about forcing the walking around the block just yet…lol...the stubborn ways of bullies that we all love so dearly! She's already training YOU :giggle:

I'm not a fan of the "choker" collars, for this breed…(or any breed really, except whippets due to their tiny size and ability to escape a collar and harness - and man can they run fast if they escape!!). I trained Bass w/a leash that clicked (so as to stop and start when I command, this technique worked well for us).

Awesome that she's potty trained!! A walk around the block requires "perfect" weather and a water bottle lol <-no joke.

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hey New England bully
Thanks for that very informative reply.
As for food we were thinking of going with Fromms kibble instead of the royal canin. For the collars i think id prefer to stay with the harness as she is used to it already. The walking part im thinking could it be her young age and new environment? Whats everyones opinion on coconut oil during feeding time OR salmon oil.
Thanks!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone.
My names Joe and my wife and I recently brought Lucy 3 months old home.
She was purchased from a breeder here in Ontario.
So far we love her! We have been waiting to get one for ages!
Now our fur baby is home.
We just have some questions.
We are currently feeding her royal canin bulldog puppy (i know not the best choice) breeder had her on it.
We are looking to change to fromms. Which is the best way to help her transition?
Also second question
We have her on a harness and she doesnt mind it on and doesnt mind the leash. She walks fine for about 2 mins then completely stops and wont move. She pretty much goes out to potty and then back in.
Any help or tips on what we can do do help her walk a bit more around the block?
Thanks guys
Will be posting photos shortly!!

Hello eastern neighbour. One is get her off RC for sure. I prefer Orijien for puppy or Acana. Same company made in Canada. Fromm is good too but better results on the other two. I always gave Orijien puppy to my dogs especially as pups. High in calories, rich in proteins which they need as pups. They take alot of pride in their kibbles. Great company. For the harness, she's still a pup. Normal. Bring little treats with you and walk her, praise her and use your treats to start. Dont over treat her. Put the harness only when you go out so she makes the link a harness is for walks. Some people like having harnesses on their dogs all day long but personally, animals should wear that all day as it can irritate the skin. My 2 cents on harnesses. Congrats on your little bundle of joy. Welcome to the site!!!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hey New England bully
Thanks for that very informative reply.
As for food we were thinking of going with Fromms kibble instead of the royal canin. For the collars i think id prefer to stay with the harness as she is used to it already. The walking part im thinking could it be her young age and new environment? Whats everyones opinion on coconut oil during feeding time OR salmon oil.
Thanks!!
LOVE coconut oil, it's always stocked in my house! We use Kelapo brand. I give a spoonful and also use topically. It's fabulous!!

Here's a link for you on Grizzly Oil and such
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...icines/19132-grizzly-salmon-oil-fish-oil.html

I also just found CODSKINS and they are a HUGE success (dog crack) :happy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

Fromm is a great food... you can begin a slow transition over an 7-10 day period of time.

I can't help much on the walkthing --- only idea is to bring treats and praise her for making it to a certain point or use the treat to get her to walk with you. Small treat, can just be a kibble of food

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
EVERYONE thanks for the awsome information and replies.
newenglandbully i went to that link i replied to it but its a older post. Just wanted to get others opinion on what i posted.
Hey Guys
Dont know if this thread is going on still
Just wondering ill be switching lucy's food in about a week from royal canin bulldog puppy to fromms puppy.
I have been wanting to add coconut oil and grizzly salmon oil in her food once a day.
Can you add both at the same time? OR maybe salmon oil in the morning and coconut oil at dinner?
Also how much do you recommend to start with?
ANd should i wait till she gets used to the fromms puppy food?

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
No advice to offer...just stopping by to say hi to my fellow Torontonian! :hiya: I assume...if Lucy's in the 6!
Can't wait for pics!!!

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
I am not sure if this will be helpful information but I just brought our puppy home a couple of months ago. This is our experience so far.....

He REFUSES to walk around the block, ONE house down, or even across the street on a leash. It started with the stopping in his tracks to now he will just lay down. I have tried treats (just kibble) like someone above suggested. it did work the first time and the second time. After that he was laying down in the street again. Oh and he will eat ANYTHING, so that's how much he does not want to walk. I assumed we just had one of those bully's that was too stubborn or lazy for walks. The "only walk your dog as far as you can Carry him", "won't walk at all heading away from the house but on the way back to the house he's in full sprint like a greyhound" kind of dog. I finally came to the conclusion that I should probably ask for a stroller as my Christmas present [emoji23]

However, after thinking about it, I've quit trying and came to terms. I realized he does walk on a leash and actually does very well. He goes to the school to pick up kids with me, the park up the road, work, pet store, etc and in all of those places he's a very well trained dog on the leash. As long as I drive or carry him to said location, then he will walk once he's out of the street and away from our house. I just didn't even notice because I was so set on the "around the neighborhood" or "up the street" walking. I'm still hoping I can eventually get him to be able to walk to the school or park, but for now I'm not going to worry about it. We have enough things we're still learning that are more important.

So the point of this long reply is she may be like Rosco and just not want to leave the house or it could just be too cold like a previous post suggested. Oh and as for going right back in after potty break, he did that at first as well. I don't know if it was the weather or being in a new home but he now likes to stay outside and play fetch, lay around, try to eat leaves[emoji85]. All the fun stuff. We live in southeast Texas though so the weather here now is just right.

Good Luck. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Lucy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hey !!!!
sorry for the delay in replying back, just got really busy around here.
thanks for all the replies. we are going to be uploading pictures shortly.
Just one more quick question
I'm going to start to switch her food.
We were feeding her royal canin bulldog puppy and now I bought fromms heartland puppy.
She is eating 1.5 cups 2 times a day morning and night.
Now I'm just wondering how much food do I feed her during the transition?
Fromms says for her age and weight she should be eating 2 7/8 cups a day.
Just want to know how I should do the transition?
Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is an article under 'bulldog information' about diarrhea... it gives a transition chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idaelina

Dec 22, 2016
Tampa Bay, FL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia Clementine
Hey Beth
We have an 11 week old pup, who likes to walk and stop.... I can get her down the block to the park, but we always end up sitting on a park bench and "resting" for the way back... She gets excited and walks faster when we are heading back home (can't believe she already knows where home is). I did notice that loud noises freak her out a bit, and she stops and sits when there is a loud car passing or construction (they are building a house across our street). I try to walk her away from busy roads and away from the construction...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.