Will an unspayed female begin marking before first heat?

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
I've just recently noticed that Sugar who is 5.5 months old seems to be marking in the house. Also, our neutered bulldog Munson seems more interested lately in sniffing her butt and has begun humping her. We planned on spaying her at 6 months. We didn't want her to go through a heat. Is she displaying initial signs of going into heat ? Should we try to get her spayed this week? Of course, I plan to talk to our vet tomorrow, but I just wanted some feedback.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I honestly don't know... but I know that our Willow started having pee accidents before her heat. I'm sure your vet will know for sure...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15958]Helicoptermom[/MENTION] That is pretty young for a female going into heat, but is possible. The first thing I would think of myself is a uti. Try to take a urine sample with you to the vet,to rule out infection. I was lucky, mine were spayed at 1 yr. old, and hadn't come in heat!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Thinking back my pug Tei -Arnna's urine got really strong smelling before her heat cycles but can't remember if she had accidents or not I'm thinking she did but not 100% it was twenty years ago.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Personally, I find that's too young to be spayed. But that's me. I regret having Nyala spayed at 6 months. To redo it, I would of get the tubes tide only so she still goes through the hormone process. Again that's my opinion. Check uti so you can rule that out. Wash everything with vinegar.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
This is exactly what happened when Regina went into heat -- she was just shy of 6 months old. If your bulldog has already started these behaviors you should wait until after the heat is over to spay her. A vet can tell you for sure if she is in heat, but be careful because increased blood flow during heat makes the surgery riskier. I spayed Regina at 1 year and regret not waiting until she was 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.