minifarmmom

Mar 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
So this has started a year or so ago (I can't believe it's been that long!). My male (fixed) bulldog had started peeing on his dog beds and it has now turned into he will pee on anything we give him to sleep with! It is only at night when we go to bed and it happens almost immediately. He does not have a UTI. When he started to pee on the dog beds, we would wash the ones we could and throw the rest out- which I'm sure you know aren't cheap! So then we started letting him sleep on "his" chair..well he started peeing on the chair & our couch. Next, we would lock him in the kitchen with a blanket..he peed on those. Towels..he peed on those.. So now he is crated with no blankets or towels. This is what the vet recommended and what seemed to work the best. He hates it, but we are out of ideas on what to do. It is so frustrating. I hate not giving him something comfy to sleep with but I can't keep throwing out and washing items every morning. Any tips?? Anyone else with a bulldog who does this?? This is not his only behavioral problem but another one we are stumped on what to do- if there is anything we can do.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
I heard of a dog who was a terrier and the owners had his prostrate checked and uti, nothing, the dog kept doing it, a herbalist told them to give their dog tumeric and coconut oil and limit water before bedtime and it worked I don't know specifics as to dosage but had to be something to it, there dog is now 7 and still no problems

If you checked his prostrate and UIT might be worth a try

Update I called the owners of terrier the vet at time wanted to put Harris on PROIN or something like for incontinence for dogs, the drug had side affects and they didn't like the idea so they went to herbalist one teas of coconut oil and one capsul turmeric a day, and no water after 7 no problems since not even an accident

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Is your male fixed? Males will sometimes "mark" their territories...

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
So this has started a year or so ago (I can't believe it's been that long!). My male (fixed) bulldog had started peeing on his dog beds and it has now turned into he will pee on anything we give him to sleep with! It is only at night when we go to bed and it happens almost immediately. He does not have a UTI. When he started to pee on the dog beds, we would wash the ones we could and throw the rest out- which I'm sure you know aren't cheap! So then we started letting him sleep on "his" chair..well he started peeing on the chair & our couch. Next, we would lock him in the kitchen with a blanket..he peed on those. Towels..he peed on those.. So now he is crated with no blankets or towels. This is what the vet recommended and what seemed to work the best. He hates it, but we are out of ideas on what to do. It is so frustrating. I hate not giving him something comfy to sleep with but I can't keep throwing out and washing items every morning. Any tips?? Anyone else with a bulldog who does this?? This is not his only behavioral problem but another one we are stumped on what to do- if there is anything we can do.

I have bulldogs for many years and so have my friends and the issue is always the same the breed is very common in urinating on their bedding anything soft they will pee on. I use a rubber matting that that does not tempt him for peeing but at the same time very comfortable to sleep on anything that is soft or cloth material they will urinate on it no matter what I tried in training I can stop it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It is not a Bulldog thing it is a just some dogs can not have any bedding (towels, blankets, sheet, etc) any type of fabric they will pee on,,,, if he does not pee without bedding ten that is what you'll need to do.... sucks, I know

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You are doing the right thing and crating him with no bedding. As others have said, some dogs just can't have bedding. Our Lucy can not have any type of bedding as she will chew it up. We have put the Vinyl crate pads in all our crates. That's all Lucy sleeps on, the others, we put their bedding on top of the pads. You can get them online, just do a search for vinyl crate pads.

OP
M

minifarmmom

Mar 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thank you. I had no idea it was common for bulldogs. It's so unfortunate.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will look into the vinyl pads!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. I had no idea it was common for bulldogs. It's so unfortunate.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will look into the vinyl pads!

Just to clarify... it is not a bulldog thing.... any breed of dog can have the issue. There are some that just can not have bedding

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
My Cocker Spaniel will pee on most any bedding. I still try from time to time, thinking just maybe he'll do better. He ultimately pees on whatever I give him. My Bulldog doesn't do it, though. He won't go into his crate if there is no bedding and he loves having clean blankies that he can't wait to get in when he sees you change the bedding!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online