Barking and Growling at me CONSTANTLY!!

Lauruie

Nov 11, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
I'm not sure how exactly this behavior started, but I'm sure I did something wrong along the way.

By 2.5 yr old baby Chauncey, will sit there and growl/bark at me for 30 minutes if I let him. I sit at my counter and watch tv, or eat, or pay bills - whatever. Chauncey just sits there, and if I don't give him food, he will just growl and bark at me. He brings his toy bone and drops it. Over and over again. If I play with the bone for a minute, it won't stop him from this action.

I put my hand down to pet him. Nope. He won't come up to me.
I try to talk nice to quiet him. Nope. Doesn't care.
I ignore him. Nope. He will literally keep barking at me until I lose my cool and scream at him. I have to get up and he'll walk into the living room while I'm screaming my damn head off. Then he sits on the couch and stops. I feel bad after a minute and I'll go apologize to him for yelling and pet him.

Then the cycle starts all over again.

Help me. I'm doing something wrong. But what? I'm attaching a couple of videos (if I can figure out how) that I took last night. They are short videos, but this goes on and on until the above cycle takes place. (I can't figure out how to get them from my phone to this post.....errrrrrr)....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm... do you think he wants you to play w/him? I try to do a couple of "play" sessions w/my crew... we usually go for walks in the mid-morning, and have ball time in the evenings. Of course I have two so they keep each other entertained in between times... Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16535]Lauruie[/MENTION] Sounds like he wants attention! Maybe he is bored. Did he get alot of attention when he was growing up? One of mine(Maude) who considers herself the "Queen of the house" sometimes gets bored and starts whining. If I don't do SOMETHING,then she starts to bark at me! I have one of those small lazer lights,like they sell for playing with cats. Well 3 out of 4 dogs fall for it, and chase that red dot! Sometimes I play it with them in the house,and sometimes outside.
They go crazy chasing after it,and I do it for awhile, and then they come in and all take naps!! The one little guy who doesn't chase the light,chases the dogs who are chasing the light! All this to say, maybe Chauncey is bored, and if he will fall for the chase-you can wear him out! They only cost a dollar or two!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

This what Monty does when he wants attention and he does not give up. Is that what Chauncey does?

OP
L

Lauruie

Nov 11, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
It's actually quite ironic and funny that you mention that laser light. I JUST grabbed it out of my kitty room and had all the kids (ALL the dogs AND cats) running everywhere. Pretty funny to watch. I've had him since he was 12 weeks old, so I feel like he has had plenty of attention. I mean, I don't think the amount of attention has changed at all over time.

I am going to look into getting him into obedience classes. He knows "sit", and he knows it well. But that would be all he knows. lol

I'm hoping that will help as well. :)

OP
L

Lauruie

Nov 11, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
I DO play with him. This is just the times I'm preoccupied doing something that isn't involving him.

I guess the issue isn't so much that he is doing it. It is that he WILL NOT stop unless I yell. I don't want to yell at him. I love the big ol' **** head. I just don't get why he doesn't catch on that it is upsetting me. I mean, this is seriously a continual issue. All. The. Time.

OP
L

Lauruie

Nov 11, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
That video is pretty spot on.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He's wanting your attention. Lucy will do this when she wants some loving, or wants to eat. :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
That video is pretty spot on.

I call it his 'Chewbacca' imitation (until the barking starts)! They are stubborn dogs, that's for sure. With Monty, he only does it when we are sitting in our chairs and it is usually me. But he does it when it is his idea of mealtime, wanting to go outside, wanting me to get on the floor for a cuddle (He can't jump, so can't get up on the furniture with me) or for me to stop using my laptop. It is definitely attention seeking for something and I am the one that has to try and figure out what he wants this time! I wish I had advice how to stop it as he will not stop unless I make a move of some kind! I have tried to wait it out but the only way I have found is to divert his attention by moving, even if it is just getting up and walking around the coffee table. I really do feel your pain!!!!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
a tired puppy is a happy puppy. The error I think you might be making, is once he settles down, then you 'apologize' and 'Reward the behavior' w/ lovins. Training ? I think could help... but keep in mind.. training is basically for the PARENTS -- and a little for the puppies -- its how we interact with them (Ever watch Cesar? most cases, its teaching the humans)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is the bulldog version of PAY ATTENTION to me!!! Each has their own way of doing this, but as [MENTION=4729]Chumly[/MENTION]1 stated, he wants to play

Be glad it is that and not what Lambeau does... I get orange tennis balls thrown at my feet :facepalm:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.