5-year old female pees wherever she sleeps

Normanspeanut

Oct 28, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
We recently got a rescue bulldog, zoey, 5 1/2 years old. She was used for breeding for years. Not sure what her life was like but doesn't seem like it was very good. She had a yeast infection and two ear infections when we got her. We thought she was deaf after we got her because she didn't respond to her name, but it's been a month and she's starting to respond now so maybe no one ever called her by her name? She doesn't know a single command. She was not spayed when we got her and she would mark on various rugs and items. She's been spayed for about a week now and this has improved but she pees at night at then sleeps in it...causing her to smell bad. I give her baths frequently but don't want to have to bathe her daily. I've tried two beds and had to throw them both out after she continuously peed on them. We got her a crate to sleep in due to her overnight accidents but every night she pees in there and then sleeps in it. I've tried towels, sheets and nothing in there at all and she still pees. I've used the best cleaners, I take her water away 3 hours before bed and take her out right before putting her in there. Any ideas? She smells, the house smells, it's exhausting. She has been checked out at the vet and has no medical issues. She seems to know to go potty outside, she goes right away, but she won't go to the door to let me know, I just take her out about every 3 hours. When we first got her she wasn't affectionate at all and tended to sit away from us, but now she wants to be next to us all the time. She has peed every night since we got her. Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:welcome4:

Poor Zoey. You're a good soul to have taken her. Sounds like she's on a night mode. She could of been in a cage with a wire bottom. For sure Zoey wasn't taken care of if she had those infections, used just for breeding, no affection, wasnt close to anyone that's for sure. It's going to take a while. Babysteps! !! Seems you're doing a great job as she started to respond to her name, she's sitting near you. Just that alone is fantastic. ....great job on your part! Her peeing I hate to say this but you might need to get up and put her out. It might take a couple weeks but only way you can stretch it out till her system gets to day time peeing and sleep at night. Hey its like toilet training a child. There are diapers for dogs too. If Zoey was used to just breed she most of been in a wired cage and they just didn't care about her. So long she gave babies. Use vinegar all the time after cleaning up as its the only product that will remove all orders. Also, use it in your rinse cycle. Just hang on and dont give up on her, Zoey will do you proud. She's just confused as now she has real owners that care about "her". She's probably not use to getting attention and loved. Other members will also guide you. So hang in there. Zoey needs you and we're here for you! :yes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4: Hi and Welcome to you and Zoey. Thank You so much for rescuing Zoey and giving her a chance at a normal, loving life. I agree with Helene's comments above, and she has given you great advice. This is all new to Zoey, and it will take time for her to learn to be a dog that belongs to someone who cares about her. I would start back to the basics of training and treat her like a puppy. The most important thing when potty training is having a schedule. The rule of thumb for a puppy is they can hold their bladder for one hour for every month of age, so by 5 months, they should be able to hold for 5 to 6 hours. This process shouldn't take as long as with a puppy, since Zoey is 5 years old, but I would start first with taking all her beds, bedding, blankets and towels away, even in her crate, start by taking her out every 2 hours during the day for a week, and take her out for her last pee just before you go to bed. Set your alarm on your clock or cell phone for 2:00 am and take her out, and then first thing in the morning, around 6 or 7 am. Increase the time during the day by an hour each week, until she's going out every 4 to 5 hours during the day. My two guys are both 4 years old, and I take them out about every 4 to 5 hours, they can hold a little longer and have when I have had to go out, but since I am home during the day, I like to keep them on a schedule which is go out at 6 or 6:30 am, eat breakfast, go out again at 10:00 am, go out again around 2:00 or 3:00 pm, eat dinner around 6:00 or 6:30 pm, and back outside, then their last walk at around 10:00 or 11.00 pm. She will soon get used to being on a schedule, praise her every time she goes potty outside and give her a treat. I used to keep a few pieces of their kibble in my pocket to use as a treat. It may take a month or so to get her to this point, but it will be worth it, and it will get better. Good luck with her training, and please keep us posted on how she's doing. Post some pictures of Zoey as well.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Zoey probably spent her whole life up to now,in a cage. Probably never even acknowledged, except to be bred,and have pups. I agree that she will have to be trained,as if she was a pup,as she doesn't know any better,than to pee in the crate(that's what she had to do all her life). In the worlds of dog breeding,there are many who only view the dog as dollar signs-not a being with feelings and needs. Please be patient with her,take her out during the night,and teach her. If she just can't control it during the night-diapers! It sounds like she has already come a long way! [MENTION=16503]Normanspeanut[/MENTION] Thank you for saving Zoey's life!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBNa d thank you for giving her a great new life!

Ladies have given great insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online