So we had a trainer come out...

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
It was a man and a woman, the woman is in training. Biscuit DID NOT like her! As soon as they came in she ran up to them to sniff, she tried jumping once and the guy pushed this canister of air at her and she took off like a bat outta "you know what" lol. That set the tone.

So we talked about what she has been doing etc, and they start by putting one of those prong collars on her. I used to use one for my pitbulls long ago but never really felt the need with her but they say the pressure helps direct them for training. Anywho.. they try to get her to walk around my living room and she was being defiant. Then he tried to get her to lay down and here is where the battle began, he would step on the lead as if to pull her to the ground saying "down" and she flat out refused! She was pushing back on him and this went on for a while. Then the lady gave it a go and Biscuit went after her foot!!! The guy said she was going after the leash but that freaked me out, I've NEVER seen her react like that towards a human. I started to get concerned this may go the wrong direction with her. He asked if she knew the command "down" and I said yes but I normally hand signal, once he did that she went down immediately. I guess that was my fault, I should have practiced it more without a signal.

We tried to get her to practice around the chickens but it was dark and they had already put themselves up for the night. So we went on a short walk and he said she was still unruly on the leash and not being respectful. So long story short he said she is just a big BRAT, used to getting away with whatever she wanted. She isn't aggressive or a "rehab" dog she just needs basic training and someone to make her do it. I'll admit, with 2 little kids, a FT job, a 3 story house to clean my one on one training with her has slipped. So I'm going to make it a priority to work with her.

He didn't like the collar I got, he said nothing that shocks but since I got it she hasn't tried to fight ANY of the dogs and no longer goes nuts around the chickens when they are out. I basically just use the vibrate anyway to grab her attention. I would have liked to hire them to do her training but it was $750 and my husband is between jobs right now, however we can have them come back at any time. They guarantee their training for the life of the dog.

Sorry this got so long, it was over an hour of assessment! I feel like it was beneficial and that I learned a lot about what to do and not to do. I'll keep you posted along the way!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am no dog trainer,and never had one, but it seems to me that they did not "ease" their way in,and were very abrupt with Biscuit,and she didn't trust them. I think you were doing a good job with the collar,and when I take my dogs anywhere, they wear a chain collar,and respond to it very well,and I never have to "choke" them. I have used a prong collar,on my Malanois-and they behaved very well with that. If you can give her 20 minutes a day,you can train her yourself.
There are many good videos on Utube,that could be helpful. Give yourself the $750!!!

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I am no dog trainer,and never had one, but it seems to me that they did not "ease" their way in,and were very abrupt with Biscuit,and she didn't trust them. I think you were doing a good job with the collar,and when I take my dogs anywhere, they wear a chain collar,and respond to it very well,and I never have to "choke" them. I have used a prong collar,on my Malanois-and they behaved very well with that. If you can give her 20 minutes a day,you can train her yourself.
There are many good videos on Utube,that could be helpful. Give yourself the $750!!!

Thanks I agree, they jumped in really fast.

We have a new development though and I don't think we will be keeping her. Another cat has been found dead in our back yard, my husband says she did it. Something isn't right but I don't have any proof she didn't do it and with her history I just don't think we can do this any more. I found someone to take her already, I haven't discussed this all in full yet though with my husband. I've been crying all day.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, there was no chemistry between them and training would not work. I have used a vibrate collar on Frankie and it was wonderful. I did not use the shock part of it and I swear after a few times of the vibration, all I had to do was put the collar on him or show him the remote and he behaved. It is condioning training and they do realize that they are expected to behave a cerain way when they have the collar on. I would skip the expensive training and maybe like you said, carve out 15-20 mins a day to concentrate on commands with Biscuit.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Caitlin, I feel for you and Biscuit. I know you have a difficult decision to make. I am most definitely not an expert but my only advice would be to try working with her 20 minutes today as Lynn and Rosalie suggested and see if she makes improvements. Hugs to you and Biscuit from Murray and I

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I agree, they jumped in really fast.

We have a new development though and I don't think we will be keeping her. Another cat has been found dead in our back yard, my husband says she did it. Something isn't right but I don't have any proof she didn't do it and with her history I just don't think we can do this any more. I found someone to take her already, I haven't discussed this all in full yet though with my husband. I've been crying all day.

OMG... how could she have done it? You would here and see something -- so sorry this is happening--- please keep us posted.

(((Hugs))))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... sounds like this did NOT go the way it should have. I am NOT a trainer, but I have hired several to work w/my crew and I'm going to be honest... FIRST thing that they need to do is earn her trust before they start doing anything. Sounds as if that didn't happen, and I'm always leery of trainers that rely on vibrating collars or prongs from the get-go. Unless she's been extremely aggressive I can't see how this is earning her trust. I completely understand being overwhelmed, and training is the last item on the list, the same exact scenario w/my crew... it's hard to find the time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ive trained and breed dobermams long time ago. I can guarantee you that these so call trainer should of just walked in and ignore her for a good 15 mins. Or go outside in the back and chit chat with you while B is roaming around. In a house it's B territory. Ive used chock collers for years and prong collars. Prongs are great but you sure need to know where to place it. Goes really all the way to the top tucked under the jaw bone. Chock collars ive had that on Major my GS each time I walked him. Nothing is wrong with nipping them so their brain doesn't escalate where you will lose control. You need to nip before the brain gets there. Killing a cat? Eeeeeehhhh like you said no proof. First of all a cat will out run any dog. And cats can sure climb fast if they are in trouble. Unless it's an old cat or the cat knows B. But any dog that kills once and have tasted blood like a hunt, that owner will have to keep an eye out 24/7 cause they eventually will have to get rid of the dog. You dont want a dog that kills for no reason around any child. Major ripped a few dogs apart and I was extremely lucky it wasn't my fault. Either dogs had no leash or dug under my fence. Still NOT a reason to kill. Living with a dog like major and even he was trained to a T, that was so stressful. Once they taste blood that's it. Yes its 24/7 training! With your schedule you will have to find 3hrs a day. Morning n evenings 1.5hrs each time. 30mins is not enough to where B stands right now. If B did kill the cat which you'll never know and you decide to put her in another home, make sure there is no children or other pets and not an older couple. I had to put Major down a year ago because of his aggression and his new target was small children. So what im trying to say, keep an eye out on B 24/7, crate her when you leave if you're not comfortable leaving her loose. Those so call trainer that came to your house should know you just dont go straight to any dog like that. Your chock collar, nothing is wrong with it. That's how they train hunting dogs to bring back the duck in one piece and not taste that blood. , Find somehow 3 hrs a day one on one with B and start "over" her training and if you can't well that's where you have to make a decision keeping her or not. Major was 8yrs old, his brain was already escalated and some dogs you just cant re-train as they're too old to fix. Whatever you do, do not stress yourself over any dog. Your family has to pitch in and also help as you cant do or see everything. If you have a family that just thinks "oh she'll do it" (I dont know your situation im just stating an "if") well guess what... you're not superwoman. Think of your health. Ok that was my 2 cents worth :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hey! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] that was not 2C worth-I think it was $50 worth!!!:tongue:

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Ugh... sounds like this did NOT go the way it should have. I am NOT a trainer, but I have hired several to work w/my crew and I'm going to be honest... FIRST thing that they need to do is earn her trust before they start doing anything. Sounds as if that didn't happen, and I'm always leery of trainers that rely on vibrating collars or prongs from the get-go. Unless she's been extremely aggressive I can't see how this is earning her trust. I completely understand being overwhelmed, and training is the last item on the list, the same exact scenario w/my crew... it's hard to find the time.

Thank you this makes me feel better because they didn't even try to pet her. She jumped up a little and he buzzed her with the air and she took off scared. She didn't want to go near them and I had to chase her to get the collar on her. I didn't get a good vibe at all.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Ive trained and breed dobermams long time ago. I can guarantee you that these so call trainer should of just walked in and ignore her for a good 15 mins. Or go outside in the back and chit chat with you while B is roaming around. In a house it's B territory. Ive used chock collers for years and prong collars. Prongs are great but you sure need to know where to place it. Goes really all the way to the top tucked under the jaw bone. Chock collars ive had that on Major my GS each time I walked him. Nothing is wrong with nipping them so their brain doesn't escalate where you will lose control. You need to nip before the brain gets there. Killing a cat? Eeeeeehhhh like you said no proof. First of all a cat will out run any dog. And cats can sure climb fast if they are in trouble. Unless it's an old cat or the cat knows B. But any dog that kills once and have tasted blood like a hunt, that owner will have to keep an eye out 24/7 cause they eventually will have to get rid of the dog. You dont want a dog that kills for no reason around any child. Major ripped a few dogs apart and I was extremely lucky it wasn't my fault. Either dogs had no leash or dug under my fence. Still NOT a reason to kill. Living with a dog like major and even he was trained to a T, that was so stressful. Once they taste blood that's it. Yes its 24/7 training! With your schedule you will have to find 3hrs a day. Morning n evenings 1.5hrs each time. 30mins is not enough to where B stands right now. If B did kill the cat which you'll never know and you decide to put her in another home, make sure there is no children or other pets and not an older couple. I had to put Major down a year ago because of his aggression and his new target was small children. So what im trying to say, keep an eye out on B 24/7, crate her when you leave if you're not comfortable leaving her loose. Those so call trainer that came to your house should know you just dont go straight to any dog like that. Your chock collar, nothing is wrong with it. That's how they train hunting dogs to bring back the duck in one piece and not taste that blood. , Find somehow 3 hrs a day one on one with B and start "over" her training and if you can't well that's where you have to make a decision keeping her or not. Major was 8yrs old, his brain was already escalated and some dogs you just cant re-train as they're too old to fix. Whatever you do, do not stress yourself over any dog. Your family has to pitch in and also help as you cant do or see everything. If you have a family that just thinks "oh she'll do it" (I dont know your situation im just stating an "if") well guess what... you're not superwoman. Think of your health. Ok that was my 2 cents worth :)

Thank you so much for all of this! So I got home and went to the back yard. It was a horrible scene. First off there was a dead opossum that had JUST happened that morning after I had left because Biscuit had scars on her face. The cat was older yes and we can't figure out why he would have been in our yard. We have a 6ft privacy fence, yes there are slits but they are too small for a cat to go through, the only chance to get in would be to go under the gate. But why? It reeks of dog pee and my bigger dogs are out most of the time (dog door). Our only conclusion is the neighbors loose dogs chased him into the yard or something if fishy. This is the 3rd cat found dead in our yard. The first was before Biscuit. The 2nd I saw when I let her out in the morning, it had rained the night before and the cat was be-headed. There was no evidence in our yard so I assumed a Hawk dropped it? This time there was plenty of evidence. Fur everywhere, it was gruesome. I've never been so sick in my life.

Biscuit is being picked up tomorrow. They are aware of everything and they have older kids. I have NEVER not trusted her with my kids, inside she is a different dog. I just told my mom it's like she is bi-polar. The person still wanted her. I cried all day yesterday, anxiety was so bad I shook all day. This cat yesterday wasn't just a stray but one we have taken care of for a long time, he was so sweet. My husband was crying, it was the worst day ever.

I just can't handle it anymore. I'm expecting my 3rd child, my youngest was over one when we got Biscuit as a puppy and what if she doesn't like the newborn? This is so hard for me but it has to be done. I'll be able to see her on facebook, etc. I may get another bulldog down the road but not for a while. Thanks again.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
OMG... how could she have done it? You would here and see something -- so sorry this is happening--- please keep us posted.

(((Hugs))))

My brain has been on re-play non-stop trying to find out when and how it happened. I was home all day Sunday and didn't hear anything. Unless it happened Saturday, it was my bday and we were gone all day. Biscuit was inside with me up until we left then I left her out bc I knew it would be a while. I blame myself, maybe if I had just left her in the crate this wouldn't have happened. If you see my reply to helsonwheels you will see what happened. She had also killed an opossum. 3 cats, 3 in our yard in 5years! HOW?? Cats are smart, they would know there are dogs back there, there is no food, no temptation. For a long time I thought maybe some psycho kids were doing it. But there is no proof of anything. I'm almost to the point of just being done with dogs all together. NONE of this ever happened before Biscuit. Of all the dogs I could have picked I guess I got the wrong one. She was raised around cats, kids and other dogs yet this still happened. I'm pregnant, my husband out of work and now this. I've officially hit my breaking point.

- - - Updated - - -

(((Hugs))))

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you so much for all of this! So I got home and went to the back yard. It was a horrible scene. First off there was a dead opossum that had JUST happened that morning after I had left because Biscuit had scars on her face. The cat was older yes and we can't figure out why he would have been in our yard. We have a 6ft privacy fence, yes there are slits but they are too small for a cat to go through, the only chance to get in would be to go under the gate. But why? It reeks of dog pee and my bigger dogs are out most of the time (dog door). Our only conclusion is the neighbors loose dogs chased him into the yard or something if fishy. This is the 3rd cat found dead in our yard. The first was before Biscuit. The 2nd I saw when I let her out in the morning, it had rained the night before and the cat was be-headed. There was no evidence in our yard so I assumed a Hawk dropped it? This time there was plenty of evidence. Fur everywhere, it was gruesome. I've never been so sick in my life.

Biscuit is being picked up tomorrow. They are aware of everything and they have older kids. I have NEVER not trusted her with my kids, inside she is a different dog. I just told my mom it's like she is bi-polar. The person still wanted her. I cried all day yesterday, anxiety was so bad I shook all day. This cat yesterday wasn't just a stray but one we have taken care of for a long time, he was so sweet. My husband was crying, it was the worst day ever.

I just can't handle it anymore. I'm expecting my 3rd child, my youngest was over one when we got Biscuit as a puppy and what if she doesn't like the newborn? This is so hard for me but it has to be done. I'll be able to see her on facebook, etc. I may get another bulldog down the road but not for a while. Thanks again.
Don't be hard on yourself. It is NOT easy to have made that choice. I know some might not agree but you have done the right decision for the family. I didn't know about you being pregnant now that's even more of a right decision to place B elsewhere! You won't have that 3 hr for her let alone the family or when your newest bundle comes along. All these dead cats in your side I think the neighbors too if you had no fur or anything anywhere nor you had B back then too. Odd. So don't be hard on yourself. Ms B is going to be looked after. [emoji2]

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I just want to come hug you.... keep us posted on everything-- we're here for you

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Don't be hard on yourself. It is NOT easy to have made that choice. I know some might not agree but you have done the right decision for the family. I didn't know about you being pregnant now that's even more of a right decision to place B elsewhere! You won't have that 3 hr for her let alone the family or when your newest bundle comes along. All these dead cats in your side I think the neighbors too if you had no fur or anything anywhere nor you had B back then too. Odd. So don't be hard on yourself. Ms B is going to be looked after. [emoji2]

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Thank so much, I am trying not to get upset over it all but I can't help it. I have been fighting this uphill battle with her for months now and it's getting worse. I don't think I'm the right owner for her.

Yeah I still suspect something funny. I told my husband if we don't have her and another cat shows up I'm calling the cops. The first cat we had no idea about, we had someone come do a quote on our fence and he told us it was back there. It was in some leaves. It's not like my yard is huge either. I wanted cameras put up after the 2nd one but my hubs said it was just a fluke. Guess he was wrong.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.