Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I think you got some great advice. My Bulldog is not people aggressive but when she gets worked up over new people or something outside our fence (chickens, other dogs, animals) she turns to attacking one of our other dogs. It is definitely a triggered response which is what seems to be happening in your scenario. In the mean time while you are working with both dogs, put a huge note on your front door that says please knock/ring bell and wait to be let in. This will keep your visitors protected until you can put one or both dogs up in their kennels or outside. The risk to too great to let anyone get hurt, especially a child. Then address the barking and other behaviors separately. How about one of those things that emit a pitch when they bark?

I'm enlisting the help of some trainers with my dog. In the mean-time I'm taking the preventative approach, keeping them separate or removing her if I see her getting too excited. If I let my chickens out she must be crated or in the house, etc. My dog like yours is also well trained, but when she gets like that nothing stops her. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for this... We will get started on simulating company and working the door today.

I should also add, it's a weird agression for sure (couple of examples).

- When I come home for lunch at 12 and they are in there kennel sleeping. (ZERO aggression, barking, or anything!) I can put my keys down, take off my coat, go to the washroom, and then go let them out of the kennel and take them outside. All this time they are not aware of who walked in or anything.

- Same behavior as above but NOT in there kennel, couple of times we have left them out, done the same entrance and no issues at all. (Flash forward to us being home and someone walk in... BOOM totally different behavior since they were not sleeping??

- Driving in the veichle (typically good) then the odd time (not every time) if there is someone on the street, or close enough to the truck window (ie sidewalk) BOOM wants to bark, attack etc through the window? no explanation as to all the other cars we drove by.

Also, i'm going to try capture a video tonight of a random knock setting them off (without) me doing any correction as a starting point for reference. Unfortunately no one volunteered to be a random walk in target <I know that's not funny but had to add it>.

Then I can capture another with my correction / method I will be using for any comments or suggestions.

Hi Stanger! Good to see you, but sorry it is for such a difficult reason. The gang has given some great advice and suggestions... hopefully this will all settle back down and Kain will return to the great boy he has always been.

My thought on this might be due to less structure he is come to expect and respond to. it could be he needs that stronger leadership from you and since you stated you pulled back / lessened doing so, he may be lost and feeling he needs to protect. As you stated, go back to your strict structure with them and see if it helps him settle back in. Some dogs just need that stringer leadership/alpha presence, if no they tend to feel vulnerable and insecure.

BEST of luck and please, please keep us posted

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Ok so from what ive read Kain had absolutely no issues before Maverick came along. Maverick is the barker and all. Kain was there before so he's the alpha from what im reading. Kain's reaction is because of Maverick's behavior. You mentioned quote:

Maverick barks at everything / anybody and doesn't obey when we say no, this puts kain on defense and immediately red lines at the same time.

You need to work om Maverick as he triggers Kain. Kain should not be anywhere near your granddaughter till you have fix both dog's issues. But if Maverick triggers Kain, that's the one you need to work on so he stops barking at anything and everything and as you said he doesn't listen. When Kain reacts, immediately put him on his side with your front chest above his face so hs sees YOUR the boss and hold him down so he doesn't move. Leave him there for a good 10 mins. Repeat each time till he gets it and add a few more minutes each time to the floor. Once you fix Maverick's problem, Kain will back off. Be alert at all time and leave them in there kennel when you leave. They have no right to be barking in windows etc. Its for their own safety.
I'm inclined to mirror these thoughts...with only one addition. Kain will eventually find another trigger and you must always be mindful of that. What I cannot agree with more is,

"Kain should not be anywhere near your granddaughter till you have fix both dog's issues."

This is the most important thing! Kain has already bitten, more than once, and your family's safety comes first! I wish you well in this most difficult scenario.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I had a Vet Appointment for Kain and of course he was well behaved as they offer a treat which changes his stance on things right up front. They didn't think his anal gland was any concern because there is no other signs like licking, scratching, butt scratching on the floor etc. As for Prozac or other medicine they thought it would be best to ramp up the triaining and solve the "protection" issue without medication and see how he responds. If needed we can have a follow up.

I can say, however and anyone that actively trains with there dog knows how fast they start to listen that we do see a much different attitude in basic around the house bark / attention to a noise. As long as we are quick to respond, address, and fix it is at a much lower result than if a person yells over there bark etc to try and fix it.

With Maverick, I simply stand up and look at him, and he already knows he is doing something not allowed. The door issue has seen progress but will take a much bigger time to address as well, but the sign is up on the door letting people know I will not open it until the situation is under control, and i'm working on a single spot they can sit in a down position while I open the door. rewarding with treats when there action warrants it.

I will post further updates for sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy to hear Kain is healthy--- good luck with the training--- sending lots of positive vibes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sounds like you have a plan and are doing everything you can to solve the issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sincerely hoping that all works out for you and the dogs-one happy home!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.