Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Kain) Bulldog Aggression

Potty Trainer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: (Kain) Bulldog Aggression

I have 3 Bullies and last year they started to fight. The older dog gets very excited and has anxiety issues. I bought a training collar for her which calms her down, I only use it when I know people are coming just putting it on stops her running around that keeps the others 2 quite. I also keep them in different parts of the house. When we go outside they are together but I do watch them carefully. I don't think you can stop it but you can be proactive and keep it under control. I love all my guys and although it is a little inconvenient it is worth it. Good luck. I to have a 17 month old granddaughter that comes to visit I just keep the excited dog away when they come.

2. Likes Hankster liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie or Primrose
    Likes (Received)

I have been thinking on this Kain for 2 days .
    I have still not been able to come up with a answer to your issue , I have 5 dogs and never had the issue so far , I would be very curious to see what the vet has to say .
    I am sorry you are going threw this it sounds like a scary position to be in .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

4. Likes Hankster liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    Thank you for this... We will get started on simulating company and working the door today.

I should also add, it's a weird agression for sure (couple of examples).

- When I come home for lunch at 12 and they are in there kennel sleeping. (ZERO aggression, barking, or anything!) I can put my keys down, take off my coat, go to the washroom, and then go let them out of the kennel and take them outside. All this time they are not aware of who walked in or anything.

- Same behavior as above but NOT in there kennel, couple of times we have left them out, done the same entrance and no issues at all. (Flash forward to us being home and someone walk in... BOOM totally different behavior since they were not sleeping??

- Driving in the veichle (typically good) then the odd time (not every time) if there is someone on the street, or close enough to the truck window (ie sidewalk) BOOM wants to bark, attack etc through the window? no explanation as to all the other cars we drove by.

Also, i'm going to try capture a video tonight of a random knock setting them off (without) me doing any correction as a starting point for reference. Unfortunately no one volunteered to be a random walk in target <I know that's not funny but had to add it>.

Then I can capture another with my correction / method I will be using for any comments or suggestions.
    It really sounds like protecting to me. The scenario of you walking into the home is fine for them because they know you belong there. anyone else, they feel they have to protect you.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

I think you got some great advice. My Bulldog is not people aggressive but when she gets worked up over new people or something outside our fence (chickens, other dogs, animals) she turns to attacking one of our other dogs. It is definitely a triggered response which is what seems to be happening in your scenario. In the mean time while you are working with both dogs, put a huge note on your front door that says please knock/ring bell and wait to be let in. This will keep your visitors protected until you can put one or both dogs up in their kennels or outside. The risk to too great to let anyone get hurt, especially a child. Then address the barking and other behaviors separately. How about one of those things that emit a pitch when they bark?

I'm enlisting the help of some trainers with my dog. In the mean-time I'm taking the preventative approach, keeping them separate or removing her if I see her getting too excited. If I let my chickens out she must be crated or in the house, etc. My dog like yours is also well trained, but when she gets like that nothing stops her. Good luck!

7. Likes Hankster liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    Thank you for this... We will get started on simulating company and working the door today.

I should also add, it's a weird agression for sure (couple of examples).

- When I come home for lunch at 12 and they are in there kennel sleeping. (ZERO aggression, barking, or anything!) I can put my keys down, take off my coat, go to the washroom, and then go let them out of the kennel and take them outside. All this time they are not aware of who walked in or anything.

- Same behavior as above but NOT in there kennel, couple of times we have left them out, done the same entrance and no issues at all. (Flash forward to us being home and someone walk in... BOOM totally different behavior since they were not sleeping??

- Driving in the veichle (typically good) then the odd time (not every time) if there is someone on the street, or close enough to the truck window (ie sidewalk) BOOM wants to bark, attack etc through the window? no explanation as to all the other cars we drove by.

Also, i'm going to try capture a video tonight of a random knock setting them off (without) me doing any correction as a starting point for reference. Unfortunately no one volunteered to be a random walk in target <I know that's not funny but had to add it>.

Then I can capture another with my correction / method I will be using for any comments or suggestions.

Hi Stanger! Good to see you, but sorry it is for such a difficult reason. The gang has given some great advice and suggestions... hopefully this will all settle back down and Kain will return to the great boy he has always been.

My thought on this might be due to less structure he is come to expect and respond to. it could be he needs that stronger leadership from you and since you stated you pulled back / lessened doing so, he may be lost and feeling he needs to protect. As you stated, go back to your strict structure with them and see if it helps him settle back in. Some dogs just need that stringer leadership/alpha presence, if no they tend to feel vulnerable and insecure.

BEST of luck and please, please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Ok so from what ive read Kain had absolutely no issues before Maverick came along. Maverick is the barker and all. Kain was there before so he's the alpha from what im reading. Kain's reaction is because of Maverick's behavior. You mentioned quote:

Maverick barks at everything / anybody and doesn't obey when we say no, this puts kain on defense and immediately red lines at the same time.

You need to work om Maverick as he triggers Kain. Kain should not be anywhere near your granddaughter till you have fix both dog's issues. But if Maverick triggers Kain, that's the one you need to work on so he stops barking at anything and everything and as you said he doesn't listen. When Kain reacts, immediately put him on his side with your front chest above his face so hs sees YOUR the boss and hold him down so he doesn't move. Leave him there for a good 10 mins. Repeat each time till he gets it and add a few more minutes each time to the floor. Once you fix Maverick's problem, Kain will back off. Be alert at all time and leave them in there kennel when you leave. They have no right to be barking in windows etc. Its for their own safety.
    I'm inclined to mirror these thoughts...with only one addition. Kain will eventually find another trigger and you must always be mindful of that. What I cannot agree with more is,

"Kain should not be anywhere near your granddaughter till you have fix both dog's issues."

This is the most important thing! Kain has already bitten, more than once, and your family's safety comes first! I wish you well in this most difficult scenario.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

10. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I had a Vet Appointment for Kain and of course he was well behaved as they offer a treat which changes his stance on things right up front. They didn't think his anal gland was any concern because there is no other signs like licking, scratching, butt scratching on the floor etc. As for Prozac or other medicine they thought it would be best to ramp up the triaining and solve the "protection" issue without medication and see how he responds. If needed we can have a follow up.

I can say, however and anyone that actively trains with there dog knows how fast they start to listen that we do see a much different attitude in basic around the house bark / attention to a noise. As long as we are quick to respond, address, and fix it is at a much lower result than if a person yells over there bark etc to try and fix it.

With Maverick, I simply stand up and look at him, and he already knows he is doing something not allowed. The door issue has seen progress but will take a much bigger time to address as well, but the sign is up on the door letting people know I will not open it until the situation is under control, and i'm working on a single spot they can sit in a down position while I open the door. rewarding with treats when there action warrants it.

I will post further updates for sure.

12. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Happy to hear Kain is healthy--- good luck with the training--- sending lots of positive vibes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

14. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you have a plan and are doing everything you can to solve the issue. Good luck and keep us posted.
    My smooshy face boy!

16. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

Sincerely hoping that all works out for you and the dogs-one happy home!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads