New dog not getting along with old dog

Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
So I have an 8 month old bulldog named khaleesi she's usually very playful with other dogs and high energy hut very sweet. I just brought home an 8 week old bulldog puppy home today and was not expecting it to go like this. The puppy wants nothing to do with khaleesi and khaleesi has been nonstop trying to play too roughly with the puppy for about 5 hours now hasn't tired out one bit. I'm giving them both plenty of attention but my new puppy is fixated on my attention and khaleesi is fixated on playing and standing over the puppy even when she's sleeping and the puppy is getting angry and growling and acting very seriously back towards khaleesi. If I put the puppy up she will whine and cry and I have neighbors if I put khaleesi up I feel bad because she is a very sweet dog and isn't trying to be bad she's just excited to have a playmate that wants nothing to do with her

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Try separating them by gates for now. The puppy is in a new environment and probably very overwhelmed. Have them sleep in separate crates in the same room.

Right now make it about sight and smell and introduce touch later.

The puppy has obviously attached to you as its parent and is feeling overwhelmed by the excited dog. Try also training time together. Maybe food will redirect khaleesi's attention.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] bang on !!!

8 weeks is very young. Give the new puppy some breathing time. 8 months is like on the go play play playyyyy lol
Im sure they will get along soon. Whatever you do, dont neglect your 8th month puppy.

OP
Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
ok thanks guys she's calmed down a lot and its getting better I had just never seen khaleesi like that. She's always energetic, but shes never been like that around other dogs. And I made sure to keep the attention equal with them and I took khaleesi to the dog beach for a run this morning to get some energy out and since then she's been a bit better, but I'll keep yall posted

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Great advice above...

It will take some time, but they will decide who's Alpha... give them both space to sort things out.

OP
Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
image.jpegimage.jpeg

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Everyone has you covered , What I also do is but a day worn shirt in there crates as it will have My scent on it I found that they liked that and slept better , just remember to pull it out and replace every couple of days with a new scented one . I do this for a couple of weeks , when it is laundry day on the third week I pull all and do not replace with any day worn most times that is the end , but they seem to settle for bed time quicker and sleep better especially the puppy age group .

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great photo! If they can sleep together like that-they will be okay. The pup is new,and her whole world is new. Give her time to adjust,also give her breaks to nap. you will see,they will be buddies-Khaleesi just has to be taught to be more gentle. I always told mine to "take it easy,it's a baby dog" A pen, or a crate to give the pup a place to rest!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang.... it took about two weeks for Cheli to accept Lambeau in the house -- then best friends began to form. Two years later -- they are shadows

OP
Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
yeah a lot of beaches in california are no dogs allowed, but they have seperate sections where dogs can go to the beach and off the leash. I go to hungtington a lot, but theres one in oceanside thats nice as well and I know theres a lot more.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So I have an 8 month old bulldog named khaleesi she's usually very playful with other dogs and high energy hut very sweet. I just brought home an 8 week old bulldog puppy home today and was not expecting it to go like this. The puppy wants nothing to do with khaleesi and khaleesi has been nonstop trying to play too roughly with the puppy for about 5 hours now hasn't tired out one bit. I'm giving them both plenty of attention but my new puppy is fixated on my attention and khaleesi is fixated on playing and standing over the puppy even when she's sleeping and the puppy is getting angry and growling and acting very seriously back towards khaleesi. If I put the puppy up she will whine and cry and I have neighbors if I put khaleesi up I feel bad because she is a very sweet dog and isn't trying to be bad she's just excited to have a playmate that wants nothing to do with her
Get a play yard and put the puppy in it until Khaleesi gets used to the puppy. She will get used to the little guy eventually. She will learn to be gentle

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.