Shock collar being ordered : /

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Biscuit it getting worse. Yesterday my husband was home and the neighbor came over to talk. The dogs were in the back yard and whenever people come into the picture she automatically goes after Tucker. (a rescue Catahoula mix) He was yelling and throwing stuff at her and she wouldn't stop, then in turn it got my other boy dog to jump in the mix. My husband got them separated and put Biscuit inside, he was furious. They were both bleeding, Tucker has 2 bites on both front legs and Biscuit has some nice gashes. I had JUST got cuts on her head healed from the last fight. SHE DOES NOT CARE.

A shock collar is my last resort other than seeing if my parents or cousin would like her. She may just need to be in a one-pet home. She adores people and kids but her prey drive is through the roof, she barks constantly. We got 4 chickens and she goes nuts if she sees them. She is fine with our cat now but given the chance I'm sure she would chase them too.

As for dogs she is so hit or miss I can't predict it, she has got in fights at the dog park and at home. It's not toward males or females either it's just random. I got her at 10 weeks, socialized her well and have trained her myself. It just goes to show it has nothing to do with breeds, it's all personality they are born with.

I do think the collar will work, she is smart but stubborn. I just never expected this.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just a hard decision, Caitlin, my heart goes out to y'all. Get that shock collar before someone gets hurt badly.
Hopefully, Biscuit won't have to wear it very long, if she doesn't stop this than, yes, rehome her. The tension
& fear that builds up destroys the joy of being together as a group...it's not worth it.

Will keep prayers going that the shock collar stops this behavior (have you tried Prozac)...Hugs!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Speaking as experience, my GS had a shock collar all his life. Dogtra are the best. Made for hunting dogs. But like yours love people but ripped apart a few dogs. Collar or not when he was fixated on something, thrust me even at full power which you NEVER use unless you know how, he overpowered his collar. His brain was on a mission. There is nothing you can dog but be alert 24/7. ALWAYS remember, when you use the coller and you put it to over 50 just use the zap button. Do not keep your finger on full blast. This is current WHAT GOES IN MUST COME OUT! Make a gash!!! I would use it with a trainer if you can. The trainer will show you how to use it. When you have a dog and his is escalated, not much you can do but grab the dog, put it to its side asap for minimum 15 mins. At 115 lbs all muscles GS and his brain at the top of his mission with his eye fixed, I couldn't do it anymore. Weight of a full force dog on a mission is 4x his weight. The connectors has to be right under his top jawline neck or where the trachea is. Yes sounds harsh and it is. Why I think anyone that uses a shock collar needs training. Make sure when you put it on you can fit 2 fingers under it and dont leave the hand control near any child as this is not a toy. Good luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry you are going through this, and I agree, if you get a shock collar, get a trainer to teach you how to properly use it. I also agree, when they get their mind fixated on something, they will ignore the collar. I hope it works for you, and you don't have to re-home, but sometimes that is best, as some ill not get along with others no matter what you do.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Just a hard decision, Caitlin, my heart goes out to y'all. Get that shock collar before someone gets hurt badly.
Hopefully, Biscuit won't have to wear it very long, if she doesn't stop this than, yes, rehome her. The tension
& fear that builds up destroys the joy of being together as a group...it's not worth it.

Will keep prayers going that the shock collar stops this behavior (have you tried Prozac)...Hugs!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I agree one of these times a dog or person even is going to get badly hurt. He has never done anything to her, never challenged her, nothing. She is just a bully!

I haven't thought of Prozac! If this doesn't work I'll talk to my vet, she is about to go for her yearly appt so I'll mention it. Thanks again.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Thank you for the advice! I am only going to start with the beeping and vibrations and if she doesn't respond go from there. I want to be able to stop her before she even has a chance to go after him. I will be sure to keep it up high and if I have issues I'll call the trainer I had used before with her. I can't imagine having a huge GS, at least she is just 45lbs and doesn't have that strong of a bite like they do! I'll update later to see how it's going.

Speaking as experience, my GS had a shock collar all his life. Dogtra are the best. Made for hunting dogs. But like yours love people but ripped apart a few dogs. Collar or not when he was fixated on something, thrust me even at full power which you NEVER use unless you know how, he overpowered his collar. His brain was on a mission. There is nothing you can dog but be alert 24/7. ALWAYS remember, when you use the coller and you put it to over 50 just use the zap button. Do not keep your finger on full blast. This is current WHAT GOES IN MUST COME OUT! Make a gash!!! I would use it with a trainer if you can. The trainer will show you how to use it. When you have a dog and his is escalated, not much you can do but grab the dog, put it to its side asap for minimum 15 mins. At 115 lbs all muscles GS and his brain at the top of his mission with his eye fixed, I couldn't do it anymore. Weight of a full force dog on a mission is 4x his weight. The connectors has to be right under his top jawline neck or where the trachea is. Yes sounds harsh and it is. Why I think anyone that uses a shock collar needs training. Make sure when you put it on you can fit 2 fingers under it and dont leave the hand control near any child as this is not a toy. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the advice! I am only going to start with the beeping and vibrations and if she doesn't respond go from there. I want to be able to stop her before she even has a chance to go after him. I will be sure to keep it up high and if I have issues I'll call the trainer I had used before with her. I can't imagine having a huge GS, at least she is just 45lbs and doesn't have that strong of a bite like they do! I'll update later to see how it's going.

OP
Biscuitsmom

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Thank you! I will email my trainer now to see what he says. I've only ever had to re-home one pet before and it was for her own safety. She went to an amazing home. If it does come to that I know plenty of amazing homes where she would be the only dog. I just hope it doesn't have to come to that.

Sorry you are going through this, and I agree, if you get a shock collar, get a trainer to teach you how to properly use it. I also agree, when they get their mind fixated on something, they will ignore the collar. I hope it works for you, and you don't have to re-home, but sometimes that is best, as some ill not get along with others no matter what you do.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online