Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Puppy waking up during the night

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)

Default Puppy waking up during the night

Sugar is 13 weeks and eats at 530 am and 6:30 pm. She goes to her crate to sleep around 11 pm but wakes up between 3 and 4 am. I take her out to pee but she cries when I put her back in crate because she is ravenous. She eats 3 cups of food twice a day. Any suggestions to get her to sleep through the night?)

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy waking up during the night

I feed my guys at 7:00 am. And 3:00 pm. I feed them earlier at night so they go to the bathroom earlier. They get cookies when my husband gets up at 5:00 am and I give them a cookie at noon. This works for us.

3. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

At thirteen weeks I feed my pups 4 times a day. When they're about 16 weeks I switch to 3 times a day and at 6 months twice a day.

5. Likes Manydogs, helsonwheels liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, Strikes, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Helicoptermom View Post
    She eats 3 cups of food twice a day. Any suggestions to get her to sleep through the night?)
    It's been many years since I had a puppy that age but I'd try feeding her more often for now. Three times/day at least and MUCH smaller meals...3 cups at one time is WAY too much. At her age 3 cups/day is sufficient.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Puppies are just like babies, they have a small stomach so you need to feed them several times a day to keep them satisfied. I feed my puppies 3 times a day, and a snack a couple of hours before bedtime. Now that pups are older they get 2 meals, a small treat during the day (my lunchtime) and a snack of fruit at bedtime.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

My dogs are "grown" but they have always gotten a snack before bed-a little dog food with some yogurt. They still do. They also get some broken up pieces of doggie "biscuits" when they went in their crate.( No longer need crate)
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

BullyWood Movie Star helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

@Helicoptermom all great advice above. Way too young to eat 2x a day. Spread it 4x or at lease 3x a day and yogurts or good snacks.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Helicoptermom View Post
    Sugar is 13 weeks and eats at 530 am and 6:30 pm. She goes to her crate to sleep around 11 pm but wakes up between 3 and 4 am. I take her out to pee but she cries when I put her back in crate because she is ravenous. She eats 3 cups of food twice a day. Any suggestions to get her to sleep through the night?)
    Hi, you've been given great advice by others above. I agree smaller frequent meals are best for a puppy.
    When my guys were puppies we fed them 1 cup three times a day at 6:00 am, 12:00 noon and again at 6:00 pm, then when they were about 7 months old, we switched them from Puppy Kibble to an adults formula kibble and reduced them to 1 cup of kibble twice a day feedings.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

11. Likes jaypulay liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess because it was 4 in the am when I originally posted I was unclear . Sugar eats 1.5 cups twice a day, but I am going to spread that to 3 times a day by giving a small meal with yogurt right before bedtime. My other bulldog slept through the night when he was a puppy so I needed advice on my new one. Just goes to show they are all different just like two legged kids.

13. Likes 2BullyMama, Chunky White liked this post

Remove Ads