Puppy waking up during the night

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Sugar is 13 weeks and eats at 530 am and 6:30 pm. She goes to her crate to sleep around 11 pm but wakes up between 3 and 4 am. I take her out to pee but she cries when I put her back in crate because she is ravenous. She eats 3 cups of food twice a day. Any suggestions to get her to sleep through the night?)

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
I feed my guys at 7:00 am. And 3:00 pm. I feed them earlier at night so they go to the bathroom earlier. They get cookies when my husband gets up at 5:00 am and I give them a cookie at noon. This works for us.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
At thirteen weeks I feed my pups 4 times a day. When they're about 16 weeks I switch to 3 times a day and at 6 months twice a day.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
She eats 3 cups of food twice a day. Any suggestions to get her to sleep through the night?)
It's been many years since I had a puppy that age but I'd try feeding her more often for now. Three times/day at least and MUCH smaller meals...3 cups at one time is WAY too much. At her age 3 cups/day is sufficient.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Puppies are just like babies, they have a small stomach so you need to feed them several times a day to keep them satisfied. I feed my puppies 3 times a day, and a snack a couple of hours before bedtime. Now that pups are older they get 2 meals, a small treat during the day (my lunchtime) and a snack of fruit at bedtime.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs are "grown" but they have always gotten a snack before bed-a little dog food with some yogurt. They still do. They also get some broken up pieces of doggie "biscuits" when they went in their crate.( No longer need crate)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15958]Helicoptermom[/MENTION] all great advice above. Way too young to eat 2x a day. Spread it 4x or at lease 3x a day and yogurts or good snacks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sugar is 13 weeks and eats at 530 am and 6:30 pm. She goes to her crate to sleep around 11 pm but wakes up between 3 and 4 am. I take her out to pee but she cries when I put her back in crate because she is ravenous. She eats 3 cups of food twice a day. Any suggestions to get her to sleep through the night?)

Hi, you've been given great advice by others above. I agree smaller frequent meals are best for a puppy.
When my guys were puppies we fed them 1 cup three times a day at 6:00 am, 12:00 noon and again at 6:00 pm, then when they were about 7 months old, we switched them from Puppy Kibble to an adults formula kibble and reduced them to 1 cup of kibble twice a day feedings.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess because it was 4 in the am when I originally posted I was unclear . Sugar eats 1.5 cups twice a day, but I am going to spread that to 3 times a day by giving a small meal with yogurt right before bedtime. My other bulldog slept through the night when he was a puppy so I needed advice on my new one. Just goes to show they are all different just like two legged kids.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.