How much is too much??? Need help fast

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Ok, so Munson our one year old bulldog just got a baby sister Sugar 12 weeks. It has only been two days so I know we have a long way to go before they adapt to each other. From the advice I have received, we have done the following: we give them their separate spaces and time out from one another. Munson keeps the den as his space and Sugar gets the living room. She sleeps and naps in her crate in the living room. Munson sleeps in his crate in the den at night. We walk them together and they do fine. When we give them time together, Munson follows her around, licks and sniffs her and wants any toy she is playing with. Sugar is fine with that at first and just moves on to another toy. Then within three minutes, it's like a two ringed circus. One is chasing the other. If one stops, the other one starts. Sugar is not intimidated and because Munson has size and weight on his side will snap at his jowls. Munson will push her down and sometimes sits on her for a second. I know all of this is part of the alpha test and getting used to each other, but how long time wise should we let this interaction go on ? At what point should we intervene or should we intervene? Of course, they are both exhausted, Munson more so than Sugar. In the beginning, we try praising and rewarding each one if they leave the other one alone or are gentle with each other, but invariably it only lasts so long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So far that all sounds very typical... keep close watch and give a correction as needed. it most likely will be Sugar needing the correction, but Munson will let her know when she has gone too far.

The taking of toys from each other is totally normal -- Lambeau will not allow Cheli to have any toy, even if they have the same exact one (color/shape..etc) he has to have to take what Cheli has. :facepalm:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, all very normal, bulldogs don't earn their names lightly, they
are bullheaded & very determined to get THEIR way.

Take them for walks together, each leashed (of course)...it's neutral
territory and they'll bond easier. Also great to work that excess energy
& tension buildup off them...a tired bulldog is a good bulldog :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the advice above... this is extremely normal. You will know when things get out of hand, and it's time to intervene... just keep an eye on them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When I had pups, I was constantly saying "take it easy,it's a baby dog!" Maude has to have any toy that someone else has! I used to buy 4 of each,but now only buy one,as they want "that one!" My dogs have always been good with new ones-I can't count how many I've had-they are here til death do us part. When things get too rough,I would put pups in a pen(had one in the kitchen) and they'd take a nap.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ever had/seen ohhhh lets say a 3yr old and a 5yr (children) old play together????? Ahhhh there you go.

When Nyala plays with my son's pitbulls who are 2 n 3 yrs old (2 females) whom are much taller and heavier than Nyala......she will jump non stop on their jowls and pull. Yes whoever sees her we say NO and she'll look at you and go back. Then its a time out. But my son's dogs aren't any better. The bigger one will hip hit Nyala and roll over her. What are you going to do? Leave them play, keep an eye out on all 3 so it doesn't get rough.

The little ones dont always give their place. Not because Nyala (like Sugar) is the smallest or baby she'll get away with it. She gets punished like the time she "cornered" and yes they all saw her do it...she cornered Luna a 90lbs pitbull and Luna couldn't move for a few seconds.

All this to say, keep an eye out so it doesn't get too rough and if Sugar bits jowls give her time out.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Thank you so much for giving specifics. My son who has worked with dogs dropped by today and watched them interact. He said the exact same things you did. I feel better now, thanks again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.