Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Tips on how to get my bully to adjust to a new puppy

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Munson
    Likes (Received)

Default Tips on how to get my bully to adjust to a new puppy

We have had Munson for one year and just added a new bulldog puppy Sugar to our family. Munson is one and Sugar is 12 weeks. Munson has always loved every dog and been extremely passive. The first couple of hours Munson tried to lick her in the face non stop and she stood her ground and snapped and growled at him which kept him at bay. The next two hours she tried to tolerate him and ignore him but he would charge her and bark in her face until she snapped back. We have only had her about 6 hours and now I am keeping her with me in a separate part of the house while my husband keeps Munson with him in the den. I know it is going to take a while for the two to adjust , but I need all the advice I can get. Should I crate them tonight in separate rooms?

2. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tips on how to get my bully to adjust to a new puppy

Welcome......You can crate the litte one because 12 weeks is young having it roam at night. I wouldn't crate the older one as he was there first. You might create another problem. In the day dont crate let the get use to each other. Munson reminds me of mine just loves anyone, anything, jumps, licks till you get fed up. Good characters. It's the little one Sugar, you will have to say no to.12 weeks they are old enough to start discipline. Snapping is not good as it leads to bites later on.

4. Likes Chunky White, CCandMurray liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I had the exact same scenario at our house... we kept Willow crated at night, and let Walter sleep in our room on the floor. It will take some time for them to decide dominance, but from what I've seen on this forum it's usually the female I would make sure you give them both plenty of attention so they don't become jealous of each other, and we also took them on short walks side by side. Puppies can wear out older dogs, so we would put Willow in her playpen to give Walter a break from the madness... Good luck and we would love to see pics!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

I have been very lucky I guess. I have never had a problem bringing home another puppy! But I do wish you the best with your two!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Walks are a good way of helping them get used to each other, but you want to be careful with where you walk her till she has all her shots (usually around 14-16 weeks).

it is always the female that seems to be a little terror... Munson seems to be playful and accepting, but Sugar is a little firecracker, huh?

to EBN
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes Texas Carol, ddnene liked this post

Remove Ads