Tips on how to get my bully to adjust to a new puppy

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
We have had Munson for one year and just added a new bulldog puppy Sugar to our family. Munson is one and Sugar is 12 weeks. Munson has always loved every dog and been extremely passive. The first couple of hours Munson tried to lick her in the face non stop and she stood her ground and snapped and growled at him which kept him at bay. The next two hours she tried to tolerate him and ignore him but he would charge her and bark in her face until she snapped back. We have only had her about 6 hours and now I am keeping her with me in a separate part of the house while my husband keeps Munson with him in the den. I know it is going to take a while for the two to adjust , but I need all the advice I can get. Should I crate them tonight in separate rooms?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome......You can crate the litte one because 12 weeks is young having it roam at night. I wouldn't crate the older one as he was there first. You might create another problem. In the day dont crate let the get use to each other. Munson reminds me of mine just loves anyone, anything, jumps, licks till you get fed up. Good characters. It's the little one Sugar, you will have to say no to.12 weeks they are old enough to start discipline. Snapping is not good as it leads to bites later on.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had the exact same scenario at our house... we kept Willow crated at night, and let Walter sleep in our room on the floor. It will take some time for them to decide dominance, but from what I've seen on this forum it's usually the female :lol: I would make sure you give them both plenty of attention so they don't become jealous of each other, and we also took them on short walks side by side. Puppies can wear out older dogs, so we would put Willow in her playpen to give Walter a break from the madness... Good luck and we would love to see pics!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have been very lucky I guess. I have never had a problem bringing home another puppy! But I do wish you the best with your two!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Walks are a good way of helping them get used to each other, but you want to be careful with where you walk her till she has all her shots (usually around 14-16 weeks).

it is always the female that seems to be a little terror... Munson seems to be playful and accepting, but Sugar is a little firecracker, huh?

:welcome3: to EBN

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.