SouthernBred

Mar 18, 2016
Worcester, Mass
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirius
Hi Everyone

So yesterday was not a great day had to go to the vet for allergies related reasons. We have been many times before never had any issues then, we have yesterday. He was just a complete asshole and idk why. I have to wonder if it was because he was already irritated or if it was because our regular vet was on vacation. he was not aggressive in anyway but more trying to run away even with me holding him witch usually helps.

I am willing to listen to anything I have to do to make him understand they are not trying to hurt him. I felt so bad yesterday FELT LIKE THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO TO HELP HIM.

Please any suggestions to work on at home would be great

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Could be a combination of the both things, already not feeling well, and not a familiar vet. I bring treats with me to the vet, because I don't want Tyson to think of it as a negative place. I reward him after he let's them examine him, or do whatever they need to do. Now, he looks at me afterwards... they are small treats, tiny in fact, but he associates the reward with the visit which helps alot. But I have noticed that he loves his vet and behaves so much better with her vs. the vet techs.

OP
SouthernBred

SouthernBred

Mar 18, 2016
Worcester, Mass
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirius
Could be a combination of the both things, already not feeling well, and not a familiar vet. I bring treats with me to the vet, because I don't want Tyson to think of it as a negative place. I reward him after he let's them examine him, or do whatever they need to do. Now, he looks at me afterwards... they are small treats, tiny in fact, but he associates the reward with the visit which helps alot. But I have noticed that he loves his vet and behaves so much better with her vs. the vet techs.

I bring treats in to and give him his thumbs up as it goes. Im hoping this was truly just a bad day

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had this sometimes with Banks .... 99% of the time at the vet office, she would just sit and do what is needed, but there was always an off day somewhere along the line.... a cat in the waiting room, a dog barking in another room, not our usual vet or... she was just in a beeeochy mood. Cheli is the same.... 9 out of 10 time we go to the vet he is perfection, but evey now and then he has a day that I have to actually lift him by the harness (he is a 24 lb Frenchie) and tell him NO!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala only went 2x but she loves everyone and anything. But my GS, it was us that was terrified going to the vet as he love adults but would grab any dog, cat, small child and hell would break loose. Before walking in we had to wait outside, see if all was cleared, put in a vet room n wait there. They always had a jar of dog biscuits. Well, by the time the vet came in, half the cookies were gone. :) got his shots, vet gave him a cookie for being good and kind of did that double look at the jar. So yes, like mentioned above, fill your pockets of good treats or cheese.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online