Help Needed! I'm SO angry at Willow right now...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
As most of you know, Willow was in heat and she just finished a couple of days ago... my plan is to have her spayed in Oct. We have had some issues w/her lashing out at Walter, but she seemed to be doing better at keeping herself under control. I have been on back to back trips that last couple of weeks, so it's been kinda crazy at the house...

Anyway, last night they BOTH got their new beds from K-9 Ballistics... BOY did she absolutely LOSE her mind. She started lashing out at him, and it turned into a full fledge fight... and Wally finally defended himself and she ended up w/a good mark on her face. I just don't understand it... she is SO mean to him :bitching: I can tell when it starts, she will walk around him w/her hackles up... almost like daring him to come near either me/Ray. We will purposely give Wally attention first and then pet/love on her IF she is able to control herself. Most of the time Wally just walks away, but not last night. She also has started peeing in the bathroom on the rugs (AND peed in her new bed last night... Grr). Last night I ended up picking her up and putting her in her crate, but she just kept barking and making me nuts. At night we put her in our bathroom w/the door closed, and Wally is laying by the bed on the floor (or in his new bed). Right now they are chewing antlers side by side, I just don't know what triggers her yet (besides the affection thing) and it's making me crazy. I also think it's boredom... it's been SO hot here, that I haven't been able to walk them or let them play outside for longer periods of time.

What can I do to nip this in the bud, and what are we doing wrong? Should I start where she has to earn everything again? Do I need to wear them out w/more exercise, especially in the evenings? (That seems to be the worse time for her fits)

I'm at my wit's end, and I'm afraid that this will only get worse... Sigh!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my. Didn't you have a trainer with Wally a while ago, a good one? Maybe it would be good to have some professional come and see what's going on with them???

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
This just makes me sad for all y'all :(

Only thing I can think of is keeping them separated and get your Trainer
back out with her. Hopefully, spaying will eliminate this issue.

I certainly will start prayers that all will get along...big hugs!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I'm sorry you are dealing with this too. Biscuit is the same way, one min fine the next attacking the other dogs for no good reason. They do nothing to her but they will fight back and it sometimes gets nasty. She even acts like she taunts them sometimes too and it is always attention based. So if I rub one dog she gets in their face and then goes after them. My boy dogs really don't react to her and my older girl usually ignores her but not always. The only thing to help is training and more training. I watch her queues, I call her away from the other dogs. I never leave the room with them together unattended. She goes in her crate if I can't watch them. It does suck because my other 3 get along great, she is the "baby" of the group. Totally a personality thing I think. She has gotten better as she has she got older, months 9-12 were the worst! She is 16 months now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
basically, she is going to have to ALWAYS earn everything for her life. She so much reminds me of Banks and how she did all this with Nitschke - attacked him for no reason ALL the time. There were times, not exaggerating, during her first year that we thought 'we can't handle her and she may have to be re-homed' -- that is when boot-camp happened, and then the vibrating collar came in at around age 18 months. She was BRUTAL. Up until the day she past... she had to earn everything.. furniture was invitation only and food was only when we told her she could go to the bowl. With that level of 'personality' you can not stop 'nothing in life is free' --- I always say Banks was a 9 year training session :D And, I would not change it for the world :drawheart:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Being that Willow was just in heat-her hormones are still "fluxuating". You also said that there has been alot going on,and if she is sensitive to things
she could also be feeling the stress at the house,and they are not getting normal exercise due to the heat-I know I am going stir crazy being in this house,as it too hot out there! There are collars called Comfort Zone, that are supposed to soothe them. You might give that a try! Just suggestions,as I luckily have never had this happen,just an occasional spat over a toy. If I ever gave them real antlers-I know there would be trouble!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my. Didn't you have a trainer with Wally a while ago, a good one? Maybe it would be good to have some professional come and see what's going on with them???

Yes I did... but that was for Wally's issues, and now he's doing much better. NO aggression towards Ray or anyone else... except IF you mess w/him too much. I may have to give her a call, she was expensive... Ugh!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry you are dealing with this too. Biscuit is the same way, one min fine the next attacking the other dogs for no good reason. They do nothing to her but they will fight back and it sometimes gets nasty. She even acts like she taunts them sometimes too and it is always attention based. So if I rub one dog she gets in their face and then goes after them. My boy dogs really don't react to her and my older girl usually ignores her but not always. The only thing to help is training and more training. I watch her queues, I call her away from the other dogs. I never leave the room with them together unattended. She goes in her crate if I can't watch them. It does suck because my other 3 get along great, she is the "baby" of the group. Totally a personality thing I think. She has gotten better as she has she got older, months 9-12 were the worst! She is 16 months now.

Oh I'm so sorry... is Biscuit spayed? I'm just curious if this changed anything...

What is weird, I just HAD Willow at our pet sitters for a week and the only one she got snippy w/was Walter. She was fine w/the other dog...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
basically, she is going to have to ALWAYS earn everything for her life. She so much reminds me of Banks and how she did all this with Nitschke - attacked him for no reason ALL the time. There were times, not exaggerating, during her first year that we thought 'we can't handle her and she may have to be re-homed' -- that is when boot-camp happened, and then the vibrating collar came in at around age 18 months. She was BRUTAL. Up until the day she past... she had to earn everything.. furniture was invitation only and food was only when we told her she could go to the bowl. With that level of 'personality' you can not stop 'nothing in life is free' --- I always say Banks was a 9 year training session :D And, I would not change it for the world :drawheart:

Yeah I'm afraid that you are right... I'm not going to be able to put my guard down w/her. I just don't get it, she just seemed to change virtually overnight. I have been slacking on their training because of our crazy summer schedule... it's time to amp things up.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
As most of you know, Willow was in heat and she just finished a couple of days ago... my plan is to have her spayed in Oct. We have had some issues w/her lashing out at Walter, but she seemed to be doing better at keeping herself under control. I have been on back to back trips that last couple of weeks, so it's been kinda crazy at the house...

Anyway, last night they BOTH got their new beds from K-9 Ballistics... BOY did she absolutely LOSE her mind. She started lashing out at him, and it turned into a full fledge fight... and Wally finally defended himself and she ended up w/a good mark on her face. I just don't understand it... she is SO mean to him :bitching: I can tell when it starts, she will walk around him w/her hackles up... almost like daring him to come near either me/Ray. We will purposely give Wally attention first and then pet/love on her IF she is able to control herself. Most of the time Wally just walks away, but not last night. She also has started peeing in the bathroom on the rugs (AND peed in her new bed last night... Grr). Last night I ended up picking her up and putting her in her crate, but she just kept barking and making me nuts. At night we put her in our bathroom w/the door closed, and Wally is laying by the bed on the floor (or in his new bed). Right now they are chewing antlers side by side, I just don't know what triggers her yet (besides the affection thing) and it's making me crazy. I also think it's boredom... it's been SO hot here, that I haven't been able to walk them or let them play outside for longer periods of time.

What can I do to nip this in the bud, and what are we doing wrong? Should I start where she has to earn everything again? Do I need to wear them out w/more exercise, especially in the evenings? (That seems to be the worse time for her fits)

Hi Tracey. I think Willow read Wally's manuscript..."How To Make My Mommy Crazy!" Maybe she is going to write her own book...How To Make My Mommy Crazy 2!"

Jewel and Bentley get into scraps daily usually over toys or affection. I always intervene or the wife does. Right now as I have posted Bentley is on injured reserve with the TPLO surgery...Week 11 Next Monday is last follow up...and both are in their crates at night. I can tell when it is about to happen and try to intervene beforehand. Jewel was spayed before her first heat so I do not know what to tell you. I try to tire the two out in the evening which sometimes works.

I hope all gets better not worse and be patient.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
She is not, my other dogs are all fixed. Funny thing is she actually mellows out while in heat. I think for her it is pure jealousy and fixing won't solve it much. With my other dogs I can just throw treats and they all share, if she is around I can't or it is bound to start a fight. (btw my other dogs are 2 pitbulls and a mutt) she is WAY smaller than them all lol.

I think it is all about the "home" dynamic. I took her to a dog show expecting the worst honestly and she could care less about the other dogs! Willow was ok because it wasn't her turf, if that makes sense. Plus she is assuming the alpha role (over Walter), you need to show her you are alpha. A few times I had to break up a fight and push Biscuit down, they say to hold them around the neck (not choking!) just enough to show dominance, do not let go until she relaxes completely and drops her head in submission. I've done this 2-3 times and it works. I also did this a long LONG time ago with my female pitbull who got into a fight at a dog park, she never did it again.

How old is she now?

Oh I'm so sorry... is Biscuit spayed? I'm just curious if this changed anything...

What is weird, I just HAD Willow at our pet sitters for a week and the only one she got snippy w/was Walter. She was fine w/the other dog...

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
@ddene I feel for you! Willow's hormones are definitely still out of whack since her heat cycle is just ending. I'm not sure about the aggression towards poor Walter, but the urinating inside can be due to hormones. Regina peed inside a few times during her heat almost as if it was nothing. Then once, a friend had just gotten a Frenchie puppy and brought it to meet the dogs -- Regina got jealous, hopped up on my bed and PEED ON MY MATTRESS looking straight at me. Little brat. The attitude subsided within a week and she was back to normal. It sounds like she's trying to be top dog and show Walter who's boss. Definitely not good, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of good suggestions on that front.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

https://www.cuteness.com/article/bipolar-disorders-dog

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She is not, my other dogs are all fixed. Funny thing is she actually mellows out while in heat. I think for her it is pure jealousy and fixing won't solve it much. With my other dogs I can just throw treats and they all share, if she is around I can't or it is bound to start a fight. (btw my other dogs are 2 pitbulls and a mutt) she is WAY smaller than them all lol.

I think it is all about the "home" dynamic. I took her to a dog show expecting the worst honestly and she could care less about the other dogs! Willow was ok because it wasn't her turf, if that makes sense. Plus she is assuming the alpha role (over Walter), you need to show her you are alpha. A few times I had to break up a fight and push Biscuit down, they say to hold them around the neck (not choking!) just enough to show dominance, do not let go until she relaxes completely and drops her head in submission. I've done this 2-3 times and it works. I also did this a long LONG time ago with my female pitbull who got into a fight at a dog park, she never did it again.

How old is she now?

She is almost 10 months... I agree w/you it's something to do w/the home dynamics.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddene I feel for you! Willow's hormones are definitely still out of whack since her heat cycle is just ending. I'm not sure about the aggression towards poor Walter, but the urinating inside can be due to hormones. Regina peed inside a few times during her heat almost as if it was nothing. Then once, a friend had just gotten a Frenchie puppy and brought it to meet the dogs -- Regina got jealous, hopped up on my bed and PEED ON MY MATTRESS looking straight at me. Little brat. The attitude subsided within a week and she was back to normal. It sounds like she's trying to be top dog and show Walter who's boss. Definitely not good, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of good suggestions on that front.

OH MY Regina... :eek: I swear Willow couldn't careless if we are mad at her or not... Lol These girls are little stinkers!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.