RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I just recently bought a book from a finnish dog trainer and I really like it. It has very different views from other trainers, but it all makes so much sence.
One thing....most people when they leave the house, they leave the dog some toys or chews or even toys with treats in them to have something to do. This trainer feels that it is more likely making them be more distructive. In the morning it's better that after their meal and a very short walk they just go back to sleep. Not ever really woken up properly. Then when you're home it's time for them to be active. If you want them to get tired, it's better to do the day before. But if you take a long walks in the morning, give them something to do while you're away, they most likely will go after something else in the house when they get tired of what you left them with.

Right now we're having a sleep school at our house. The pups are fed 3 times a day and before they just played like mad men right afterwards. Now I'm making them to go to sleep. No toys, no bones and no each other if they don't go to rest.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Makes sense to me... my dogs just sleep in their crates anyway.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] That is how I have done,when leaving the house-I'm a proper trainer(only with that;)) and didn't even know it! Sounds like a good book,and there are so many different trainer and methods, a "newbie" could go crazy! Until they are completely trustworthy-they were crated. But once they are,when I leave, I say "Be good,take a nap". I guess I lucked out!!!:rolleyes:

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Unfortunately his work has not been translated to english.

Is the book printed in English? If so, what is the name and author of the book? Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting.... right now, Lambeau and Cheli do this in the morning. Finish breakfast and go in on the couch and back to sleep. Lambeau a few times has gone back up to the bedroom. Wonder if it is part instinct for them to sleep after eating.
Cheli some morning does want to play, but mostly just wants to lay on the couch

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala wants and would play all day long. When I leave she goes in her crate on her own till I come back. Thank god she's not destructive. She basically follows the flow.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Lucky for us Harlea has always been a napper after meals. Part of that was due to my concerns about bloat after eating if she were to play right away so we have always fed her in her crate and she naps afterwards for about an hour. When we ate gone for short periods she naps on the couch but for longer periods she hangs out in her play pen.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Interesting! Without knowing it I have followed this - Castor never has toys or bones when we leave him, and he usually go back to sleep right after breakfast. He is not at all destructive but I have been afraid of leaving him alone with toys if he would choke on them. So from the day we started leaving him alone at him, we have made sure there is nothing fun going on in the house. The way you describe it really makes sense. Was the book published in Finnish only or available in Swedish too?

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
His has a lot of ideas that are a bit different from some, but when you you really think they, make a lot of sence. His name is Pertti Vilander and he's been training dogs and their owners from 1962....but i don't know if his books have been bublished in any other language than finnish...
My two rascals would just go at it at what ever time.... Just today we went shopping for 1,5 hours and when we came back the whole roome where they stay was a mess. They were just out of control...They have no sence to stop...

Interesting! Without knowing it I have followed this - Castor never has toys or bones when we leave him, and he usually go back to sleep right after breakfast. He is not at all destructive but I have been afraid of leaving him alone with toys if he would choke on them. So from the day we started leaving him alone at him, we have made sure there is nothing fun going on in the house. The way you describe it really makes sense. Was the book published in Finnish only or available in Swedish too?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
His has a lot of ideas that are a bit different from some, but when you you really think they, make a lot of sence. His name is Pertti Vilander and he's been training dogs and their owners from 1962....but i don't know if his books have been bublished in any other language than finnish...
My two rascals would just go at it at what ever time.... Just today we went shopping for 1,5 hours and when we came back the whole roome where they stay was a mess. They were just out of control...They have no sence to stop...

Thanks; checked and only one of his books - about agility - was translated into Swedish. I bet the babies had a good time when you were away - can you ask Voitto to babysit them?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, ours sleep in their crates when we are gone. When we have pups, we will feed them, then they get a time out to rest, then play after a short nap. We don't want them to play on full tummies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.