Rescue gets all over me on the couch

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
Hey everyone! Hobbs is settling well into his new home but whenever I am on the couch he is always right on me and climbs all over me unless I start petting him. I can't sit and enjoy tv or work with my laptop. I know he's only been in his new home for 5 days but what can I do so that he realizes that it isn't ok? I'll pick him up and put him on the floor but he then climbs up on my legs and then eventually finds his way on the couch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=13714]RJ Abella[/MENTION] Hi there! Does Hobbs have a "favorite" toy? Bone, antler? Something special? Here's what I did with Joey and it worked great (she is just over a year old) First, she has a bed in the TV room. I learned early on that if I wanted to relax and watch TV that there was an "all done" time where all of the toys, antlers, etc get put away, no stimulation and Joey was fast asleep at a decent time, 8pm or so. She loves her antler (switching to new type for safety-that's another story) so, right after she eats dinner, and during the early evening she is "allowed" to have her antler. BUT I say "get on your bed" and she knows that is where she MUST be in order to have her antler. It only took about a week of this and she got it. Hope this helps :)

OP
R

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
@RJ Abella Hi there! Does Hobbs have a "favorite" toy? Bone, antler? Something special? Here's what I did with Joey and it worked great (she is just over a year old) First, she has a bed in the TV room. I learned early on that if I wanted to relax and watch TV that there was an "all done" time where all of the toys, antlers, etc get put away, no stimulation and Joey was fast asleep at a decent time, 8pm or so. She loves her antler (switching to new type for safety-that's another story) so, right after she eats dinner, and during the early evening she is "allowed" to have her antler. BUT I say "get on your bed" and she knows that is where she MUST be in order to have her antler. It only took about a week of this and she got it. Hope this helps :)

Unfortunately Hobbs isn't really into toys, I'm still trying to search for one he plays with. However, I don't have a separate bed for him other than his crate pad in his crate. His foster says he sleeps in his crate at night and was in there when she went to work which is what I do. Maybe I'll get a Coolaroo bed for when he's out of his crate and I will see if a bully friendly antler can do the trick. He also doesn't seem to be too interested or woo'd with food or treats. I probably just need to keep experimenting and trying out different treats and toys. Thank you!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bullies love their humans, and some more than others. He is a rescue and might be a little insecure right now. When he gets up and climbs in your lap, just tell him no, and sit him beside you. He should settle down after awhile, but it may take some time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bullies love their humans, and some more than others. He is a rescue and might be a little insecure right now. When he gets up and climbs in your lap, just tell him no, and sit him beside you. He should settle down after awhile, but it may take some time.

Agreed, you'll need to teach him what is acceptable but it may take a few weeks for him to settle in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
5 days? Awwwwww come on......just a baby. Big house, new parents, new food, new toys....baby is just insecured and trying to absorb it all. Like a child, dont push them away as them first few months of your puppy is the bonding time. (Years for children) it's play, cuddle, treats, petting time dear im sure you dont want a potato couch for a bully. Get on you laptop when da baby is sleeping :yes: Enjoy while it last!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Little sweet heart. I gotta say I do need my space at times so good to set some boundaries just with lots and lots of love. I get on the ground and snuggle my boy so he thinks the ground is great 'too'. Still gets goofie when on the couch with me, but settles pretty quick. .... AND... I wanted to ask about the 'antler' situation... Hank loves his but wonder what your saying about "bully friendly' antler?? and, He has the coolaroo... The first almost two weeks he thought nothing of it. Then all of a sudden, he LOVES it . takes his toys to it, sticks his head under it, rolls around on it. pounces on it like a trampoline,,, all kinds of stuff as well as rest on it ;)

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hmmm I hope this does not sound wrong it is not meant to BE !
I have never seen a bulldog that does not do what you are describing , agreed there are limitations to what any dog is ok to do but these guys think you are the cats Poop RJ , your it man and yours is a rescue so maybe even more thankful to you for what you have done so double the love the dog is showing . These guys are at the top of the affection graph on any write up about the breed , by the sounds of yours you got a keeper lol , not all rescues come with what you have and a lot of work must be done to get them to the point your already at .
It is early days for you guys he or she will settle down in time just take your time , there kids that never grow up think of it that way .

Most Reactions