Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Who's the boss?! Made an executive decision, cut rug in half and added to her crate.
Izzy 1 x 0 Michelle

20160613_213737.jpg

Well @IzzysMom I have been on this earth a long time. First of all, pick up your man's rug (or buy him a new one.) I have totally adjusted my house for dogs.
I don't care about nice things anymore,like I did when I was young. After losing my husband-"stuff" just didn't seem that important/just surviving. Buy rugs that are not comfortable,or pick them up,Since bullies can be very stubborn, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and make some kind of adjustment instead of getting upset.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I don't see the harm. Bullies have some quirks and this one wouldn't bother me much. Maybe buy one of the type she likes so much and put it in her crate. You can also always use a cheaper rug for every day use and keep a nice one to put out when you have guest. My house used to be spotless and then I had bullies and kids. They became more important to me than really nice things all the time. I have good stuff for when we are having events or guest over so everyone is happy here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Why not just keep bathroom door closed and/or not allow dog in the bathroom? Our guy is trained, he does not go in our bedroom/bathroom as he is not allowed and he knows it. The cat box is in the bathroom that has no door and is part of our bedroom and we don't want him messing in it or anything else. Sometimes he'll saunter in if I'm in there and that's fine but otherwise he stays out.

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
My bulldogs won't step over mini "fences" so I have short little wire shelves ("L" shaped, about 6 or 7 inches high) I repurposed & use in front of a couple doorways/areas that I easily step over but they won't, when I want to keep them in/out of a certain area of my home. If you have kids or other people over all the time though, they could potentially be hazardous if you're not aware of them but they work for my lifestyle & I'm used to stepping over them. You can of course get higher baby/dog gates but I found those are annoying to move. Personally, I like it better than shutting doors to those rooms too, since I don't have central AC/heat. You could also try using double sided tape in spots for a week or so on the rug (not a ton where they actually stick to the carpet- just so it feels tacky in some spots), which is a deterrent for most pets - for example put it down along the sides, or maybe in a big X. Aluminum foil is also a deterrent but like the tape, once it's gone, she might go back to using it though :tongue: In terms of the healthiest type of training goes though, it's best to replace unwanted behavior with something positive they want more, so if you also have a super cozy bed somewhere close that might help as well. Or they have those wooden bead bathroom rugs & I'm guessing she might not want to make a bed with one of those!:excited:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Our bullies are not allowed in our bathrooms...or anyone else's. There's too much stuff to get into. Trash can with who knows what in it, toilet drinking, toilet paper on the roll(and down the hall...weeee!), and the bath mats.
We stopped their access once we found out both Dozer and Smedley loved bath mats & TP. We bought them several cheapo mats (without the rubber backing) from TJ Max and gave them to them. Dozer would chew/suck his like crazy. Smedley would just bunch his up and snuggle with it. Both of those guys are gone now but we still keep bath mats handy for use under the crates and inside the crates. They work great and last far longer than the more expensive beds.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Great idea! I wish I had thought of using those wire shelves when Jersey was a pup! I tried unsuccessfully to keep her from going up two flights of stairs with dog gates and she pushed it down in no time flat. I tried it all, tape, sprays, nothing worked. The problem was she could go up stairs but not down. One day I took her out for a walk and there was a garden hose laying across the sidewalk. She stopped and started barking at it. A lot. But she wouldn't walk over it. Long story short, I discovered that a piece of garden hose on the second stair from the bottom (slightly above her eye level, nailed to the tread) kept her from going upstairs. No barking at the hose and no stairs. Strange but whatever works! Lol!

My bulldogs won't step over mini "fences" so I have short little wire shelves ("L" shaped, about 6 or 7 inches high) I repurposed & use in front of a couple doorways/areas that I easily step over but they won't, when I want to keep them in/out of a certain area of my home. If you have kids or other people over all the time though, they could potentially be hazardous if you're not aware of them but they work for my lifestyle & I'm used to stepping over them. You can of course get higher baby/dog gates but I found those are annoying to move. Personally, I like it better than shutting doors to those rooms too, since I don't have central AC/heat. You could also try using double sided tape in spots for a week or so on the rug (not a ton where they actually stick to the carpet- just so it feels tacky in some spots), which is a deterrent for most pets - for example put it down along the sides, or maybe in a big X. Aluminum foil is also a deterrent but like the tape, once it's gone, she might go back to using it though :tongue: In terms of the healthiest type of training goes though, it's best to replace unwanted behavior with something positive they want more, so if you also have a super cozy bed somewhere close that might help as well. Or they have those wooden bead bathroom rugs & I'm guessing she might not want to make a bed with one of those!:excited:

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Great story too! I do that with my couch.... add a broom so she won't go on it. I love Izzy to death but I don't want a dog to run my household. Izzy plays a lot outside and it's not always super clean, plus she always leaves some brown spots if I let in my bed. As much as I clean her tail, wipe her paws she will eventually turn my white sheets brown!

Also she has a bad habit.... since she was a puppy her anal glands will leak out of nowhere (even when vet says they are okay). She will leak a tiny apot and then she will lick the area over and over. So I come home to a wet sofa! So I needed to create boundaries with my baby.

The rug issue was that she claw it so hard that I had white rug fiber all over my house and carpet... she would carry in her paws! It was not a matter of just rearranging the rug. Anyways... rug is gone. Once I put in her crate she pee on it... back to no rug in my bathroom.... battle is over!

Great idea! I wish I had thought of using those wire shelves when Jersey was a pup! I tried unsuccessfully to keep her from going up two flights of stairs with dog gates and she pushed it down in no time flat. I tried it all, tape, sprays, nothing worked. The problem was she could go up stairs but not down. One day I took her out for a walk and there was a garden hose laying across the sidewalk. She stopped and started barking at it. A lot. But she wouldn't walk over it. Long story short, I discovered that a piece of garden hose on the second stair from the bottom (slightly above her eye level, nailed to the tread) kept her from going upstairs. No barking at the hose and no stairs. Strange but whatever works! Lol!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Keeping bedroom and bathroom off limits is a great idea. Only problem w me is that I live in a 1200 sq ft apt... not much room once I take bedroom and bathroom out! Izzy is funny, I will close my bedroom door but once I get home and open that door she acts likes the bedroom is hers... and will even give me the stinky eye of "how dare you keep me locked out of MY bedroom!"!
Why not just keep bathroom door closed and/or not allow dog in the bathroom? Our guy is trained, he does not go in our bedroom/bathroom as he is not allowed and he knows it. The cat box is in the bathroom that has no door and is part of our bedroom and we don't want him messing in it or anything else. Sometimes he'll saunter in if I'm in there and that's fine but otherwise he stays out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.