Help addressing a behaviour

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I need some guidance on how to address Izzy's action to nest on my bathroom rug. I usually close the doors to my bedroom and bathroom but when open Izzy will make a nest of my beautiful white bathroom rug to the point that all the fiber is now coming out because of her claws.

I am not sure how to address this because by the time i get home she is no longer sleeping there and had moved on to other parts of the house. Last week Izzy destroyed my fiance bathroom rug doing the same thing... I had a hard time explaining I couldn't punish her since she was not caught on action.

If I reprimand by pointing to the rug will she get it? I really need her to stop destroying bathroom rugs!

:( Help!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
GULP… this is a hard one, because Willow is doing the same thing in my bathroom. She balls us the rug between her paws, and is NOW starting to suckle on it :facepalm2: Besides putting them UP I'm not sure what to do… Lol

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
She suckles on them too? lol too cute!

Problem here is that in 6 months im moving in with my fiance and I dont want Izzy's bad behavious to become a problem for us. I love her too much and I know I should be more strict with her. She pushes our limits because she knows she can, she is stubborn too... if we tell her no... she moves away and 10 seconds she tries again. I should call her Dori from Nemo! short term memory!
GULP… this is a hard one, because Willow is doing the same thing in my bathroom. She balls us the rug between her paws, and is NOW starting to suckle on it :facepalm2: Besides putting them UP I'm not sure what to do… Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well @IzzysMom I have been on this earth a long time. First of all, pick up your man's rug (or buy him a new one.) I have totally adjusted my house for dogs.
I don't care about nice things anymore,like I did when I was young. After losing my husband-"stuff" just didn't seem that important/just surviving. Buy rugs that are not comfortable,or pick them up,Since bullies can be very stubborn, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and make some kind of adjustment instead of getting upset.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guys are the same way --- LOVE nesting the bathroom rugs, I gave up on nice ones a long time ago cause all my babies love to did/do this.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I hear you... usually I dont mind but was wondering if there was a way to address this. It seems I am not alone on this boat.

Well @IzzysMom I have been on this earth a long time. First of all, pick up your man's rug (or buy him a new one.) I have totally adjusted my house for dogs.
I don't care about nice things anymore,like I did when I was young. After losing my husband-"stuff" just didn't seem that important/just surviving. Buy rugs that are not comfortable,or pick them up,Since bullies can be very stubborn, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and make some kind of adjustment instead of getting upset.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I get this, but problem is when it happens at someone else's place. So I was hoping we could start addressing the situation. My bathroom rug is gone... destroyed... not worried at this point.

Or you could close off the bathroom while you are not home.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=6190]Izzy's Mom[/MENTION] Just a thought...Have you ever seen those mats that emit a piercing whistle when stepped or sat on? People put them on couches, chairs, cribs, what ever to train dogs to keep off. Maybe one of those UNDER your bath mat when you are gone? Just don't forget its there and step out of the shower...YIKES

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Never heard of but will look for it online right now! Thanks for the idea!

@Izzy's Mom Just a thought...Have you ever seen those mats that emit a piercing whistle when stepped or sat on? People put them on couches, chairs, cribs, what ever to train dogs to keep off. Maybe one of those UNDER your bath mat when you are gone? Just don't forget its there and step out of the shower...YIKES

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
All My guys do this to me it is not Bulldog specific , and from all I have ever seen all there doing is making it more comfortable for themselves . I put old towels down even in there beds , they can do what they want to them and there very washable . Even Nelli who has only one front leg does it , she works a bit harder at it but she still does it . I think it is natural to want to sleep on something comfortable.
I would be careful of anything that scares the dog away you might be starting a new problem

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Very true, I remember my parents dogs also making a nest to sleep in. Izzy is strong and her nest making turns into rug fiber all over the house! Even my door mat has residue from my rug because I step on it and carry everywhere. I think I am going to cut this rug and fit inside her crate... buy a new less fluffy bathroom rug.

All My guys do this to me it is not Bulldog specific , and from all I have ever seen all there doing is making it more comfortable for themselves . I put old towels down even in there beds , they can do what they want to them and there very washable . Even Nelli who has only one front leg does it , she works a bit harder at it but she still does it . I think it is natural to want to sleep on something comfortable.
I would be careful of anything that scares the dog away you might be starting a new problem

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think that some carpets are just irresistible for dogs - may be texture, or smell...my boy also did this to bathroom rags and we had to remove them. He started with peeing on them when he was small and later just turned them into ball of fluff with his claws. At the same time we have couple of other floor rags or mats he doesn't really care about, just lays nicely.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Agreed with the others, Murray likes to do this too and this is why I close off the bathroom and also took away the mat underneath my kitchen sink. Ever since then no issues :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.