Bulldog goes nuts every night !

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Munson has just turned one and has been neutered. Every night he gets wired up and will race around the house like lightning, dive into his crate and toss around his pillow, and use the furniture like a gymnast. Usually I give him a bowl of ice cubes to try and calm him down;sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. He is super sweet and is very friendly. Is this behavior normal? Is he letting off steam ?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Normal youngster behaviour. Too much energy. How much do you take him for walks or train him in other ways?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Munson has just turned one and has been neutered. Every night he gets wired up and will race around the house like lightning, dive into his crate and toss around his pillow, and use the furniture like a gymnast. Usually I give him a bowl of ice cubes to try and calm him down;sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. He is super sweet and is very friendly. Is this behavior normal? Is he letting off steam ?

Hi it is normal. How long is he home during the day? What helps is to take him for a long walk in the evening or let him run around after a ball in the backyard, or tire him out by playing tug of war or with a ball in the house to tire him out, and then he will settle down and sleep.

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Yup
My old bulldog would think it was play time when he jumped on the bed at night.

Now my newest one does the same thing. He uses the bed as a trampoline, lol

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
My guy is 3...and he does this nightly! I've noticed a huge improvement in the last 2 weeks now that I walk him twice a day! My dogs are home for about 7 hours by themselves most weekdays. All they do is sleep. By dinnertime, our house turns into a circus! I take them for a quick 15 minute walk around the block when we get up (Sgt. isn't a huge fan of being woken up at 5 am but he's happy once he's walking), then I take them again for 45 minutes or so either as soon as I get home unless it's too humid...then I'll wait until dinnertime. They still get a little rowdy, but nothing like if they don't get walked.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15958]Helicoptermom[/MENTION] Oh yes, that is totally normal! My dogs have outgrown it now, but morning and night(twice a day) they would get the "zoomies". When I had my sister's pup here-there were four of them with the zoomies! You just had to stay out of the way until they got tired!! I miss that,actually!:D:yes:

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
We should definitely take him on more walks. It is just hard in the summer with the humidity so high. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, good to know!

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
I will certainly try to start doing that. Let me ask you something else. Do you crate your dogs during the day when you are gone? If not, how old were they when you stopped crating during the day?

- - - Updated - - -

Glad mine is not the only one!

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
We do play tug of war with him at night but not enough I guess. Either me or my husband is with him during the day, but he does like to sleep!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Normal.... I call it 'spaz attack'

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.