Thunderstorms!!!!

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
So I've had Zeus for 3 weeks now. So far all is well except for a few issues.
So far the biggest issues are defecating in the house when left alone. I'm working on that.
But I'm kinda lost about this one. He really freaks out over certain loud noises. Mostly thunderstorms and fireworks.

I was taking a nap today on the couch. He was in his little doggie bed. Next thing I know he is laying on my chest shaking like crazy. Last week it stormed all night and he was shaking so hard he was vibrating the entire bed. Same goes for fireworks.
It's kinda weird, my neighbor has an extremely loud motorcycle, Zeus could care less. Also he he doesn't even flinch when I cut grass or use the weed whacker. But as soon as I grab the hose he takes off.

On a side note he finally got his shots. He was a perfect gentleman at the vet. Even hopped right up onto the scale. I never had a dog that did that, lol.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some do get nervous when it thunders. We try to stay calm, and sometimes will turn the TV up some and that helps. Also if mine bark when it thunders I will tell them NO, and they eventually get it and ignore the noise. Some people use thunder shirts, and I have heard they really help.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I was going to suggest the thundershirt. I would definitely get one if your dog gets that upset with storms. [MENTION=15899]Slappy[/MENTION]

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel and Bentley lately have been freaked out by thunder and last year we were outside and the neighbors shot off fireworks. Jewel and Bentley both high-tailed it to the back porch wanting to go in. We had to stay up watching TV. Thunderstorms do the same thing here recently as well. When I know we are going to be on the receiving edge of inclement weather (i.e. thunder), I give them both a treat called Vetri-Science Composure. It seemed to work because they did not seem to be on edge as much with the clap of thunder.

There is a product called Adaptil that is a spray and plug-in that we found our vet used in the exam rooms to help calm down their clients/patients. We have used the on Bentley's bedding to help calm him after his surgery. I guess he did not like the smell because he wadded up his bedding and laid on a towel that did not have the spray on it. I guess it smelled like the vets office and he did not want to have any part of that. We also have the plug-in. The Adaptil plug-in is pricey (the product is pricey) which we have not tried but will at the onset of bad weather (i.e. thunderstorms).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jewel and Bentley lately have been freaked out by thunder and last year we were outside and the neighbors shot off fireworks. Jewel and Bentley both high-tailed it to the back porch wanting to go in. We had to stay up watching TV. Thunderstorms do the same thing here recently as well. When I know we are going to be on the receiving edge of inclement weather (i.e. thunder), I give them both a treat called Vetri-Science Composure. It seemed to work because they did not seem to be on edge as much with the clap of thunder.

There is a product called Adaptil that is a spray and plug-in that we found our vet used in the exam rooms to help calm down their clients/patients. We have used the on Bentley's bedding to help calm him after his surgery. I guess he did not like the smell because he wadded up his bedding and laid on a towel that did not have the spray on it. I guess it smelled like the vets office and he did not want to have any part of that. We also have the plug-in. The Adaptil plug-in is pricey (the product is pricey) which we have not tried but will at the onset of bad weather (i.e. thunderstorms).

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have been fortunate and never had a dog bothered by thunderstorms. But my daughter used the Thundershirt with her dog and had great results.

OP
S

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thanks.
I thought about the thunder shirt but I heard they were garbage. I'll have to do some more research on it. I'll try anything at this point
image.jpeg

Most Reactions