Aggression/protections issues

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My 6 yr old bully has had anxiety since I got her two years ago. She gets very anxious around kids. Previously, she got too protective of her crate and I took it away. Now she's protective of her bed and toys. She doesn't growl at me or typically people. She will get aggressive with other dogs that come around her "stuff". I recently had back surgery and had to stay at my moms so we moved the bed and her to the room I'm staying in. Well now when my mom knocks and comes in the room she is barking and growling..... She did this with my step dad as well. Also when I force her out of the room she runs back to the door to try and get back to her bed..... I don't want her behavior to continue to escalate. Any thoughts?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have no real experience with what you are going through with Porky but I am guessing she has separation anxiety due to what her first 4 years were like and you're the only person she believes she can count on right now. Maybe it would help if others tried paying her attention and gave her treats or played with her so she feels like they are part of her family also. I really have no idea but hope for you and her she gets over her anxiety. Have you talked to a vet or trainer?

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Perhaps a dog behaviorist? or trainer? Aggression issues are best left to the experienced.

OP
J

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
I have no real experience with what you are going through with Porky but I am guessing she has separation anxiety due to what her first 4 years were like and you're the only person she believes she can count on right now. Maybe it would help if others tried paying her attention and gave her treats or played with her so she feels like they are part of her family also. I really have no idea but hope for you and her she gets over her anxiety. Have you talked to a vet or trainer?

She regularly goes to the vet and I had her checked out. Pretty much the consensus is she has bad anxiety. SHe gets very nervous around kids and has jumped at and snipped toward my nieces before but she seemed to have improved a bit lately with that.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would get a trainer involved ASAP, but for now since you had surgery (and staying w/family) when she acts inappropriately I would immediately put her in a time-out. A crate is best, but you could also confine her to a room when she can calm down… does she have an area where she can hide when she's getting anxious?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My 6 yr old bully has had anxiety since I got her two years ago. She gets very anxious around kids. Previously, she got too protective of her crate and I took it away. Now she's protective of her bed and toys. She doesn't growl at me or typically people. She will get aggressive with other dogs that come around her "stuff". I recently had back surgery and had to stay at my moms so we moved the bed and her to the room I'm staying in. Well now when my mom knocks and comes in the room she is barking and growling..... She did this with my step dad as well. Also when I force her out of the room she runs back to the door to try and get back to her bed..... I don't want her behavior to continue to escalate. Any thoughts?

First -- for you, positive thoughts for a quick recovery on your back surgery. Now, Porky --- from what you describe it seems to me that she is insecure and needs leadership, she is protecting her 'resources' and that can escalate quickly. You need to start using 'nothing in life is free' (if you are not) and get a trainer to come into the home to help you correct the issues.

best of luck and please keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.