10 week old puppy pooping in crate then stepping in it and smearing!

Beaumom

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Help! My pup is not happy when left in crate at all. He usually poops even if he had been out right before. We had the crate blocked off so that he just had a small space but he would step in it and get it all over him and his crate sides and door (very hard to clean) so we opened up the whole crate so that maybe at least he wouldn't get it all over him and that worked a couple of times but last night we left him for a couple hours and we come home to 2 poops and it smeared everywhere. ...we are thinking separation anxiety...we are at our wits end....so bad he has to have bath and crate taken outside and hosed down....we are on summer break from school and if we don't get this fixed before school starts back I really don't know how we can deal with this...HELP!

Attachments

• 20160520_084326.jpg
    20160520_084326.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 876

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

First of all this is extremely normal behavior, bulldogs are notoriously hard to potty train… my 7 mos old female has started peeing in the house AGAIN!!! I do not believe this is separation anxiety, this is something that he will control better as he gets a little older. My rule of thumb when they are that little is to take them out every couple of hours consistently (yes during the night) and praise him like CRAZY when he goes… he will eventually get it, and realize that he's supposed to go potty outside. I would give him space in his crate so he doesn't get a bath several times a day. I had a large crated area when my dogs were small so they had an area to sleep, drink water and go potty if I was going to be gone for more that a couple of hours.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
First, beautiful baby. Second, I have that same pillow and Canelo has been trying to eat it for years, sofar he's gotten a foot and the nose, lol. We had the same potty issue with Canelo and I was so frustrated with him. We kenneled him each morning after taking him outside he pee, and he would poo twice. My niece would come by at lunch and walk him again, then put him back in his kennel. Then the first one home from work would take him out again, then again after he ate and before bed. He still messed in his kennel. I kid you not, we would just come back in from a potty trip and he could be playing, running around, chasing Lola and he would just stop, start peeing and he would look at me the entire time he was going. I had him on my lap one night and he just started peeing, peed on my lap coming home from the vet, I was frustrated. All of this happened while he was under 4 months old, at 4 months things got better.

I point out his age because I've seen others have issues and I point out how he would stop, pee and look at me. It was like the urge suddenly hit him, he'd start going and he couldn't control it. He knew he shouldn't be peeing there but he couldn't stop. We had to hose Canelo down and his kennel for a few weeks. Nothing like coming home and dreading what you are going to find and yes he would roll all in it. I started keeping plastic gloves around and took his bedding out of the kennel and would leave an old, folded towel in it. Also if he peed or pooed in the house or kennel and we were there, we would tell him no, put him on his leash and take him outside. I spent a lot of time outside that summer but it was worth it. After four months old he changed drastically, didn't even want to touch his poo. Be patient, and keep doing what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Beaumom

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Thank you....we will keep trying! We don't have bulldog puppy experience. ..only senior bulldog experience. ..we rescued a 4 yr old precious girl and had her until she was 12 and she passed ...we were all heartbroken....this is definitely a totally different experience!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I had the same problem with Penny. We got her at 12 weeks. She was used to a raised kennel and popping wherever she wanted.
Same frustrations- would take her out, in the morning, come home to a poopy puppy and kennel.
I woke up at 2 am everyday day to take her out also. And still sometimes wake up to a poopy kennel! It's no fun having to bathe your puppy and clean a kennel at 4:30 am!

It was just patience, consistency, and if your like me- lots of tears. Lol. But eventually (about 2 month) she just got it. And wouldn't poop in her kennel anymore. She just turned 1 and he last poopy kennel was in early Nov, right before she was spayed.
I feel your pain - just hang in there and he will eventually get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
First off ADORABLE!! Second. We had similar problems at that age. We ended up taking Frith back to square one. Clean bed and papered area, slowly reducing the papered area. Also had to bleach and clean all smell from the kennel, so it only smelled like clean dog bed. She had to relearn what was clean and how nice it is.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Hahahahahaa, sorry... But I feel your pain.... Vader was pretty easy to train.. One or two incidents and a stern talking to was all it took. Reya, not so much. Pleading, begging, rewarding, stern talking to... Nothing really seemed to work.. Than one day out of the blue.. She got it.
They are 7 and 6 months old and she started to get better at 5 months.. She still seems to find a way to step in it outside while potting. But the peeing inside has stopped. So I am taking what I can get and living with the stepping in. She is getting a bit better on not stepping in it. Neither one would poop in the house and step in it. Reya was more of a pee girl. pee anywhere, anytime. The other day as I was getting them ready to go outside, Vader was taking too long and she ran over and pee'd in the pee pad that is contained with a tray.. I was so happy I could have cried..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.