Defecating in house...

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
So I rescued this English bully a week ago. After a rough few days at the emergency vet everything seems to be going great. Except for when he is left alone in the house he defecates. It seems to be instant. I left the other day for 25 minutes and come home to a surprise on the floor. I have left him alone 3 times and each time he has done it. I make sure I take him out before I leave and he always relieves himself. He doesn't seem to urinate in the house.

I called the vet, she told me it's probably separation anxiety. But he doesn't throw a fit when I leave. He never barks, in fact I haven't heard him bark yet, and he doesn't really tear anything up. He knocks the garbage can over even when it's empty. But he does that when I'm home too, lol.

Now he does, or did have worms really bad. I did a dewormer for 3 days and it seems to be cleared up. I have fostered many dogs, never had to deal with worms. That was really nasty, lol.

So what do you think?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would bring him to the vet with a poop sample. Like that you will get the proper medicine and get that over with. Another thing I NEVER allowed any of my dogs ive owned is stop to smell other's dog poop from lazy owners that didn't pick up or sitting out there. If you go to dog parks.....eeeeeeeeeeeh. I leave Nyala on a 8 foot leather leash if I go to a park. But that's me. Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bullies have their own ways of coping with things-especially life changes. This may stop after awhile,after he settles in, and finds out he is staying. OR you could get him a crate, and crate him when you leave him alone.
It will take at least a month for him to settle in,and get used to everything new.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It is probably separation anxiety since he only does it when you leave...

Do you leave him to roam the whole house? If so you could try to confide him to one room or his crate if he's crate trained... sometimes it feels safer for them not having a huge space to handle. You can try to "fake leave" for just a couple of minutes now and then so he sees you're coming back. If you're only away for a short time he will probably not have time to poop:blush2: and he'll realize he won't have to stress.

Thank you for rescuing <3

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I agree with the others, double make sure the worms are gone and then make him his very own safe space where he can go if your home or not, it'll take some patience but I'm confident that you (who chose to rescue) have the skills to see him over this stress pooping ... Which is a thing.
Good luck

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I have read a few things about separation anxiety--our mini schnauzer had a few problems with it. Bulldogs may be different in how they act out, but defecating in the house is acting out. Our schnauzer would just make a pile of everyone's underclothing in the middle of the living room.

Everything I read said exercise its the key--exercise the dog just before you leave. I didn't understand this at first, but it worked. So we do it. We play with both dogs before we leave the house. Strangely--Ceasar (haven't used his training methods before) explains this very well.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/anxiety/cesar-on-separation-anxiety

The video I was looking for went through a series of short training exercises with the dog after exercising. Basically walk or play with your dog. Then leave the house for about a minute, and come back--give a treat. Do this repeatedly until the dog displays no stress about you leaving. Then begin to lengthen the time. The video suggested both days of a weekend depending upon the dog and anxiety level.

Remember that even if a dog is free roaming and okay with it--you life stress can be picked up by your buddy. We know when the schnauzer is stressed, because underwear starts appearing in the livingroom. Frith still isn't old enough to be left to free-roam, but since she is kenneled when we leave--her signs of stress involve retreating to her kennel.

I think it takes a while to learn your dog's silent language, and each dog is different. Good luck!

OP
S

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thanks everyone.
How do you exercise your bully? I tried to take him for a walk and in about a half a block he lays down.

He's a happy little pup but he isn't playful at all. I asked the vet about his energy level, they did every possible blood test and said everything was perfect. I made them X-ray his entire body when I got him because he couldn't walk. Again all was well.

He is just very laid back. He doesn't make a fuss when someone comes over the house. He could care less when another dog from the neighbor hood walks by. I had bunch of baby rabbits in the yard. He went over to the nest, gave it a sniff and left it alone.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thanks everyone.
How do you exercise your bully? I tried to take him for a walk and in about a half a block he lays down.

He's a happy little pup but he isn't playful at all. I asked the vet about his energy level, they did every possible blood test and said everything was perfect. I made them X-ray his entire body when I got him because he couldn't walk. Again all was well.

He is just very laid back. He doesn't make a fuss when someone comes over the house. He could care less when another dog from the neighbor hood walks by. I had bunch of baby rabbits in the yard. He went over to the nest, gave it a sniff and left it alone.

I've wondered this too many times, my bulldogs are also very laid back, they do love walks though... but I can only get them to play if THEY are in play mood, if not they just look at me like I'm crazy when I try to get them going.

I guess it doesn't always have to be physical exercise, mental exercise is great too. There are many toys that provides that, but most you have to monitor your bulldog while they're playing with them. Maybe he'd like something like that:)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Do you have a kennel for him? Canelo has a kennel and he stays in the kennel at night, not because of accidents but he started rooting through the pantry. Not kidding. When he has an accident in the house, he has to stay in his kennel when we go out next trip. Now here is the why, I have watched Canelo go outside and instead of doing his bizz, he gets on his patio couch and goes to sleep, or he goes and lays in the yard, I call it working on his tan. He is so spoiled, but, even when he is outside for a while he doesn't always do his bizz. He knows, so if he messes in the house, he has to stay in his kennel when we go out again.

Did I mention he is spoiled? His kennel has a cushy dog bed in it with head rest and all so he's very comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I do not have a kennel, I'm actually going to pick one up today.

I just hate crating a dog when I'm not home. I dunno why, I just feel bad I guess.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone.

agree with the gang.... crate him till he is settle in... the crate can be a safe place for them when they are not fully adjusted. As for exercise, the half block walk my be just enough for him -- so need less and other needs a lot more just need to find that balance.

thank you for rescuing!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.