ChunkButt681

May 18, 2016
Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Hi everyone! We have our 10 month old bulldog, Chunk. We are fairly active in the mx life but Chunk doesn't seem to like dirtbikes so much. He's been exposed to them a few times & each time he gets real whiny, barks at the bikes as if to attack them & throws his body towards them. We always bring his room (aka a crate) & will put him in it whenever he gets too stimulated with the bikes, which he doesn't mind & just goes to sleep. We are going on a 3 day riding trip & would like him join since he is part of the family but are concerned about just making things worse for him. Not really sure if this is one of those situations where constant exposure would make things better. Thinking about talking to the vet for some calming meds as a last resort. We have tried a thundershirt but that doesn't seem to do anything. We have a 4mth old Bernese Mountain Dog & she has no issue with the dirtbikes & there are other bulldogs at the track that seem to be content. No anxiety issues or aggression issues with him in any other areas. Just seems to be the dirtbikes that send him over the edge. Any suggestions or words of advice would be greatly appreciated! Would like to be able to calm our handsome boy so he can enjoy family outings when dirtbikes are involved.

Attached is a picture of him & his sister @ the track & a picture of him just being his silly bulldog self

Attachments

• 20160520_195046.jpg
    20160520_195046.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 126
  • 20160421_233643.jpg
    20160421_233643.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I ride a harley which is kinda noisy like all HD but im not a big fan of loud pipes. They are loud enough as they are but didnt sup them up. Anyway over a month ago Nyala's first time hearing the bike running, I let her stand outside the garage at first, I let the bike run for a good 30mins as hasn't run all winter. She was outside the garage door and kept going in a circle. I let her in the garage slowly petting her saying "its ok its ok" but she was pulling back and didn't like it. She still came up to it though. Took another 30 mins of introduction. She's was only 6 ish months old. I haven't started the bike again cause ive been busy starting my new business. From what ive seen, Nyala was ok at the end. But I will be honest with you, when I saw her getting to close to the pipes I got worried and realized she can get burned. Yes I know my responsibility to ensure that she doesn't.

You have to remember a few things, dirt bikes are more high pitch sound hard on any dog's ears, he's only 10 months old, bikes are new to him....well you get my drift. Start slowly let the bike run, put him on a leash, walk around the bike but far enough, walk in circle with BOTH dogs on leashes, take your time to walk like 20 mins. Get closer to the bike and keep telling your dogs its ok its ok or something that your dogs are use to hear from you that secures them. Dont rev your bike as yours is much harder on ears. Have someone hold both dogs and turn the bike of and then on a few times. Also you can sit on the ground beside the bike and play with your dogs around the bike. Do this for a few days. Im sure he will get use to the bike. Basically you are introducing your dog to a loud bike. I say both dogs cause it's good for your bully seeing your other dog calm around the bike. :)

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
In puppy training, we were told to socialize, and if there came an obstacle the dog didn't like--feed them treats until they settled down. We have tried this with all sorts of things (lawnmowers, garbage cans, people). With louder items like lawnmowers, you really have to work at it consistently--increasing the time of exposure every day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ..... your babies are adorable!

i agree with the advice.... work him up to it and praise the behavior you want -- so when he is calm and not showing fear -- praise and reward.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN. Jewel and Bentley are not too keen on loud noises and would rather be in the house. They are real basket cases when fireworks go off. Bentley went ballistic ("over the edge") when a big tractor trailer went by while on a walk. Thank goodness he was on a leash or he would have run to the hills.

As far as some calming meds...there is a product called Adaptil and there is a product by Vetri-Science called Composure which are used to calm dogs down.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would give a try with some ear plugs-there are all kinds now and little by little he could learn to leave them on. Give him a ride on the bike-he may like it!!

OP
C

ChunkButt681

May 18, 2016
Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
That is a good idea. We will have to pull the bike out & have it running on its stand in the yard & keep an eye on him while he checks it out. We brought Harley around the bikes without Chunk around so she could experience them & hope she'd be an example for him, but all in time. :) We're just going to have to be patient & keep working with him. Will have to pull out the special treats!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That is a good idea. We will have to pull the bike out & have it running on its stand in the yard & keep an eye on him while he checks it out. We brought Harley around the bikes without Chunk around so she could experience them & hope she'd be an example for him, but all in time. :) We're just going to have to be patient & keep working with him. Will have to pull out the special treats!

Sidecar 1.jpegSidecar 2.jpeg

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
LOL!! Helsonwheels, love the pics!!!!!

Canelo we have worked on to get him socialize with things, not bikes but, the vacuum for one. His first exposure to a vacuum, he went over a couch to get away, now from repeated exposure he's ok with it. We take him to the country and take him to a cook out. He was getting upset to the number of people, the noise and the activity. I kept him with me, he chilled under our tent with me. He finally relaxed, give him food, oh yeah he was just fine. He did relax and going over and over, he got comfortable. He even goes with our nieces and nephews at the cook outs for walks. He loves people but we do watch him with noises. So far he does relax over time with love, and reassurance with noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.