Hello everyone, need help with my rescued aggressive bulldog

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hello everyone, yesterday I rescued a bulldog that was set to be euthanized due to being in the shelter for too long..
They did not allow me to do a meet and greet with my dog for some reason, but assured me she was dog friendly..

I get her home, and she most definitely is not dog friendly.. I know how to introduce new house mates, and know that it takes time, what I'm finding out is the poor girl is set in her ways, here's some background info..

She was dropped off to the pound list as 7 years old, and was owner surrender they listed her as dropped off due to "new owner allergies".
She has NO bottom teeth, she has a skin rash, and some decaying teeth, vet visit is scheduled for Monday to start taking care of these issues..

I felt bad that I had to adopt her despite my better nature against not being able to meet and greet..

I really would like to get her at least co-habituating with my other dog as he's been with me for 16 years (chocolate lab)...
Finding her a NEW home is my LAST resort after I've spent thousands in training if need-be. I really do not want to be another person in her life to give up on her..

I'm able to walk the two together with someone else walking my dog within 5 feet of one another, it's just when she's not on a leash, she seems to be aggressive.

13247824_10208883639602310_2545981252465535970_o.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15883]slawson[/MENTION], with everything this poor gal went through her aggressiveness is kind of normal. She's just protecting herself. Shelters, euthanized which dogs will sense/smell that a mile away, different owners and other issues from which you have absolutely no clue cause the shelter probably don't know more than you and why you probably had no meet n greet. You're a kind person for what you just did to save hers. It will take a lot of patience as you just got her. Is she aggressive with everyone or just your lab? If she's friendly with you, start by sitting on the floor so you're at her level. Just start like that for a couple days so she gets to know you. Baby steps. You raised your lab for 16yrs so im sure you will do fine. Just wait see what the vet has to says. Try to get a vet that knows bullies. She might have an issue that's causing her aggression because she's in pain or something else. For now who knows. Keep walking her with your lab even if it's 5ft apart that's still good! Keep her to you left and dont let her pass your leg make her heel. it will be hard for a couple weeks especially when you have a senior dog and dont want him to get hurt either. BTW, 16, that's great!

Dont forget to breathe and relax BEFORE you set off walking. See what the vet has to tell you and then you tell us lol.

OP
slawson

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
He was easy! I've never had any health issues out of him! He's still kicking like he's 5 again lol

I believe she may be blind as well, she's having a hard time not walking in to walls.. we'll see on Monday!

That's the main issue, not knowing anything about her, and no aggression towards me or my girlfriend, or any other human she's come in contact with, in fact she's very sweet and loving.. I'm expecting a little bit of a battle if she is blind, I'll do what I have to do though to ensure her and my labs safety, but as I mentioned dumping her again is just not an option.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and thank you very much for saving this girl.

You very much seem to know exactly what to do --- walks, walks, and more walks to get them to pack up. Since you have no background information on her, and what you describe, she say have been a backyard breeding --does she look to have had many litters? If this was the case, there is possibility she will not take to another dog due to always having been alone, in a crate or room so there is no social skills for her or like some dogs, she just does not like other dogs.

In the house, I'm sure you tough of this, but keep her on leash so you can grab and control her if necessary. If she is blind, there are 'halos' you can buy that help them get to know the limits of the rooms they are in. I'll try to find one and place the link here.

Found two.... but if go to google and type in 'halo for blind dogs' --- LOTS of information comes up

Muffin's Halo | Blind Dogs | Guide for Blind Dogs | Help for Blind Dogs | Aid for Blind Dogs

Dog Cone Alternative | Dog Head Protection | Blind Dog Vest

Let us know the results of the vet appointment and hopefully it will give me more information to help get to know her and work with her needs.

Best of luck.... keep us posted.

Last edited:
OP
slawson

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Welcome to EBN and thank you very much for saving this girl.

You very much seem to know exactly what to do --- walks, walks, and more walks to get them to pack up. Since you have no background information on her, and what you describe, she say have been a backyard breeding --does she look to have had many litters? If this was the case, there is possibility she will not take to another dog due to always having been alone, in a crate or room so there is no social skills for her or like some dogs, she just does not like other dogs.

In the house, I'm sure you tough of this, but keep her on leash so you can grab and control her if necessary. If she is blind, there are 'halos' you can buy that help them get to know the limits of the rooms they are in. I'll try to find one and place the link here.

Found two.... but if go to google and type in 'halo for blind dogs' --- LOTS of information comes up

Muffin's Halo | Blind Dogs | Guide for Blind Dogs | Help for Blind Dogs | Aid for Blind Dogs

Dog Cone Alternative | Dog Head Protection | Blind Dog Vest

Let us know the results of the vet appointment and hopefully it will give me more information to help get to know her and work with her needs.

Best of luck.... keep us posted.

I thought this at first, but she doesn't appear to have any of the signs of having many if any litters of puppies...
and her aggression seems to be when she can't see him.. it's odd, one moment she'll ignore he's even there, then what I can only describe as showing gums, lol

At night I have her created (which she seems to be okay with) so that my lab can sleep in bed with my girlfriend and I, as to not disturb his natural order.
I'm trying to get a faster appointment to an emergency vet today.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be she is afraid too... Possible the so called owners dumped her because she was going blind and with being in unfamiliar place she is just trying to protect herself.... Very normal if her blindness was sudden too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have nothing to add… just wanted to say Thanks for giving her a chance, and I wish you the best of luck!!!

OP
slawson

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I firmly believe she's afraid but taking to a lot of changes well.. she's now successfully going outside with me on the leash.

And of course i'd give her a chance, no senior dog deserves to die in a pound without the person they love!

OP
slawson

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
13244849_10208883637922268_8266968188753150268_n.jpg13220061_10208889616071718_865307088_n.jpg13250494_10206069371591416_750573312_n.jpg

Our trip to petsmart today to get her groomed to look fancy for the vet!
She did well, a few outbursts with other dogs, nothing too aggressive, but the aggression was there..

Side note: she LOVES my stepson (girlfriends kid)

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
great photos. I wish you the best luck in the world. Introducing two older dogs can be tough. Thank you for saving a life.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thank you for being her hero and giving her a home! Poor thing sitting on death row and dumped by her family -- she must have been terrified. It can take weeks even months for a dog to really settle in and feel safe. Hopefully the aggression is more that she's just scared and feels abandoned and that will dissipate as she feels like your home is her home. It sounds like you're taking all the right steps. Can't wait to hear how she progresses!

OP
slawson

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I unfortunately missed her vet appointment, I came down with appendicitis and have just been released from the hospital..
With that being said she has been rescheduled for tomorrow my mother will have to take her

Progress has been made...
She is now sleeping in the same room as my lab without barking and growling at him through the crate which is great progress..

When out of the crate she's coming up and showing me affection, such as cuddling me and licking me (I can't do much with her obviously right now).

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I unfortunately missed her vet appointment, I came down with appendicitis and have just been released from the hospital..
With that being said she has been rescheduled for tomorrow my mother will have to take her

Progress has been made...
She is now sleeping in the same room as my lab without barking and growling at him through the crate which is great progress..

When out of the crate she's coming up and showing me affection, such as cuddling me and licking me (I can't do much with her obviously right now).

WOW.... hope you heal up quick!

OP
slawson

slawson

May 14, 2016
Country
United State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
She only needs minor dental work

We've found out she's only aggressive when i'm around.
She was out with the other dog and a friends dog all day long playing with me out of sight.

I came out of my room to use the big boy potty, and instantly she got aggressive and protective.

I think we've found the issue

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She only needs minor dental work

We've found out she's only aggressive when i'm around.
She was out with the other dog and a friends dog all day long playing with me out of sight.

I came out of my room to use the big boy potty, and instantly she got aggressive and protective.

I think we've found the issue

:hmm: wonder if she knew you were sick and was protecting you?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.