Peeing on her bedding

EnglishKai

Feb 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kai
My Kai has this thing where she pees on any bedding I put in her crate. She LOVES her crate. The door will be open and she's free to roam around, but usually she will go chill in her crate unless something strikes her fancy. The issue is, I feel bad that she is just laying on the plastic bottom,but whenever I but a blanket or something soft in it for to lay on, she pees on it! Everytime! Without anything in the crate she's fine, no problems. Any idea of how to keep her from peeing on stuff so I can get her blankets without throwing them away daily? That gets pricey lol TIA!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is extremely normal behavior unfortunately… how old is she?

OP
E

EnglishKai

Feb 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kai
4 yrs old. Im her second owner and Im not sure of her pervious situation but I can tell she was crated a lot and under fed :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
4 yrs old. Im her second owner and Im not sure of her pervious situation but I can tell she was crated a lot and under fed :(

That could explain a LOT of what is going on here… does she have accidents in the house?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
How big is her crate? If the crate is too big, dogs will tend to use one part as their potty.

For now though, since she is not peeing on the plastic bottom it's probably better for her to sleep on the plastic bottom since she has associated blankets in her crate as a potty. Dogs are use to sleeping on hard surfaces so don't feel bad - this is for the best.

I would try reintroducing blankets out side of the crate as a place for her to sleep - do this under supervision. Encourage her to sleep on the blankets when she is outside of the crate. I would give it a few months of her sleeping on blankets outside of the crate and then after she starts going to the blankets to sleep by herself slowly move the blanket towards her crate until they are in her crate. This also means the only place she is allowed to sleep when she isn't in her crate is those blankets. No sofa, no bare floor, just those blankets.

It's going to be hard but there won't be an overnight solution. Baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
I'd pee on it and declare it as mine then throw it in there. A few times of that and maybe she'd give up?

Kidding......

Diesel used to do this too but for whatever reason, just stopped. I like the above idea of trying blankets right outside of it for a bit.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Will she pee on a dog bed too or just sheets? I had a puggle that was pee pad trained and ANY time she saw a run, sheet, blanket she would pee on it because she didn't know the difference. I'd get maybe a water-proof dog bed to try.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank you for giving her a new loving home..... she may need some time to settle in, but I would leave the bedding out of the crate and then once she is fully settled with you and comfortable try to reintroduce it. Some dogs, just can't have bedding ... they always pee on it for whatever reasoon

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
With our puppy, we were told it was scent and comfort issues. Peeing on bedding is a way to make everyone know 'hey this is mine' the kennel may need cleaned out with the anti urine pet cleaner stuff and some bleach, because it might be smell saturated. Anyway, it could be a security issue, and will take time to resolve.

cmiguez

Oct 21, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
This is great advice! My 1 year old Lily does the same thing except she also pees on my shag rug. I feel bad because she was just diagnosed with hip displacia, but to her it's not a problem to pee on her bedding in or outside of her crate.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
This is great advice! My 1 year old Lily does the same thing except she also pees on my shag rug. I feel bad because she was just diagnosed with hip displacia, but to her it's not a problem to pee on her bedding in or outside of her crate.

We had to get rid of our shag rug because Betty wouldn't stop peeing on it, no more rug, no more peeing in the house.

Good luck with Kai! Hopefully she will stop in time!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
My Kai has this thing where she pees on any bedding I put in her crate. She LOVES her crate. The door will be open and she's free to roam around, but usually she will go chill in her crate unless something strikes her fancy. The issue is, I feel bad that she is just laying on the plastic bottom,but whenever I but a blanket or something soft in it for to lay on, she pees on it! Everytime! Without anything in the crate she's fine, no problems. Any idea of how to keep her from peeing on stuff so I can get her blankets without throwing them away daily? That gets pricey lol TIA!!!

Our little Mabel used to also pee on her bed. She sometimes still does. We didn't take the bedding out, just bought 100% washable stuff. We washed the bedding frequently--sometimes every morning. I recommend putting plastic sheeting under the crate to protect from overflow or leakage. Giant trash bags are good--and can be changed frequently because they're inexpensive. A good biodeodorizer may help. We went through a lot of it. It is amazing how a dog can sense just a drop of urine. We use Biodeodorizer from Life's Abundance. PM me if you are interested. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]'s crate pads are amazing and 100% washable. They are thin, but provide some padding. We got a couple so one could be washing and drying. They hold up well after washing. We started limiting Mabel's fluid after about 8 at night and making sure she went out right before bed and "heading" her outside right after she wakes up. She has done better, but still occasionally has an accident. I'm not sure she really realizes she is doing it. Stick with her! She will eventually get it. I think it has a lot to do with how these little girls were raised. :(

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy has the same problem... not a rescue and potty trained. Just readded fluffy rug in her crate and I noticed she pee'ed on it. Also, sometimes she pees while sleeping..after a dog park visit where she drinks TONS of water... no matter how many times I take her out she will fall asleep due to being tired and pee!

They Call Me Meaty

May 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Meatball also pees on any cloth on the floor. He will not pee in his crate or downstairs, however, if he goes upstairs, he has this one spot in the tv room where he will poop (and eat it, which is another problem). I tired laying out beds, towels, sheets around where he sleeps, but he will also pee on it. He is 9 months and we have a rescue 8 year old jack terrier mix so I think he is just saying "this is my towel buddy", but none the less, it gets annoying constantly washing 1 towel at a time! HAHA!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.