Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeing on her bedding

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kai
    Likes (Received)

Question Peeing on her bedding

My Kai has this thing where she pees on any bedding I put in her crate. She LOVES her crate. The door will be open and she's free to roam around, but usually she will go chill in her crate unless something strikes her fancy. The issue is, I feel bad that she is just laying on the plastic bottom,but whenever I but a blanket or something soft in it for to lay on, she pees on it! Everytime! Without anything in the crate she's fine, no problems. Any idea of how to keep her from peeing on stuff so I can get her blankets without throwing them away daily? That gets pricey lol TIA!!!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Peeing on her bedding

This is extremely normal behavior unfortunately… how old is she?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kai
    Likes (Received)

4 yrs old. Im her second owner and Im not sure of her pervious situation but I can tell she was crated a lot and under fed

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishKai View Post
    4 yrs old. Im her second owner and Im not sure of her pervious situation but I can tell she was crated a lot and under fed
    That could explain a LOT of what is going on here… does she have accidents in the house?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

How big is her crate? If the crate is too big, dogs will tend to use one part as their potty.

For now though, since she is not peeing on the plastic bottom it's probably better for her to sleep on the plastic bottom since she has associated blankets in her crate as a potty. Dogs are use to sleeping on hard surfaces so don't feel bad - this is for the best.

I would try reintroducing blankets out side of the crate as a place for her to sleep - do this under supervision. Encourage her to sleep on the blankets when she is outside of the crate. I would give it a few months of her sleeping on blankets outside of the crate and then after she starts going to the blankets to sleep by herself slowly move the blanket towards her crate until they are in her crate. This also means the only place she is allowed to sleep when she isn't in her crate is those blankets. No sofa, no bare floor, just those blankets.

It's going to be hard but there won't be an overnight solution. Baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

I'd pee on it and declare it as mine then throw it in there. A few times of that and maybe she'd give up?

Kidding......

Diesel used to do this too but for whatever reason, just stopped. I like the above idea of trying blankets right outside of it for a bit.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Will she pee on a dog bed too or just sheets? I had a puggle that was pee pad trained and ANY time she saw a run, sheet, blanket she would pee on it because she didn't know the difference. I'd get maybe a water-proof dog bed to try.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

thank you for giving her a new loving home..... she may need some time to settle in, but I would leave the bedding out of the crate and then once she is fully settled with you and comfortable try to reintroduce it. Some dogs, just can't have bedding ... they always pee on it for whatever reasoon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

With our puppy, we were told it was scent and comfort issues. Peeing on bedding is a way to make everyone know 'hey this is mine' the kennel may need cleaned out with the anti urine pet cleaner stuff and some bleach, because it might be smell saturated. Anyway, it could be a security issue, and will take time to resolve.
    Fritthy

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

This is great advice! My 1 year old Lily does the same thing except she also pees on my shag rug. I feel bad because she was just diagnosed with hip displacia, but to her it's not a problem to pee on her bedding in or outside of her crate.

Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cmiguez View Post
    This is great advice! My 1 year old Lily does the same thing except she also pees on my shag rug. I feel bad because she was just diagnosed with hip displacia, but to her it's not a problem to pee on her bedding in or outside of her crate.
    We had to get rid of our shag rug because Betty wouldn't stop peeing on it, no more rug, no more peeing in the house.

Good luck with Kai! Hopefully she will stop in time!
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishKai View Post
    My Kai has this thing where she pees on any bedding I put in her crate. She LOVES her crate. The door will be open and she's free to roam around, but usually she will go chill in her crate unless something strikes her fancy. The issue is, I feel bad that she is just laying on the plastic bottom,but whenever I but a blanket or something soft in it for to lay on, she pees on it! Everytime! Without anything in the crate she's fine, no problems. Any idea of how to keep her from peeing on stuff so I can get her blankets without throwing them away daily? That gets pricey lol TIA!!!
    Our little Mabel used to also pee on her bed. She sometimes still does. We didn't take the bedding out, just bought 100% washable stuff. We washed the bedding frequently--sometimes every morning. I recommend putting plastic sheeting under the crate to protect from overflow or leakage. Giant trash bags are good--and can be changed frequently because they're inexpensive. A good biodeodorizer may help. We went through a lot of it. It is amazing how a dog can sense just a drop of urine. We use Biodeodorizer from Life's Abundance. PM me if you are interested. @JeannieCO's crate pads are amazing and 100% washable. They are thin, but provide some padding. We got a couple so one could be washing and drying. They hold up well after washing. We started limiting Mabel's fluid after about 8 at night and making sure she went out right before bed and "heading" her outside right after she wakes up. She has done better, but still occasionally has an accident. I'm not sure she really realizes she is doing it. Stick with her! She will eventually get it. I think it has a lot to do with how these little girls were raised.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads