How do I train my bulldog to drop something?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I have trained Fezzik to leave it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get him to drop something. Fezzik is very toy possessive with me so I tend to ignore him until he is sitting calmly by my side. At that time he usually let go of it for me. He will drop it for other dominant dogs, but for me will shake his head and growl to get me to play with him. I in turn keep ignoring him until he is calm. I do not play tug of war with him for these reasons.

He will sometimes drop it for a treat, but when he is in shake his head mode he will ignore the treat. Using another ball or toy rarely works. So does anyone have any suggestions?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Cheese!! lol Seriously, I have no idea, mine are jerks!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Treats will have to be used for awhile..... what we did with Lambeau is hold the toy even though it is in his mouth, give command of 'drop it' and as soon as he loosens up or lets go -- we did holy heck praise and gave the toy right back to him. The repeat a few times and had treats when we were done. It can be a tough one to train, but they eventually get it.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Liverworst or some other very high value treat. I agree with the other post in that you put your hand on the toy, bone whatever is in the mouth and don't play. Give the command and give the toy or bone right back or some really highvalue treat.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i have to use a treat with rocky but only problem now he goes for one of my stuff bears and comes to me now because he has learned that when he gets one he gets a treat.. he so rotten.. i love him though.. who ever says that were dumb dogs.. not my rocky..

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I've taught dozens of labs to drop and retrieve wild game, but I cannot get my EBD Boris to drop a single thing without a treat in hand :(

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Seriously - I have NO IDEA - Punk would just look at me with her "are you serious" look !!!! :lmaogirl:

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Same problem here... Izzy is very possessive of toys. She may drop it but the moment I move towards the toy she steps on top and claims it back! Such a jerk!

Tried treats and training.... her toy still means more to her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs don't drop toys,but I just take them-they don't resist. I started taking them when they were pups. I would take them and then give them back(unless it was something I didn't want them to have. )The only thing is a ball from Maude. She will not give me a ball-and if I try she will run with it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.