Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My 6-year old Bulldog, Maximus, appears Sad and Depressed to me. He sleeps probably 23-hours per day.
He has numerous health problems - from Allergies, to (2) torn ACL's, he is overweight at 83-lbs, and unfortunately he was not a candidate for ACL corrective surgery due to his weight. His personality has changed and he just 'looks' Sad to me when I look at him. I call his name, he doesn't even acknowledge me.
He sits and stares into space a lot of the time, or stares into the corners at the walls. I really don't know
what to do for him to make him Happier. I know he probably doesn't feel well, is in pain, etc. He is on a lot
of medications. I'm just feeling so bad right now about my poor Bulldog.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby. I'm sorry you're going through this with Patrick. I agree with you that he's probably in some pain, dogs usually won't show you that they are in pain, and Bullies have a high pain threshold. He's probably sleeping a lot because of a few issues like his age, he is 6 years old, so it is normal for them to sleep more, plus bullies tend to sleep more than other breeds anyway. He may have pain from his torn ACLs, and the extra weight is probably making that situation worse, since the extra weight would be causing extra stress to his joints. You could try a few different things to help him, such as reducing his food from 1 cup feedings to 3/4 of a cup feedings and top up his bowl with cooked vegetables like green beans, or broccoli so he will still feel full and satisfied but without the added calories. This may help him to lose some weight which will help his joints, pain and movement. Can you take him on a few smaller walks a day, maybe for no more than 10 minutes? The extra movement will also help him shed some weight, but will also help him from getting stiff from laying so much. Even sitting on the floor with him and playing with a ball will get him moving more. Do you give Patrick any supplements? You can give him a source of Omega Fatty Acids like Salmon oil or cod liver oil, or coconut Oil this are very beneficial to the joints, the hair and coat and also for the brain, I also give my guys plain unsweetened yogurt for the probiotics which aids in digestion and boosts the immune system, apple cider vinegar is also a great supplement with many health benefits. It is a natural anti inflammatory, and a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal, so it kills the bad bacteria in the body. 99% of all diseases including Arthritis is caused by inflammation in the body, and Allergies are caused by an abnormal response from the immune system, so by boosting the immune system, you can help him to fight allergies better and he will heal better from illnesses. I hope he feels better soon, and you can find some natural ways and supplements to help him. Please keep us Posted on how he's doing. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
This makes me feel so sad for both of you, Patrick.
Nothing worse than guilt, ugh!

Maybe a change of Vet, one with a concrete plan of
action to solve these issues, it is not hopeless!

My Cami is 8 yrs old and slowing down a bit however,
she's always been lazy (got her at 5) wouldn't walk, etc
and she injured her leg a couple times too & limped awhile
so gained weight. I reduced her kibble to 3/4 cup Am & PM
and added warmed 1 cup green beans to each feeding to fill
her up...no treats.

What are you feeding him right now (brand & amt)?

Is he on pain meds? Has his thyroid been checked, other blood work?

Has he been checked for parasites?

6 yrs old isn't that old, when has he last seen a Vet & had a work up?

Please update us...adding both of y'all to prayer list, sending hope &
strength to you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] Does the boy like the car? Maybe you could take him for some car rides and give him a change of scenery. They used to have a dog side of the beach in Beachwood.
Maybe he might like that!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi Lynn ...

Unfortunately, No, Maximus does not like the car at all ! Perhaps he relates the car to going to the Vet. LOL. So taking him for car rides won't be able to happen. He does need to get out for some fresh air and a change of scenery. He unfortunately has had to
stay in the house since he injured both of his ACL's.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This makes me feel so sad for both of you, Patrick.
Nothing worse than guilt, ugh!

Maybe a change of Vet, one with a concrete plan of
action to solve these issues, it is not hopeless!

My Cami is 8 yrs old and slowing down a bit however,
she's always been lazy (got her at 5) wouldn't walk, etc
and she injured her leg a couple times too & limped awhile
so gained weight. I reduced her kibble to 3/4 cup Am & PM
and added warmed 1 cup green beans to each feeding to fill
her up...no treats.

What are you feeding him right now (brand & amt)?

Is he on pain meds? Has his thyroid been checked, other blood work?

Has he been checked for parasites?

6 yrs old isn't that old, when has he last seen a Vet & had a work up?

Please update us...adding both of y'all to prayer list, sending hope &
strength to you!

:goodpost: I agree, maybe you need a second opinion of what is going on… maybe the meds are making him feel groggy and totally out of it.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hello...

Maximus is fed FROMM Weight Management dog food. He gets 1-cup in the morning, and 1-cup in the evening. He does not get any treats. He does get mini Lamb burgers, so that he can take his medications. Yes, he is on Pain Medication - he gets Tramadol at bedtime, he is also on Apoquel for his Allergies, Ketoconazole for any Yeast infections that pop up, Soloxine for his Thyroid (Yes, he has been tested for Hypothyroidism, and the labwork came back Normal), however Maximus' Dermatologist did want to start him on
the Soloxine to see if it improved his activity level.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi Lynn ...

Unfortunately, No, Maximus does not like the car at all ! Perhaps he relates the car to going to the Vet. LOL. So taking him for car rides won't be able to happen. He does need to get out for some fresh air and a change of scenery. He unfortunately has had to
stay in the house since he injured both of his ACL's.

Poor thing relates car = vet. Maybe just go for a drive a couple times a week at a park or river and just sit there with some favorite toys so he can relate car is not just for vets... also for relaxing with my master. Just a thought :)

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Good Morning Patrick! Is Maximus getting any sun? Even if he stays indoors, perhaps an open window for some fresh air and sun may help. I agree with denene; he's probably groggy from the meds. Jersey says "Try rubbing his ears... there's nothing better than a looonnnnnnnnggggggg ear massage!"

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Good Morning Patrick! Is Maximus getting any sun? Even if he stays indoors, perhaps an open window for some fresh air and sun may help. I agree with denene; he's probably groggy from the meds. Jersey says "Try rubbing his ears... there's nothing better than a looonnnnnnnnggggggg ear massage!"

Hi Susan,

I agree. I was just talking about this subject with a friend of mine. Yes, Maximus needs to get out of the house. It has been difficult because he is still limping as a result of his ACL injuries, so he really has to be carried out of the house to the front or back patio and yard. It's no problem as long as someone is here with me to help me do that.

Ear massage? Really. Wow. I have never heard of that. Tell me more ..........

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry this s happening. How about teaching him some tricks and get his mind working? They don't all involve exercise.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hi Susan,

I agree. I was just talking about this subject with a friend of mine. Yes, Maximus needs to get out of the house. It has been difficult because he is still limping as a result of his ACL injuries, so he really has to be carried out of the house to the front or back patio and yard. It's no problem as long as someone is here with me to help me do that.

Ear massage? Really. Wow. I have never heard of that. Tell me more ..........

Maybe you could get a used stroller or wagon and take Maximus on walks with you to get outside and see different things? Poor guy, I hope he feel better soon. I agree with those who said maybe a change to a more bully-savvy vet would help.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe you could get a used stroller or wagon and take Maximus on walks with you to get outside and see different things? Poor guy, I hope he feel better soon. I agree with those who said maybe a change to a more bully-savvy vet would help.

Great idea!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]...

A friend has just lost his bulldog due to enlarged heart.

Only 4 months back the Vet pronounced perfect heart in
a physical. This person worried & wanted x-rays as he had
a bulldog die from heart issues before this but Vet did no
x-rays as he said no need.

It was mentioned that bulldog was sad, depressed, gained
weight, lethargic.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Could he be a candidate for water therapy it is also a social event, learning new things and reactivating the brain sounds like a great idea for all of us keep them on their toes like they keep us. So sorry to read what you are going through and our fingers and paws are crossed that some sort of solution helps. Vikinggirl has given you great advice as I too need to lose so my joints can serve me better as well and the difference a few pounds make is huge. :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.