Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
How laid back is too laid back?

I have never met a dog who is so "whatever" about life until I met Hank. In the mornings, he'll sit in his crate and just sit there. I open the door and he'll sit there. It has gotten to the point where I've had to physically take him out because he won't come out on his own and I have to go to work. He doesn't bark at anything except when he is in his x pen and Daisy is outside it. When he goes outside, he pees and then sits. I have to coax him up to move so he'll realize that he has to poop. He doesn't mind being pet but he could also care less. He doesn't care to sit on anyone at all. He prefers the floor. He doesn't want to snuggle. It's almost like we're a necessity of life that he'd rather do without. Is being this aloof normal for English bulldogs?

Also, he gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. Watch out!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
have you been working with him.... even though he is young, training should be taking place. treats for sit or come and I would also use a treat to coax him out of his crate. Some are just as you mention, but it is a little odd for a puppy to not be demanding any attention or play. Is he playing with Daisy?

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
have you been working with him.... even though he is young, training should be taking place. treats for sit or come and I would also use a treat to coax him out of his crate. Some are just as you mention, but it is a little odd for a puppy to not be demanding any attention or play. Is he playing with Daisy?
We haven't been doing as much as we should. He starts puppy class tonight with my husband. Daisy just finished her class with me. I, just now, did a short session with him in the kitchen (without Daisy) and tried some tiny pieces of string cheese and boy was he motivated!! So we'll be doing more of that and using it to leave the crate. He definitely perked up with the cheese. He is playing with Daisy plenty. No problems there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[emoji23][emoji23].... Sounds like he will do well when food is involved [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Mamacita. Enjoy it while you can. Those were precious days. Before long you will be trained like Weesie and I. Try taking off a suit and tie with two Bulldogs on your feet. Hank sounds normal to me. Ralphie

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I have never met a dog who is so "whatever" about life until I met Hank. In the mornings, he'll sit in his crate and just sit there. I open the door and he'll sit there. It has gotten to the point where I've had to physically take him out because he won't come out on his own and I have to go to work. He doesn't bark at anything except when he is in his x pen and Daisy is outside it. When he goes outside, he pees and then sits. I have to coax him up to move so he'll realize that he has to poop. He doesn't mind being pet but he could also care less. He doesn't care to sit on anyone at all. He prefers the floor. He doesn't want to snuggle. It's almost like we're a necessity of life that he'd rather do without. Is being this aloof normal for English bulldogs?

Puppy classes are not home with you. Wishful thinking eh? Leave him in his crate and start saying ex: Let's get some food. Make sure you do give him food or a treat just to get him out. Make noise, ruffle bags, talk loudish or something. Dont drag him out or he will expect that every morning. If he's clean leave the crate door open. How old is he? Nyala gain 6lbs once in a week. Like whooa....

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Puppy classes are not home with you. Wishful thinking eh? Leave him in his crate and start saying ex: Let's get some food. Make sure you do give him food or a treat just to get him out. Make noise, ruffle bags, talk loudish or something. Dont drag him out or he will expect that every morning. If he's clean leave the crate door open. How old is he? Nyala gain 6lbs once in a week. Like whooa....
He's 10 weeks old. I'm definitely going to start offering treats to come out of the crate.

6 lbs in a week!!! What have we got ourselves into, haha!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He's 10 weeks old. I'm definitely going to start offering treats to come out of the crate.

6 lbs in a week!!! What have we got ourselves into, haha!!!

Yeah we got ourselves a few turkeys right? Hehe... she took that 6lbs around 4.5 months old. 10 weeks is small. Just a little fart. You'll have to make it interesting to get him out. Careful with the treats as he'll expect that each time. When I get up around 6ish am... since she's 3 months old I always say Lets go for a pee. Come on lets go let's go so she all happy and I walk outside with her each time all the way to the back of the yard where she has a pee n pooping area so she doesn't go on my grass. She does her business in that area and I always say good girl good pee in the back and give her a scratch on the back as she loves it. Basically what I am trying to say is make it interesting. Turn it to a game as he's only 10 weeks. 4 months down the road Nyala comes in my bedroom, jumps up standing on the side of the bed and just stays there till I pet her and get up. She runs to the door and waits till I get my jacket on even this winter I go out with her. She loves it. She knows once she does her routine she gets a good meal. Its our little routine.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
He sounds very independent! Bulldogs are certainly food motivated and some will be more laid back than others.

Izzy is independent too... dont care for cuddling. She does things at her own time. She will interact with her toys when she wants to play with you. But again, if I have food that dog is right next to me!

Slappy

May 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Haha, my Zeus is pretty much the same way. He can't be bothered with the small stuff.
Neighborhood kids throw the ball and it ends up in the yard? Eh, can't be bothered.
A nest of baby rabbits in the yard? Eh, can't be bothered.
Someone new walks in my front door? Eh, he ain't getting off the couch.
When we are sitting on the deck and the wife comes home, he doesn't even watch her enter the yard.
I've had him almost a month and heard him bark maybe 3 times.

I actually went to the vet and asked why he is so laid back. My old bulldog was a little monster. She did all blood tests imaginable and said he is perfectly healthy. He's just a laid back dude.

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

So, since I started this thread, I thought I'd update everyone. Hank is now 4 months old and is still laid back but ever since we went on vacation and left him with my sister in law, he has turned a corner and come out of his shell a lot. He is much more playful, has started wanting to be next to you and touched (even to the point of trying to sit on your lap if you're on the floor), and he seems genuinely excited to see any one of us come into the room. He walks in and out of his crate on his own. He is still fairly quiet, which is fine with me. Daisy does enough barking for both of them. And at about 730pm every evening, he becomes a wild child and starts to act up in the house. He is really starting to be part of the family and he is still growing like a weed (36 pounds at the vet yesterday)!!!

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Has Hank had all of his shots. I recall we could not start Jewel in classes until she had her shots.
Yes, got his last ones yesterday. The kennel where we take the dogs for classes only require the first set of shots to start puppy class. I guess they just want to see that you are working on them.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yes, got his last ones yesterday. The kennel where we take the dogs for classes only require the first set of shots to start puppy class. I guess they just want to see that you are working on them.

That's good. You will enjoy classes. My Jewel was the perfect Bulldog being stubborn and not doing the exercises/commands correctly. The class thought she was a hoot. So did I and we practiced at home a lot. Now it all wore off. Why...because we were inconsistent.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online