ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Many of you on here know about our issues w/Walter in the last couple of months… he had a horrible anal gland infection, and that has somehow turned him into a different dog. He has growled and snapped at us on occasion… mostly at my husband, but he has snapped at me and the kids (not Marcus thankfully). After the first episode I had our trainer Leah do a home visit, and she got him to go to his "place" when he gets into one of his moods. On his last vet visit a couple of weeks ago we put him thru the ringer w/labs, x-rays, and a total physical exam to make sure that he wasn't in physical pain. He snapped at the hubby, and the vet saw the entire episode… she advised me to contact Nikki Ivey from DogSpeak to come for a home visit. She feels that this is more than just anal gland pain, and she said that Nikki was the best in her opinion. All his labs and x-rays were clean… he is in perfect health.

Nikki will be here this week to do a home visit, and apparently she also gives us "homework" to work on during the week. After talking to some dog experts in my area, Nikki is highly praised as the BEST and she also has written books and has videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DogSpeak102

I'm looking forward to her visit, and what she thinks about Walter… I'm also kinda nervous :mellow: I have a feeling that she is going to change how we handle the dogs such as allowing them on the furniture and other issues. I have battled the hubby on some of these (especially the furniture) because I almost feel like Walter thinks he is the Alpha in our home. He doesn't pull that w/me, but I have noticed he tries to pull rank w/the hubby. We had initially wanted Walter to be neutered, but the vet wanted us to wait till Nikki did her initial assessment so YES that could be an issue for him as well. BUT to clarify he had started this behavior before Willow was brought into the home, so I don't think that he is showing out because now we have a female. It could be anything, so I'm letting the expert handle it… I will let you know how things go, and I hope that we can get Wallygator under control soon :(

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It will go great:assurred: I don't think you have to be nervous... the dog trainer we had kind of observed us as well, how we dealt the dogs and so on... and we had to answer a few questions on how we do things around the house. We also got home work... but it was small things, like having the dog sit before a meal and things like that. Will be interesting to hear how everything goes:)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It will go great:assurred: I don't think you have to be nervous... the dog trainer we had kind of observed us as well, how we dealt the dogs and so on... and we had to answer a few questions on how we do things around the house. We also got home work... but it was small things, like having the dog sit before a meal and things like that. Will be interesting to hear how everything goes:)

I always tend to overanalyze situations, it's in my nature… Lol I'm sure that things will go smoothly, I just wish I knew how to help Wally w/this :(

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm sure it'll go great!!! Good luck and please keep us posted! Hugs from Murray and me :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I always tend to overanalyze situations, it's in my nature… Lol I'm sure that things will go smoothly,
I just wish I knew how to help Wally w/this :(

That's part of it right there, Tracey, you feel guilty because you can't figure it out
and FIX it. Don't do that to yourself!!!

Try to stop worrying & relax in the knowledge that you ARE doing the best for everyone
and it's a GREAT thang! Rest in the expert's capable hands and look forward to getting
Wally back :)

I have nothing but admiration & respect for what you've done and now, are doing to solve
this difficult issue. Humans & animals are complex creatures...this is hard stuff, very hard
stuff...give yourself credit where credit is due!

Sending big hugs of love to all. I have faith in what you're doing and hope the answers and
positive behavior come quickly. Relax, take a breath and let go the control, have faith too.
*Said with compassion & understanding*

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
good luck, what a great chance to learn!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good job on getting a trainer. From what I read your dog is alpha for sure. Regarding Marcus, Walter hasn't bitten him (thank god) as you said. But would Walter bite Marcus if he would have the chance or would never touch Marcus? Trying to see if Walter is protecting Marcus from you guys. Also neutering a dog will NOT make it more calm whatsoever. Ive seen all sorts of dogs n trained that wasnt neutered and some were. No difference. If the dog has reached in his/her brain to a high level of aggression and wanting to be the boss as we say and has been like that for years, extremely hard to snap him out of it. It's fixable if it's a new thing but it's constant corrections 24/7. This has nothing to do cause it's a bulldog, it's any dog. I have a thing about dogs on sofas. Not all dogs will care but if you have an Alpha dog and you move even an inch and let your dog have your seat, well dog has won. Dog sits on you feet and we think it's cute well dog has won again cause he owns you by doing that. Dog is getting punished by the person that gives the order which would be you but looks at your husband cause he's the week one then looks back at you then him again, well dog is testing you see if you are going to give in. Like a kid they test us. Hope your husband sits on all the sessions when your trainer will come over and have the kids sit in too. Everyone in a household has to be all on the same page training any dog in the house or the dog will get confused and will figure out " Look I can do what I want " Good trainers will always give you great advise and show you how to correct issue. The rest is up to the family to implement what the trainer showed you. Keep your posted going im curious. :)

Well I should clarify… Wally has NOT bitten anyone, he won't even put his teeth on anyone. He snaps, and then walks away… my hubby even put his arm right in front of his mouth and he turned and walked away. He KNOWS that as soon as he does this crap, he's messed up! My hubby grew up w/male dogs getting their run of the house, I however did not… and this is our FIRST male dog. All of our dogs that lived past a year old have been female, and I know that there are strong willed females out there luckily we haven't had one yet (Willow is only 6 mos old right now). I do NOT agree w/letting the dogs on the furniture, and that one will not be easy but I'm willing to give it a try. I honestly do NOT believe that he will snap at Marcus, he steers clear of him because Willow is ALL OVER Marcus.

The other BIG issue is that my hubby is a contractor, and right now he's not here. He comes and goes depending on the jobs… and I'm starting to wonder if this is why Walter is confused. My son, his girlfriend and their son have moved out as well so we have had a LOT of changes since December to include getting Willow. Maybe ALL of these changes has contributed to Walter's behavior… I'm not sure.

Thank YOU so much for your insight, it's always nice to get another view on a situation. Sometimes we are too close to the problem to see the solutions… like being in the forest but not seeing the trees!!! Lol :biglaugh:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending all the good thoughts I can muster-for you and Walter! I am sure it will be resolved.(I would bet she'll say "no furniture!") Love to you :drawheart2:and Wally:drawheart:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well I should clarify… Wally has NOT bitten anyone, he won't even put his teeth on anyone. He snaps, and then walks away… my hubby even put his arm right in front of his mouth and he turned and walked away. He KNOWS that as soon as he does this crap, he's messed up! My hubby grew up w/male dogs getting their run of the house, I however did not… and this is our FIRST male dog. All of our dogs that lived past a year old have been female, and I know that there are strong willed females out there luckily we haven't had one yet (Willow is only 6 mos old right now). I do NOT agree w/letting the dogs on the furniture, and that one will not be easy but I'm willing to give it a try. I honestly do NOT believe that he will snap at Marcus, he steers clear of him because Willow is ALL OVER Marcus.

The other BIG issue is that my hubby is a contractor, and right now he's not here. He comes and goes depending on the jobs… and I'm starting to wonder if this is why Walter is confused. My son, his girlfriend and their son have moved out as well so we have had a LOT of changes since December to include getting Willow. Maybe ALL of these changes has contributed to Walter's behavior… I'm not sure.

Thank YOU so much for your insight, it's always nice to get another view on a situation. Sometimes we are too close to the problem to see the solutions… like being in the forest but not seeing the trees!!! Lol :biglaugh:

Ahhhhh sorry about that cause the way you wrote it. Now much clearer. :) well no matter what im sure you will get great solutions with Nikki.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
If the trainer is good you'll feel great and safe when she's with:) Even though we had a very bad situation with fighting I always felt calm when the trainer was there... I also analyze the crap out of things and it usually makes it harder than it really is:ashamed:

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Tracy, Joey and I are sending the BEST vibes your way! You're such a great inspiration to new bully parents like me. I thank you! I'll be following this thread daily and looking forward to hearing of Walter's progress and Nikki's advice.

Peace friend!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracy, Joey and I are sending the BEST vibes your way! You're such a great inspiration to new bully parents like me. I thank you! I'll be following this thread daily and looking forward to hearing of Walter's progress and Nikki's advice.

Peace friend!

Thanks for your kind words ;) NO matter how many bulldogs/dogs that I have owned I don't ever consider myself an expert… if I can bring anything to this thread is that sometimes you NEED to get a trainer involved, and the earlier the better!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ahhhhh sorry about that cause the way you wrote it. Now much clearer. :) well no matter what im sure you will get great solutions with Nikki.

That's the biggest reason I'm trying to nip this in the bud BEFORE it gets worse…

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I agree with [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] - looking forward to following this thread! Best of luck, Walter!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Sending good vibes to you and Wally. I'm sure it would all go well. But i get where you're coming from, fear of the uknown. I love that she gives assignment. Be looking forward to your updates. Have fun and goodluck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.