General Question training without treats

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
since we are looking at a lifetime of no treats and strict feeding because of mega E does anyone have suggestions for training without treats? She was doing so well, anything for food. Praise only gets us so far, and since Frith is just 6 months, basic training was not completed.

She is uber smart, and knows the routine at meal times, but beyond that i think it is more of a choice to strike against the lack of treats.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
so, a tiny bit of EZ Cheese smeared on your finger(for her to lick off) is a no go?
Hmmm, what else is there besides praise? I'll follow this and hope I learn something

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
we are even supposed to control water and make sure she stands on hind legs for five to ten minutes after drinking.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Man this is a tough one… normally after they get the commands down well, they will tell you to restrict the treats so they just follow the commands. How far did you get w/training before the Mega E kicked in?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Could she have a couple of licks of something tasty,as a reward? Like a lollipop type.....

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Could you use her food that she normally eats? Like one little piece of kibble?

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
We were three weeks in--she walks on a leash well (unless it's doggy daycare day) and she can sit (especially if I am going to throw a toy, or give her food--otherwise it's hit and miss on the sitting), and most times now chooses not to. She is polite and will wait to go through doors (but that is because she has been squished or had feet scraped by a few--and I think she is letting me go first to check the safety of the thing--so gallant). She can be polite, she just doesn't have it 100% or even most of the time. Lets just say she got the certificate for Beginning Training on the sympathy vote, and the "no child (doggie) left behind act" was in full swing.

I know they are a stubborn breed, we spent 20 minutes in the pouring rain, because I was not letting her in until she peed outside (six times in the house was enough). I am concerned about her behavior as she gets bigger and less easy to manage.

Do they make doggy lollipops? Hadn't thought of that. That would be just like flavored saliva, and is within the scope of things--whereas sadly no even a single kibble could lead to aspiration because it just sits in the esophagus rolling around. How would you make doggi lollipops? I will have to look into how to make lollipops and see if we can simply make them from beef broth or something and no sugar. . . hmmm . . .

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You could get a plastic popsicle tray,and freeze broth in it. [MENTION=15635]Frith[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I use to train dobermans and others and never used treats. Treats becomes an obligation and the dog will expect something. Errrr no! This is were YOU as the trainer has to step up and really stick to your guns as we say. A dog will do what you want if you insist. Like raising a child. You're the boss not the child. Like I mentioned once in a post, bullies are extremely special and pig headed. I know some dont agree but I use a choker only for training. The one I have is entwined with a cord in and out of each links. Nyala is 6 months so now is the time to get serious. Not a big fan of Cesar but sometimes he does have logic. He never uses treats with bad habit dogs. You don't need to explain nor chit chat with your dog. This is not conversation time. Use one word or two and that's it. He uses the shuuu i use "Hey" and will give a little poke if I have to. Example, Nyala has a bad habit jumping on people cause she loves ppl and want to play. I dont tell her get down get down get down. I go up to her, grab her collar put one hand on her bum and push down and say no, sit. I point my finger at her in her face. It confuses her the finger as she knows you means business cause i will poke her lightly. But any training is time and sticking to it. Takes patience. Like Monica mentioned Clickers are great cause it's a different noise. You praise your dog when he/she understood to sit on command. Now you can chit chat, some good boy/girl while petting with kisses..... Ahhh now the dog got it!

Like any trainer will tell you, consistent is the magic in training. it's 24/7.... We work, we have long days, got to prepare supper, kids, homework etc etc etc....well the pooch still needs you 24/7. Try the clicker. Look it up on YouTube how it works. Good helper. :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
How about using his own kibble and reducing how much food hes given at meal time by what you give him while training? I do that often with my girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
What about using a favorite toy? It's a bit easier to do with some commands then others, but with Betty, we get her to sit for her toy, then throw it for her after she does it correctly, same with leave it, paw, etc.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
What about using a favorite toy? It's a bit easier to do with some commands then others, but with Betty, we get her to sit for her toy, then throw it for her after she does it correctly, same with leave it, paw, etc.

Exactly what i was about to suggest. Working dogs are mainly trained not with treats but with toys and play. I also use toy as a reward because Bifi is more play motivated than food motivated. He won't drop a ball that he stole from another dog no matter how delicious the food is, unless i show him a more interesting toy than what he is holding.

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
These are all great suggestions--we use a clicker, but only with treats--I have great ideas from this--thank you all. I am beginning to see hope again.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.